What's the Technical Name For??

What's Hot
Permutations of 12 Bar Blues. See the difference in these 2 vids.

Here you see the structure of the Bars at 9:28

and here is a different structure.

I know they are in different keys, that's not what I'm on about.

How do musicians on stage explain to each other the structure of their blues before they start jamming it?

Thanks

Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Fast change vs slow change.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    Fast change vs slow change.
    Ahhhh, thanks @octatonic . I'm unaware, but that sounds like it makes those 2 permutations above the only 2 or are there variations of Fast Change and Slow Change?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Just those AFAIK.
  • octatonic said:
    Just those AFAIK.
    Phew! That's a relief :) I was imagining musos shouting out all sorts of formations like a Football Manager.

"Right Lads, we're doing 4,2,2,1,1,1,1" ;)
  • Most start with the 1, then go to 4, after that you can encounter variations but most keep it within the 1 - 4 - 5 chords.  I find that most players at the jams I attend won't tell you, they'll just launch into it and let you figure it out either by watching or listening(or both), by the time they've gone through the progression twice most of the people playing along will have it.  The good news is once it's established it almost never changes for that song.    Check out Claptons "Before You Accuse Me" progression(after the fancy intro).  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @DulcetJones ;

It's my latest new challenge, I've shied away from getting better at improv Major Blues soloing. It is waaaaaay more challenging than some think. I can compose a good blues solo and play a "passable" one by improv, but I really think it's good "bread and butter" to be comfy with it off the bat so to speak.

I think my musical taste has led me towards playing in strictly Minor Key and also getting good at Funk Rhythm, but Major Blues influence is everywhere and it's time I got to grips with it.

Baby steps and all that :)
  • 8-bar, 12-bar ? (btw Wring That Neck = 17-bar!)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    12 Bar and welcome back @Phil_aka_Pip ;

:)
    12 Bar and welcome back @Phil_aka_Pip ;

:)
    fanx!

just in the interests of balance you understand: "other sequences of different lengths are available ..." ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    I like Griff Hamlin's stuff for this kind of info.  Find him on Youtube.  I signed up on his mailing list and was quite surprised at how much stuff he gives away before he tries to sell anything.  No connection just a customer!
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Most start with the 1, then go to 4, after that you can encounter variations but most keep it within the 1 - 4 - 5 chords.  I find that most players at the jams I attend won't tell you, they'll just launch into it and let you figure it out either by watching or listening(or both), by the time they've gone through the progression twice most of the people playing along will have it.  The good news is once it's established it almost never changes for that song.    Check out Claptons "Before You Accuse Me" progression(after the fancy intro).  
    Great song...and I can play the fancy intro, which always helps :)