Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thinking of retiring my main squeeze....but what would i buy to replace it??Opinions please!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchman said:
    Given how specific your needs are, If you have the money, then talking to @FelineGuitars might well be a good option.
    Sadly I don't have the money!! I'l almost certainly be looking for something 2nd hand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Feline Lion Special. Most comfortable guitar I've ever had - so well balanced (and light). Plays like a dream, sounds fantastic. 

You're welcome to try mine if you're ever in SW London (although I ain't selling it!)
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Ah sorry. Just seen comment above. They do come up second hand tho. And well worth it. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    why replace it?? Get it to a luthier and have a refret and adjustments...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I've had 2 90's ebony board studios, and although they were nice guitars, they didn;t seem to have the same feel as the custom has. Rounder necks and not as aggressive, I even put the same pikcups in one of them and it was still quite a bit warmer.
    Hopefully not to hijack the thread too much, but that fits with what I've noticed too - the ebony board Studios are closer, but not the same.

There is *something* that makes Customs sound so great, and even accounting for the ebony board and I honestly think the size of the headstock has something to do with it as well. The large 'CBS' Strat headstock has a similar effect on Strats, to me - and extra mass right at the end of the neck will definitely change its resonance, so it's not as unlikely as it may seem.

Gibson seem to also purposely select heavy wood for Customs - or perhaps they're just more concerned with using the lighter stuff for Standards, since Standard buyers tend to be more fussy!

Studios are odd in that the grade of mahogany seems lower - most of the ones I've seen with broken headstocks (which is a lot) seem to have a softer, more 'fibrous' wood structure. I wouldn't be surprised if that has some effect as well.

I don't think it's the binding and the gold plating, anyway!
    I'm glad it's not just me!!

I think that 90's gibsons are my favourites in general, but there's definitely something about the custom that I haven't found in anything else yet,
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    Or ...look what we have here (clocking in at under 9lbs : 8lbs 10 oz)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I'd be looking at having a quality luthier tinker with it. Talk to them of your concerns and requirements, let them assess and advise you. If you like the answers give them the go ahead and get YOUR guitar on top line ready to gig.
    Apart from the weight issues it has everything you want.

• Or ...look what we have here (clocking in at under 9lbs : 8lbs 10 oz)

oh my word!!!

Whats the ballpark figure for something like that??
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    edited September 2017

One point I'd make; going from a Black LP Custom which oozes cool, to any PRS which is the least cool guitar ever, to play punk on doesn't really seem viable to me.

It's like having a Ramones tee shirt made by Hugo Boss's Lewis Hamilton range.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited September 2017
    I'd go for a PRS Singlecut.
    As for punk/rock bands using PRS guitars- I think that misunderstands how much the brand has moved on and how much punk has moved on too.

Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Sleeping with Sirens come to mind- there are loads of others.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    Gassage said:

One point I'd make; going from a Black LP Custom which oozes cool, to any PRS which is the least cool guitar ever, to play punk on doesn't really seem viable to me.

This in spades.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited September 2017
    Maybe an ESP Eclipse? 

I play similar stuff on an SG having always been an LP-only player - get the right pickups and you should have all the bottom end you need. It wouldn't be the stoner rock guitar of choice if they all sounded thin. Definitely don't quite have the full fat tone of a good LP though but you do get used to it.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    You can get a PRS in a plain colour like black without the blingy maple top.
  • I'd go for Reverend Sensei RA but IMO I can't see a LPC like that being replaced.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Historic Les Paul Custom Re-Issue.
     We are coming up to 25 years of production so there are plenty around.
    Take your time looking. Weights are variable.

It sounds like you are very fond of your guitar so the concept of "retiring" it  makes sense. You can enjoy it at home.

• Skipped said:
    Historic Les Paul Custom Re-Issue.
     We are coming up to 25 years of production so there are plenty around.
    Take your time looking. Weights are variable.

It sounds like you are very fond of your guitar so the concept of "retiring" it  makes sense. You can enjoy it at home.
    Exactly. I have a friend who plays in a function band that does something similiar, plays his custom at home and gigs with a couple of humbucker loaded telecasters.  
    Mine will be played at home and recorded, but not gigged heavily anymore.
  • Gassage said:

You got that right!!
  • octatonic said:
    As for punk/rock bands using PRS guitars- I think that misunderstands how much the brand has moved on and how much punk has moved on too.

Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Sleeping with Sirens come to mind- there are loads of others.

Yep PRS have been a main brand for any kind of high gain music for at least 15 years now. 

One of the reasons I bought my PRS SC is its 2lb lighter than my Les Paul. They do sound different though I like both. 
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    edited September 2017
    octatonic said:

Yep PRS have been a main brand for any kind of high gain music for at least 15 years now. 

One of the reasons I bought my PRS SC is its 2lb lighter than my Les Paul. They do sound different though I like both. 
    I associate them with more modern styles, and / or mor erefined styles an dplayers. MAybe I'm wrong!!
    I have always wanted to try a PRS, but have always though tthey'd be too flashy or pricey for me.
    WHat's their aggressive sounding singlcut for me to try?? They always seem quite refined to me, although I may be wrong!!
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited September 2017
    The stock pickups on some are quite polite I agree. I've got a set of Duncan Blackouts in my SC right now and it's plenty aggressive.

As far as tone goes, the US Tremonti is a great rock guitar with a pretty aggressive bridge pickup. I'm not sure if they're doing a hardtail right now though, most Tremonti models have the trem which you might not want. Tremonti was a Les Paul player before going to PRS.

I think the older SC250 model had hot pickups, but you'd have to check as the specs of some models have changed a bit over the years