Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD - JFMJ

What's Hot
At the risk of being called 'smug' again, I just have to post another New Guitar Day...

This one is a Johnny F***ing Marr Jaguar.

It is, to be fair, instant love at first play.

I get why people must love and hate jags; that instant plinky under powered sound... but man, it is SO full of melody and subtly. I love the variety and versatility of it.

Bloody great guitar, and an instant threat to the new vintage '72 Thinline I was so fortunate to get last week.

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Many many special thanks to Mike @MikeDearing who has been an absolute joy to deal with, and kindly drove a long way to make this happen !

Cheers Mike :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That is a belter, great choice. You know how much I love my own black JMFJ.
  • That’s very very pretty. Nice 
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    edited September 2017
    Love that colour!!

How do you get on with the pickup selector? I'd be smacking that all day long
  • Congratulations, I got a white one a few weeks back, great guitars! Really like the colour combo with the tort guard.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Jags rock.
    Great little guitars.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Lovely colour, fab guitar. Jags can bite you when you're having a bad day, make you question why you are making life so hard for yourself, but on a good day nothing inspires more in my estimation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    Lovely colour, fab guitar. Jags can bite you when you're having a bad day, make you question why you are making life so hard for yourself, but on a good day nothing inspires more in my estimation.

Absolutely spot on, this.

I have two Marrs. They sound like nothing else I own. Great guitars 

• Change that tort, it clashes with your sofa. I think maybe a dark brown tort would work better with KO Orange?

Apart from that, what a beaut!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    Explain mate, if you may, what makes then difficult sometimes ? Is it the set up ? Sound ?

Cheers
  • ah, once again I'm finding myself jealous of a @wazmeister purchase... good stuff!
    dindude said:
    Explain mate, if you may, what makes then difficult sometimes ? Is it the set up ? Sound ?

Cheers
    Ok, 7.25 radius neck (resulting in higher action) plus the bridge set up, plus 24" scale length (thus usually heavier strings, often wound third) mean that they don't lend themselves naturally to lots of string bending etc, especially up the neck. I do this a lot on my other guitars stuff which is frankly impossible on the Jag. The sustain is shorter than your average guitar which also makes you work harder, then the pickups are weak so again they make you work and think differently.

BUT, those overtones you get from the trem, those pickups when you stress them under some moderate gain, the articulation, and the way it makes me play differently (can't default to bluesy bends at the 12th fret). So worth it.

• @dindude - you know, you are spot on. I have definitely played differently and mor melodic tonight, despite yhose two E strings sometimes slipping off the board,...!

The staytrem will put that  right Im sure :)
    @dindude - you know, you are spot on. I have definitely played differently and mor melodic tonight, despite yhose two E strings sometimes slipping off the board,...!

The staytrem will put that  right Im sure :)
    Yes a staytrem will see you right there.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    edited September 2017
    dindude said:
    dindude said:

Cheers
    Ok, 7.25 radius neck (resulting in higher action) plus the bridge set up, plus 24" scale length (thus usually heavier strings, often wound third) mean that they don't lend themselves naturally to lots of string bending etc, especially up the neck. I do this a lot on my other guitars stuff which is frankly impossible on the Jag. The sustain is shorter than your average guitar which also makes you work harder, then the pickups are weak so again they make you work and think differently.

BUT, those overtones you get from the trem, those pickups when you stress them under some moderate gain, the articulation, and the way it makes me play differently (can't default to bluesy bends at the 12th fret). So worth it.

I had a JM Jag and struggled a bit with the radius. Wish I'd kept it tho as was a great sounding guitar. Just need to see it as horses for courses I think. 
  • Wow that looks amazing!! Dibs haha
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • Wazmeister said:

...an instant threat to the new vintage '72 Thinline I was so fortunate to get last week.

Dibs!

R.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    edited September 2017
    Wazmeister said:

...an instant threat to the new vintage '72 Thinline I was so fortunate to get last week.

Dibs!

R.
    @robinbowes ; I'm serious mate !!

Big spending lately, and I may have over reached, and something (ie the gorgeous Thinline) may have to give !
  • Wazmeister said:

Dibs!

R.
    @robinbowes ; I'm serious mate !!

Big spending lately, and I may have over reached, and something (ie the gorgeous Thinline) may have to give !
    Msg me details (inc. price) - I may be interested...

R.