What's your favourite Cab/Head/Combo?

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
@smigeon asked a really good question re- a 'do-it-all' combo, and it got me thinking, there's a lot of bass amp choice out there but it doesn't get discussed as much as basses themselves.

So. What do you like? What's your favourite cab, head, or combo, and why?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TBH I've not enough experience of the modern amps that are now available. If I was in the market I'd probably look at something that is powerful but lightweight, so I'd probably want to try a MarkBass CMD 10P as they sound good on YT.

Recently, I've tried a Fender Rumble, Eden Combo and an Ashdown 4x10 cab with separate head, out of those I'd say the Ashdown was best, but since it's nickname is 'Breakdown' I would probably avoid.

Back in the day it was Trace Elliott but by today's standards they seem anachronistic.

• Best one I've ever heard? An original Bassman 135 valve head into an Ampeg cab.
  • I just use a Matrix GT1000FX poweramp, same as I use for guitar, and a preamp.  I quite like the Sansamp RBI for this because it's also rackmount and for a basic bass EQ it does fine, and can do a mild amount of grit quite nicely, at least with passive Fender type basses.

I don't know that much about bass cabs to be honest.  I went for a used Hartke Hydrive 4x10 as it's light, was reasonably priced, but still sounds decent.

I'd love a big Ampeg fridge type thing but it wouldn't fit in my car anyway.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    I tried a used Eden Metro combo a few weeks back. Heavy as (you know what) but there was just something about it that made me want take it home. Not really a bass player so can't really compare it to anything else really. It just spoke to me and I liked the look of it.

Mate of mine was trying amps out and compared to a Fender Rumble it lost out on practicality, but as I wasn't going to buy any of them that wasn't an issue. Bit like buying a new car, may as well test drive the stuff you have no intention of buying before you settle on the practical estate.

If I didn't ever have to carry it anywhere, I would love one to bash about on.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Ampeg SVT and 8x10".

Because it sounds the best.

But then you have to lift it… and get it into the car… and revalve it quite often… so not really my favourite to own . (I never have, and now never will.)

A Fender Bassman 70 through a massively efficient Mesa 15/10/2x6 cab was pretty good too, but the cab was almost as big as an 8x10" so that was a no-go as well.

Really any amp which is loud enough and has a decent EQ section is usually fine. Better still, one which is already at the venue and doesn't need to be carried .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6121
    tFB Trader
    Orange Rockerverb MKIII and PPC 212 cab with celestion V30s, sounds great!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    Mesa Subway D800 through a Bergantino AE212.  Sounds great and light weight.  I have repeatedly good great response from other bass players and sound guys when I use this combo.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Either a GK 800RB through a Genz Benz 2x12 OR an Aguilar 350 Tone Hammer through an Aguilar a single 1x10 or two of them.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Some great suggestions. Anyone got any wacky favourites?

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    tc electronic Staccato '51 through RS210 cabinet. http://www.tcelectronic.com/staccato51/ Now discontinued. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Peavey Century head through any available junk cabinet - preferably with 15s… doesn't matter much - as long as it doesn't have a tweeter - because the amp just sounds like a giant fuzzbox :). Lou Barlow also uses one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Peavey Century head through any available junk cabinet - preferably with 15s… doesn't matter much - as long as it doesn't have a tweeter - because the amp just sounds like a giant fuzzbox :). Lou Barlow also uses one.
    Ah you and your bass fuzz.. one of these days you're going to have to share the secret and tell me how you create it..
  • My Sound City 50B+ sounded best through a H|H 2x15
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    edited October 2017
    Ceriatone Bluesmaster 100 head into a Zilla 1x12 Mini Modern cab, open back with EV12-L - does the lot 
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    citizen68 said:
    Ceriatone Bluesmaster 100 head into a Zilla 1x12 Mini Modern cab, open back with EV12-L - does the lot 
    Wow, I hated my EVH12 when driven from my BM50, I'll try again
    My BM50 goes into a Zilla 2x12 with Celestion Golds

Whereas my HRM100 does, of course go into a 1x12 MJW EVH12
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited October 2017
    Been using an Orange TB500 head for quite a while. It's a big, fat, furry, loud as hell thing with not much EQ but a lot of character for a hybrid Class D head, and though Orange has a rocky kind of image it works well for blues and '60s soul type styles. I changed V1 to a posher 12AX7 which cleaned it up a bit. I reckon it's a bit of a minor classic. As they're discontinued and quite fondly thought of, used prices seem to be fairly stable. 

Forum opinions are a funny thing. I was considering a bass amp change a couple of years ago and on the verge of nabbing an Aguilar Tone Hammer as everything online indicated it would be right up my street... then got the chance to borrow one for a month and use it live, and found it absolutely wasn't.  

On the verge again, more out of curiosity than anything else. Mesa and Quilter are sneaking to the top of the wanna-try list.

citizen68 said:

Interesting - the Bluesmaster could also be called bassmaster - I’ve to run the bass Control on mine at 2 or 3 but find the single EVM12-L delivers the goods nicely - have heArd the Golds are lovely too but I wanted a compact car friendly solution so a 2x12 was ruled out 

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    citizen68 said:
    citizen68 said:

Interesting - the Bluesmaster could also be called bassmaster - I’ve to run the bass Control on mine at 2 or 3 but find the single EVM12-L delivers the goods nicely - have heArd the Golds are lovely too but I wanted a compact car friendly solution so a 2x12 was ruled out 
    I used 1x12 Gold before, far lighter than an EVM12 !
    2x12 is a bit nicer, but not essential

I also run my BM50 on Bass=2
    The golds have a scooped middle, which works for me. I've heard others like the EVM12 with the BM too.
    KKJale said:
    Been using an Orange TB500 head for quite a while. It's a big, fat, furry, loud as hell thing with not much EQ but a lot of character for a hybrid Class D head, and though Orange has a rocky kind of image it works well for blues and '60s soul type styles. I changed V1 to a posher 12AX7 which cleaned it up a bit. I reckon it's a bit of a minor classic. As they're discontinued and quite fondly thought of, used prices seem to be fairly stable. 

Forum opinions are a funny thing. I was considering a bass amp change a couple of years ago and on the verge of nabbing an Aguilar Tone Hammer as everything online indicated it would be right up my street... then got the chance to borrow one for a month and use it live, and found it absolutely wasn't.  

On the verge again, more out of curiosity than anything else. Mesa and Quilter are sneaking to the top of the wanna-try list.

The D800 plus is a cracking amp - it was that or the EICH T1000 - the EICH won the fist fight but I would happily gig with the D800.

The main problem was that it sounded better through Mesa cabs - and man they were a) heavy and b) pricey.. 
    citizen68 said:
    citizen68 said:

I used 1x12 Gold before, far lighter than an EVM12 !
    2x12 is a bit nicer, but not essential

I also run my BM50 on Bass=2
    The golds have a scooped middle, which works for me. I've heard others like the EVM12 with the BM too.
    Cheers - I really must try a Gold then - would work ok in a 1x12 if I run my amp on half power.