Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thinking of retiring my main squeeze....but what would i buy to replace it??Opinions please!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Don't think you can't achieve the same aggression as that guitar with another just because you used the same pickups in another and it didn't cut it. 

Slash's signature pickup set was made to duplicate the sound of stock alnico 2 pros in his original because the new guitars didn't have the same aggression. They have significantly different specifications.

Any decent pickup builder can compensate for the differences in a guitar's characteristics to make a pickup that makes your guitar sound the same from a different starting point.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    octatonic said:
    I'd go for a PRS Singlecut.
    As for punk/rock bands using PRS guitars- I think that misunderstands how much the brand has moved on and how much punk has moved on too.

Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Sleeping with Sirens come to mind- there are loads of others.

Australians haven't been wronger than this since Glenn McGrath predicted a 5-0 Aussie whitewash in 2005.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:
    As for punk/rock bands using PRS guitars- I think that misunderstands how much the brand has moved on and how much punk has moved on too.

Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Sleeping with Sirens come to mind- there are loads of others.

Australians haven't been wronger than this since Glenn McGrath predicted a 5-0 Aussie whitewash in 2005.
    Why do you always bring up sport (which I don't give a fuck about) when discussing things like this?
    Seriously, you don't have a clue about this stuff- stick to Gilmour.

PRS guitars are one of the main guitar choices for hard rock and metal bands and have been for the last 20 years.
    Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, Porcupine Tree, Alter Bridge, Shinedown all us them- and loads and loads more players.

Anyone who thinks they sound polite:

But honestly- it isn't really the sound of the guitar you are hearing here- it is the amp/effects and the production choices.
    A lot of the hard rock albums you hear these days are made with Fractal/Kemper type devices- that workflow particularly suits high gain sounds.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:

Why do you always bring up sport (which I don't give a fuck about) when discussing things like this?

13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:

That is pretty pathetic, James.
    You have no comment on the substance of what I am saying (because I'm right) so you try to make it personal.
    You can post all the .jpgs you like but you won't stop being completely, utterly, stupefyingly wrong on this issue.

You want to communicate via .jpg- ok, well I guess this will do...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Depends on your definition of "punk".

For example: my old band played punk and new wave covers - mainly old school stuff. A PRS would look a tad incongruous for that tbh. Likewise, playing a flying V at a country gig looks a bit odd (despite Gibson thinking that was a potential market for that instrument).  For that band I started off using the SG, I used a Les Paul Special and ended up using the Goldtop... now that did look a touch odd but sounded the part.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    edited September 2017
    Something like this in black isn't going to get any punters worried about image:

The only people who will get worked up about it are guitarists who have a certain image of what a PRS is.

Given that Tony Blair is meant to be a Strat owner, anyone who owns a Strat is completely unqualified to say what is cool anyway.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:

You have no comment on the substance of what I am saying (because I'm right) so you try to make it personal.
    You can post all the .jpgs you like but you won't stop being completely, utterly, stupefyingly wrong on this issue.

One day, you'll get a sense of humour. You really will.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Stand by your beds...

Nothing is sacred
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Gassage said:
    octatonic said:
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:

If the stupid shit you say passes for humour then I certainly hope not. :)

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Wider strap.

Nothing else sounds like a good heavy Les Paul Custom.
    Nothing else feels like them either, they are stupid heavy, I did my back in years ago with one after owning it a week.  Nearly did it again hiking it to Denmark St to shift.
    octatonic said:
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:

What the fuck is wrong with you today?

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Gassage and Octatonic - the new Emp and Drew??
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:

What the fuck is wrong with you today?
    Nothing wrong with me, James.
    What is wrong with you, chap?

crunchman said:
    Steady on.
  • This was an interesting thread until Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi started. I'm genuinely interested, as my LP will be 30 years old on the date in my sig. Modmins: Any chance of splitting this thread into genuine replies in one and handbags in another? ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    This was an interesting thread until Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi started. I'm genuinely interested, as my LP will be 30 years old on the date in my sig. Modmins: Any chance of splitting this thread into genuine replies in one and handbags in another? ;)
    Point taken. I shall refrain.

This was an interesting thread until Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi started. I'm genuinely interested, as my LP will be 30 years old on the date in my sig. Modmins: Any chance of splitting this thread into genuine replies in one and handbags in another? ;)
    Fair enough- I'll stay out of it.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786
    crunchman said:

Nature abhors a vacuum . . .
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom