Online Scale diagram that is printable.

What's Hot
SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Morning!

I was wondering if there was anyone that could help me out.

I am looking for a neck diagram showing all the positions of a scale(s):

Major

Minor

Pentatonic

I struggle with scales and whilst I know the "Box" in the first position I want to start learning all the positions of each scale.

I've tried searching, but it's just all so confusing!

Many Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    Can you not buy a scale book? They're relatively cheap on eBay
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    Quicker and cheaper would be a Google search
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited October 2017
    There's a neat little program I purchased years ago called Chord Alchemy (link below).
    http://www.tonalalchemy.com/

I believe you can download a demo and it's fairly inexpensive to purchase. It still works for me in Window 10, if I run it as Administrator.

You can select a chord or scale and it will generate diagrams. They don't appear to be directly printable but they can be copied to clipboard and pasted into Word etc. to enable printing.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I use Neck Diagrams for all my teaching notes, chord boxes and scales. It costs like £36 or something as a one off but it's perfect for what I need it for and I'll make that money back easily with a hour lesson.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Thanks guys.
  • I use Neck Diagrams for all my teaching notes, chord boxes and scales. It costs like £36 or something as a one off but it's perfect for what I need it for and I'll make that money back easily with a hour lesson.
    Yes. I use Neck Diagrams which I really like. It also has a diagram gallery to generate scale and arpeggio diagrams.
    It's not a competition.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Looking for a similar thing myself- this site seems close - it'll plot scales, chords and apreggios

https://jguitar.com/arpeggio?root=G&chord=Major&fret=0&labels=tone&notes=sharps
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 604
    Try searching on Pebber Brown he has useful resources - scales, 3 notes per string etc
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 604
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited October 2017
    I use this one.

FRET FLIP

You can set everything. I use it mostly for 7 string.
    and it's free!

HOver over any button to see what it does.
    What I like and learn the most from is having it set to scale degrees instead of notes.
    You can set 12 or 24 frets, toggle the zero fret box, any amount of strings, all the scales it's just amazing when you get stuck into it.

Hope it helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Alnico said:
    I use this one.

FRET FLIP

Hope it helps.
    ..and saved to favourites.

Nice one Alnico. 
    edited October 2017
    Alnico said:
    I use this one.

FRET FLIP

Hope it helps.
    ..and saved to favourites.

Nice one Alnico. 
    Excellent, I'm really pleased.

I find it really helpful to spend 10 minutes at a time in each scale/settings scenario (You come up with a better term) and then change it to something else. First 5 minutes getting used to the scale and the second 5 minutes trying to do something musical and creative with it.
    I'll do this for 3 different scales/settings and then go back to the first.

That's an hour.

I've found some really great things do this, suddenly and sometimes subconsciously playing riffs that I'd heard and thought, "I wonder how you play that?", but never got around to trying,....but without even trying because it's part of this scale.

E - Major = Moonlight Shadow Intro -  Strat, comp, small room reverb, overdriven amp with the volume turned down.

I stumbled on the well-known riff by messing around in E Major. It was that simple. ONce I had the scale in my head and sussed it out in all 5 boxes, I just went to the one that sounded the most like the record (12th fret) and stop/start playing the record until I found the notes, all within that scale.

After that, it was just a case of incorporating that intro sequence into every E Major *10 Minutes* I played, at least once just to keep my hand in on the riff.
    After a while, you get to need more than 10 minutes per scale because you'll find songs in each one, every time you play it.

If anyone uses this and struggles with it, PM me.
    It took me a little while to explore fully but once you get to grips with it, it can be incorporated into all kinds of stuff.

Like the way Malmsteen plays?

Set it to E Phrygian and mess around until you hear something vaguely like his style. Put one of his records on and see if you can aurally pick out a riff and what key it's in. Set FF to that key, that mode and then play around where you think the notes are until you hear the riff.
    You don't need TAB, you don't need anything except this thing to give you the knowledge of the scale, your ears to listen with and a proper hunger to learn something new.

Forget 'All Right Now' and overplayed blues, create something and learn something and then go looking for stuff that excites you.
    All styles, all genres, it's all in there.
    Also and maybe most importantly, this method is universal. You can start with this before you can play a chord and learn, enjoy and develop using it. Any skill level with a desire to understand this, simply will by using this thing.

Blank neck diagrams are available online very easily and free if anyone wants to make actual written notes, maybe to test if they know it away from the pc and then go to FF to check it?

The notes your idols play are the same notes available to you.
    There they are, right there.

Enjoy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • xDottorexDottore Frets: 274
    Have a big wisdom for that @Alnico. Very useful. I've just whiled away an hour playing around with it and find it very helpful, even something as 'basic' as the Harmonizing Scales bit. It suddenly opened up something for me.

Just to make sure I'm not being extra dim, am I right that it doesn't do all the colourising for you? So, it gives an example in, say, F with all the roots marked in red; then if you change to, say, C it gives you the right scale notes but doesn't amend the colouring and labelling so you have to go and do it yourself. Fine if say, but wanted to ensure I wasn't making extra rod for own back.

To be fair, it's not immediately very user friendly and there's not much by way of explaining so perhaps difficult for the complete novice, but once you grasp its approach it seems really good.

Thanks

You need an idea of what you are going to do, but it should be a vague idea.

My feedback page: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91654/
    edited October 2017
    Dottore said:
    Have a big wisdom for that @Alnico. Very useful. I've just whiled away an hour playing around with it and find it very helpful, even something as 'basic' as the Harmonizing Scales bit. It suddenly opened up something for me.

Just to make sure I'm not being extra dim, am I right that it doesn't do all the colourising for you? So, it gives an example in, say, F with all the roots marked in red; then if you change to, say, C it gives you the right scale notes but doesn't amend the colouring and labelling so you have to go and do it yourself. Fine if say, but wanted to ensure I wasn't making extra rod for own back.

To be fair, it's not immediately very user friendly and there's not much by way of explaining so perhaps difficult for the complete novice, but once you grasp its approach it seems really good.

Thanks
    Thanks.

You are right it isn't immediately intuitive but I think I can shed some light on your point.

I *think* you're looking at the welcome screen, which is denoted by the drop-down box called PRESET at the top left of the main screen.
    If you click that it will drop down a menu of the available scales and those don't have colourised root positions. They show you the scale box (1-5) in colour and the surrounding notes in either scale degrees or actual notes or both. They also show you chords for the scales and lots of other very useful info.

The welcome setting, which it defaults to is customisable in that you can add markers yourself and mess around with all the settings (number of strings, zero fret marker, fret 0-12 or 12-24, left or right handed, etc) and create something of your own and this is where I've not used it much.
    There is a "Message Us" button in the bottom right-hand corner and I agree, a help guide would be useful inclusion but if you use the drop down box PRESET to show you the type of scale and then adjust the settings to give you the key, mode and exact settings you want, there's no real need to add markers etc.

I found the harmonising scales setting incredibly useful but the overwhelming thing for me is that I always learn something new when I use it, be that from exactly what I see on the screen or from what learning that screen thing then leads me to stumble on aurally.

Anyone using this or does from reading this, let me know how you get on with the 'Welcome' setting vs the 'Preset' menu settings and if you do message them and get a reply, post it here?

If people are still stuck I'll try to answer any other questions based on what I've learned by using it so far.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited November 2017
    You want this program. I used this for years and it was invaluable. It has scales, chords, modes. 

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-FretPro-Guitar-Notes-Chords-and-Scales-Trainer/3000-2133_4-10539899.html

Sorry. missed out the bit that needs printing. I cant recall if u can print off the program.