Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hello everyone...

What's Hot
p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
....I'm back :)

Some of you may remember I took a break from this forum after dislocating a couple of fingers on my fretting hand in February, giving me a chance to take stock and get on with a few other things in my life outside music. 

I have made a pretty good recovery all in all, I can now use my third finger although it's very weak, but my fourth finger is pretty much useless still. I carried on doing the PA for my band and contributing the odd two-finger(!) solo, and can add a fair bit of textural chordal stuff with heavy use of a capo. 

I've actually been very lucky - although I can no longer do three-hour acoustic sets I hated them anyway, and have been enjoying just noodling around on the guitar at home purely for my own pleasure. 

I did do a short acoustic set with our singer on top of (and inside) a dam, simply because I'd never done that before, and have done some easy festival sets with the band.

I also got my hands back on my old '63 Strat after a 20 year break, after the death of my ex-missus. She told me and everyone else that she'd burnt it in 1997, but actually just threw it in a cupboard and eventually left it to me in her will. I gigged it from 1982-97, but having lost it once felt no attachment to it whatsoever, so promptly sold it.
It was a pretty tired refin tbh, with a very worn neck with a painfully thin veneer board, though it still sounds as rowdy as I remember. Here's a video of my clanking out some noise just running through switch positions.

Having a break this summer has been fantastic, long days on old motorbikes, cooking over bonfires in the woods, drunken canoe trips - all that stuff you fantasise about when you're gigging all the bloody time!

So.... what did I miss?!

http://i67.tinypic.com/m75l68.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/hvzara.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/120nj2u.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/11s2trt.jpg

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    Nice to see you back @p90fool sounds like a most eventful summer!

Great playing as always
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd struggle to do a 3 hour acoustic set - electric so much easier (though personally I'm more into acoustic just now). Good to have you back and... badass beard!!
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Welcome back! Glad you're on the mend and enjoying life.

As for what's been going on over here... where should I start :lol:
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited September 2017
    :)

Oh regarding acoustic...!! I always had zero problems playing a little Martin.. but it just isn't as good as a larger guitar... But aside from steel string, have you tried a nylon string guitar? Much easier though perhaps not best suited for all types of song. It's something I've been thinking about, anyway.
  • Welcome back - the Strat story is incredible! It must be wonderful to have it back - ‘63 was a great year for ‘big’ sounding Strats.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    Hello again. Great playing on the Strat (if that's you with a weak hand, then god help the rest of us). It sounds very sweet too, must be great to have an old friend back. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Good to have you back. I always enjoyed your posts and your playing. Looking forward to more :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Glad your getting better. :) great playing as usual 
  • Welcome back!
  • :)

Oh regarding acoustic...!! I always had zero problems playing a little Martin.. but it just isn't as good as a larger guitar... But aside from steel string, have you tried a nylon string guitar? Much easier though perhaps not best suited for all types of song. It's something I've been thinking about, anyway.
    Welcome back! Regarding Thomas's point...  I've got an 0-16NY Martin strung with Silk & Steel strings that has similar tension to a nylon-strung classical but sounds like a steel-strung guitar. Very easy on the fretting fingers. Decent tone (within the limits of the small body).
  • Silk & steel....? Are those on a "nylon string" guitar? Interesting!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Welcome back chum.
  • p90fool said:

Having a break this summer has been fantastic, long days on old motorbikes, cooking over bonfires in the woods, drunken canoe trips - all that stuff you fantasise about when you're gigging all the bloody time!

Great story.

I feel like doing this at the minute.  Strangely I'm finding being out so much is making me a worse player.  Fingers hurt and I'm not getting time to just sit and see where the guitar takes me.  I think not playing for a bit, or at least not playing unless you want to is great for creativity and developing new techniques.   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Wotcher guv !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    Marnin'
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    3 Hour acoustic sets!
    Yes I have done them, but so rarely that hand strength was usually an issue. I had my Electro acoustic Epiphone setup with a slick low action as best I could to get me through. It worked surprisingly well but you will get some fret buzz when you dig in and thrash it with a plectrum, a gentler technique made this acceptable. So consider changing the guitars setup if it enables you to do more.
    I gig less these days, well in my yoof it could be 3 times a week or more, but selecting the right gear and material can make the whole experience better for this old guy. I enjoy other aspects of life more and look forward to them and recognise you summer 'vacation'.I wish you good fortune with playing in the future.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your fingers, I think we all dread stuff like that

That strat has real mojo! I love it!
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I like your posts and I am glad you are back.

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    edited September 2017
    Did I read that correctly.......you sold the 63 strat when you got it back after 20 years! 
  • Welcome back, it's actually been pretty quiet recently. 

Oh @Bridgehouse went away but nobody noticed. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.