What to do with PRS SE Singlecut - new pickups?

What's Hot
I've had a PRS SE single cut sitting around for a couple of years - I bought it as my keep in the car guitar as I travel a lot for work and it makes a more productive evening. Nice bargain, on eBay and means I don't have to worry about my pricey ones getting beaten up/knicked.

It's one of these:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/SESCRBT/solid-body-electric-guitars/prs-se-singlecut-in-royal-blue-with-trem

Not travelling too much lately, so I thought of making more use of it. I was thinking of putting in some P90's, as I've already got 3 other USA PRS's that have all the humbucker/coil tap territory taken care of. But does anyone know what good in the humbucker sized P90 world?

Never owned a P90 guitar, so thought it would be a good chance to get used to them a bit more.

Anyone know humbucker sized P90's that are particularly good, or any that I really should avoid?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited September 2017
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with ToneRider or IronGear pickups. 
    Both do a HB sized P90. Both are CHEAP too. For a spare guitar they're ideal. 

The IronGear alchemist90 gets a particularly good write up. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    edited September 2017
    PRS SE guitars seem to love P90s. Have an SE One, SE Soapbar and an SE Custom Semi-hollow that I modified with Seymour Duncan P-Rails pickups in Triple Shot mounting surrounds.

I recommend the latter for your guitar. The installation is fairly involved. The end result is a multi-purpose guitar capable of numerous tones.

In fairness, I must admit that some of the coil permutations presented by the Triple Shot system are not especially usable (to my ears). It might be easier and more affordable to have fewer switchable options and govern them through either push-pull pots or a Freeway 3x3-03 six position toggle selector switch.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Check this thread out of my modding of a PRS SE SC

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/36470/prs-se-sc-korina-honey-now-a-mod-refinish-thread

Mojo do all sorts of P90, GoldFoil, MojoTron H/B sized pickups.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Jalapeno said:

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/36470/prs-se-sc-korina-honey-now-a-mod-refinish-thread

Filtertrons and Golffoils are not types of P90. 
    Not trying to be a smartass, but I think it's necessary to clarify that for anyone who doesn't know.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7777

I put a set of Seymour Duncan Phat Cats in a PRS SE yesterday and was very impressed with them.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Thanks guys thinking the Phat Cats or the Tonerider Rebel  90's - will have a shop around, the Toneriders are the current favourites!
  • I put a set of Tone Rider Alnico II humbuckers in my SE and it sounded 100% better.  Toneriders are pretty decent pickups.  Of course they are made to a budget, but essentially, there's nothing really wrong with them.
  • I've gone for the Toneriders, should give me a good feel for P90's without buying another guitar - likely to just fuel the need for a new guitar though...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    A pair of Jason Lollars P90s will transform your guitar. Costly but worth every penny/cent..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited September 2017
    Alegree said:
    Jalapeno said:

Not trying to be a smartass, but I think it's necessary to clarify that for anyone who doesn't know.
    Golffoils aren't a pickup of any sort ....  I think it's necessary to clarify that for anyone who doesn't know ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Jalapeno said:
    Alegree said:
    Jalapeno said:

Golffoils aren't a pickup of any sort ....  I think it's necessary to clarify that for anyone who doesn't know ;)
    Ok have a wis.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • My son-in-law tried both Irongear and Oil City HB sized P90's in a couple of his guitars. The Irongear sounded very good but the Oil City was at another level. Depends how much you want to spend really. For a guitar that's a bit of a beater, you'd probably be very satisfied with the Irongears.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Right tone riders have arrived today - so tonight hopefully I can wire them up