What's the skinny on Compressors?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    @Dan_Halen have a mother fucking wisdom my man, welcome to the team.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    DesVegas said:
    @Dan_Halen have a mother fucking wisdom my man, welcome to the team.
    Thanks man!!
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    edited October 2017
    I've had a few: Dyna Comp, Biyang Compress X, Marshall Ed the Compressor, Mooer Yellow, Xotic SP and Suhr Koji.
    The Suhr is the keeper for me and is the only one I now have. The Xotic was a close second but the Suhr is just a bit more controllable.
    I now wouldn't consider a comp without a blend control as it really helps to keep some sparkle on the notes. The Koji has ended my comp search.

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    I'm also interested in this tread as I know next to nothing about them. I was thinking of getting one to get closer to the Knopfler sound. I keep reading that some can be noisy - which ones in particular?? I want something that is quiet, has a blend knob, and covers early Dire Straits.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Beexter said:
    I've had a few: Dyna Comp, Biyang Compress X, Marshall Ed the Compressor, Mooer Yellow, Xotic SP and Suhr Koji.
    The Suhr is the keeper for me and is the only one I now have. The Xotic was a close second but the Suhr is just a bit more controllable.
    I now wouldn't consider a comp without a blend control as it really helps to keep some sparkle on the notes. The Koji has ended my comp search.

I second this having also had an SP, the Koji and several others, though I would add that a big box SlideRig within a loop with a blend control has turned out to trump even that  

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    edited October 2017
    Zoolooter said:
    I'm also interested in this tread as I know next to nothing about them. I was thinking of getting one to get closer to the Knopfler sound. I keep reading that some can be noisy - which ones in particular?? I want something that is quiet, has a blend knob, and covers early Dire Straits.
    Early Straits was (I believe) an Armstrong Orange Squeezer. Which despite not being super squishy are quite noisy. Analogman has a great clone, as does JHS. No blend knob though. 
    For the Sultans-type tone, with a pedal with a clean blend, you could get it with the Ego Compressor set pretty low, or the Origin Cali/Sliderig set pretty low, too. The Origin is quietest but most expensive. The Demeter Compulator and Maxon Optical Compressor can both do early Straits Tones but have no clean blend. They're relatively quiet though. 

Basically for low noise comps, avoid Dyna/Ross types and most accurate Orange Squeezer types.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    edited October 2017
    Philtre said:
    Thanks for advice so far guys. I'm aiming for the higher end I think, so SP and Wampler and Diamond are on the shortlist. That Silky Comp looks interesting, though.

I'm keeping an eye on the FX £ sub-forum for interesting sales....

If you're looking to spend then I'd go for the Origin Effects Compact Deluxe. It's capable of doing everything that the others listed here can do and more. It does the sweetest things to clean tones, adding a harmonic sheen that's just lovely, as well performing all the utility functions of a comp, such as levelling and adding sustain, at the highest level.

Having been through the Boss CS-1, 2 and 3, Boss BC-1X,  Analogman Squeezer, Providence Velvet Comp, 3 mxr Dyna Comps, mxr Custom Comp, mxr Bass Compressor, Guyatone Driving Box and ST-2, Bearfoot EverGreen (v. nice), FEA Labs Opti FET (v nice), Biyang Compress X, Suhr Koji, EHX White Finger, Maxon RTC600 (vv nice), VFE White Horse (v nice), Empress Compressor, Keeley Compressor Pro (vv nice) and a couple more that I can't recall atm, the Origin Effects is a clear leader imo. If you can source a big box version with the onboard transformer, so much the better, but the standard Compact Deluxe is excellent and many people speak highly of the SlideRig, though I found the fixed attack a bit limiting (!).

If you are just starting out with a comp then getting one with a visual display of the applied compression is really helpful. The Origin (big box ver), Keeley Pro and Empress have the best displays imo with Maxon RTC and MXR Studio/Bass Compressor also excellent. A display isn't essential (and only recently started appearing) but they're invaluable to help in understanding exactly what is going on (The Empress is esp. good in this regard as it can display input and compression simultaneously).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    Cali76 CD deluxe

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Just looking at the new Keeley Compressor Plus - seems to cover most bases for a first comp pedal, very reasonably priced at £129.

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Boiling it down to:

Xotic SP
    Wampler Ego
    Keeley Compressor Plus

Keeley Compressor Plus sounds fun

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I’d suggest adding the Keeley gc2 to the list. 
    Probably the quietest pedal comp I’ve tried and it works very nicely for adding body and sustain.  
    edited November 2017
    Update - I bought a new Keeley Compressor Plus. And sent it back.

It's not what I would call a "clean" or "transparent" compressor. Most settings introduced distortion to the sound. The only usable, clean, compression I could get was with everything at 12 0'clock and the switch set to "Single Coil". I wanted to like it but, for me, it just dirtied up the sound. Some folks might like that. Not me. Onward...
    Philtre said:
    Update - I bought a new Keeley Compressor Plus. And sent it back.
    That's surprising. I've found Keeley comps (esp the Pro) to be excellent compressors. What pickups were you using, is it possible you had a dud?
    Tried all types - Les Paul, Strat, Tele, SG. If I set the switch to "Humbucker" and/or set the Sustain and Blend knobs past 12 o'clock the signal was anything but clean. Could only get clean signal when switch was set to "Single Coil". This was on any guitar.
    Philtre said:
    Tried all types - Les Paul, Strat, Tele, SG. If I set the switch to "Humbucker" and/or set the Sustain and Blend knobs past 12 o'clock the signal was anything but clean. Could only get clean signal when switch was set to "Single Coil". This was on any guitar.
    I've not tried that particular comp but I'd guess you've had a faulty example.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Cali76 CD deluxe

This.  There was one in the forum recently...  diamond comp is great too.  I have used a diamond comp for about 6 years now -great for bass too although there is a bass specific version too.  I haven’t pulled my finger out for 12 months now to get the Cali on my board but my bandmate did and it’s stellar
    edited November 2017
    In the end I got a TC Electronic HyperGravity. Does everything I want it to do, good price, and clean sound.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Philtre said:
    The wampler is the most talked about of those. Depends what you want to use it for.

Notes that sustain and ring out...
    That's what I use my Wampler for.
    It is the only compressor I've ever been happy with, the only one that's stayed on my board.
    But... what that probably says is that it's quite distinctive and ticks all my boxes.
    And because I know other people have loved all the compressors I've had and didn't get on with.
    I think you'll have to suck it and see.
    But yep, 4 knob Wampler -- love it.
    Philtre said:
    In the end I got a TC Electronic HyperGravity. Does everything I want it to do, good price, and clean sound.
    And I sent the HyperGravity back. It had a fault - it would turn itself off then on again. Also, there's a delay in response when turning the knobs. And I don't need a multi-band, nor all those tone prints. And, well, digital....hmmm...

So I'm on the lookout again. To tide me over, I got a s/h Mooer Yellow comp.

• exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Barber Tone Press. 
    BYOC 5 Knob - like many it's based on an old design but it does feature the blend control. Cheap option if you're handy with a soldering iron.