Planning permission

What's Hot
underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
edited September 2017 in Off Topic
Has anyone done this for a wooden shed in their front garden?

According to planning laws any out building at the front of the house would require planning 

My street doesn't have a road running in front of it, just a small private lane, I have an elevated hardstand at the front of the house (we live on the downwards slope of a mountain) for parking, then about 5 foot lower than that (and closer to the house) I've got an 11ft X 9ft concrete slab I want to put a she'd on.

Didn't realise I couldn't just build at the front of the house.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    Speak to your local planning office and see what they say, I've usually found them to be pretty helpful. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    boogieman said:
    Speak to your local planning office and see what they say, I've usually found them to be pretty helpful. 

That would remove my option of just build it without telling them though :D

A neighbour has a prefab shed on his drive a d also a large playhouse in his front garden 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    In terms of planning different rules apply to certain areas, so no satalight dish in a protected area of timber framed thatch cottages. In terms of a typical garden shed it is usually considerred temporary and not subject to planning laws, however something 40ft by 60ft might not be within that rule. Front and back gardens might be overlooked or block the view of neighbours so your best bet is to pop in and see your local planning agent for a chat, they'll put you right and at this stage it costs nothing but some of your time.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30882

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:

Looking at that, it would suggest I'm OK as it states "past the front elevation of house that faces on to a road". There is no road, that is about 20ft higher than my garden
  • maybe if you put wheels on it it counts as a moveable structure? dont take my word for it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Gassage said:
    Is South Wales part of Northern Ireland now?
    mart said:
    Gassage said:
    Is South Wales part of Northern Ireland now?

If it helps me avoid planning permission yes it is :D
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017
    ESBlonde said:
    In terms of planning different rules apply to certain areas, so no satalight dish in a protected area of timber framed thatch cottages. In terms of a typical garden shed it is usually considerred temporary and not subject to planning laws, however something 40ft by 60ft might not be within that rule. Front and back gardens might be overlooked or block the view of neighbours so your best bet is to pop in and see your local planning agent for a chat, they'll put you right and at this stage it costs nothing but some of your time.

That's all true it seems unless it's in front of your house, which makes sense for a row of houses with small front gardens that have a road next to it, but my house is in a street of 6 houses in a private lane (it's not posh at all just the way the Council have avoided maintaining our lane).

Also the closest road is 20ft higher than the front of my house, and about 20ft away in distance too.

I will contact the council and be vague about where I live, or even use a similar local street as an example rather than my actual address.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    underdog said:
    boogieman said:

A neighbour has a prefab shed on his drive a d also a large playhouse in his front garden 
    There's a precedent then, so you might be ok. Alternatively you could build it without PP and then have to demolish it if/when the council find out. Depends how on the ball your council is: the guy who's built an oversize extension next door to my mum's place got rumbled and has just had to knock the whole lot down. He ain't happy.  (It wasn't me or my mum that dobbed him in, in case you're wondering). You could always just ring the planners and pretend to be someone else  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    IME the planning officers are really helpful, and don't take notes (unless it DOES refer to a specific planning application).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    underdog said:
    boogieman said:

I've got a similar dilema. I want to remove a window from a ground floor room and replace it with stone to match the wall. It overlooks the road outside and whilst it is the end of the house, it is the elevation which faces out as my house is sideways to the road. I've looked on the PD guidelines on the planning portal but can't find anything about blocking windows but it is a change which arguably impacts how the house looks from the highway (for the better imo). I'm tempted to just do it and hope nobody notices/reports. I also want to do the same with a doorway, again visible(ish) from the road.

I think you probably do need PP for a shed to the front of the house, I do seem to remember seeing it mentioned. 

• Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Having learned from video games the main problem most people have when building new buildings on their property is that they just lay down and take it if anyone has a problem. If you build enough turrets and have a good energy supply then you dont have to answer to anyone.I have never yet seen the building regulators try to rush a heavily fortified position and even if they did they have weak armour and hardly any hitpoints.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • looks like it's more of a deal if it's out the front, and I don't think that having an unofficial road makes a difference

But: moving a shed is no real effort, so where's the big risk?
  • Sambostar said:

The Mom is scary but attractive in an odd way
    looks like it's more of a deal if it's out the front, and I don't think that having an unofficial road makes a difference

But: moving a shed is no real effort, so where's the big risk?

The kicker for me is that I've done a lot of work on the front this summer purely to have this slab poured to put a shed on (for motorbike storage/workshop). Never considered a planning issue given neighbours outbuildings.

If it's a no go then I'd have nowhere useful to move the shed to, and an 11ft slab with no use :D

"A friend" did build his porch without planning about 5 years ago and got away with it though 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    If others have sheds out front - just make sure yours is inline with them
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    put it on a wheel based chassis and enjoy it doubling up as a caravan ideal for weekend fishing trips , beach hut , woodland cabin,mountain cabin ,grown up doll's house or just playing Pikey after work .....get a nice hedgehog roast going etc
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    The 'put wheels on it'' strategy rarely works unless it it is truly mobile. I was appointed to submit a retrospective planning application for a land owner in Midhurst who had built a Polo Field, A Riding Arena, A Stables and An Office (on wheels). They had to tear down the office!

Unless you have been asked specifically by your local authority to submit a planning application, do nothing. Once the structure has been in place for 3 years it is presumed to have permission. 

If you have been asked to submit the application look at any and all planning applications on your street (available online) and use any similar approved applications to make your case in a statement that can accompany the application along with the drawings.