A challenge !

What's Hot
Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

I've got a series of chords that I'm playing with, which I like a lot, but trying to find which key part of the song is in has so far got me stumped.

It doesn't matter a huge amount to me but I thought I'd throw it out there to see what people with a better knowledge of theory make of it :)

The first part contains Em, B7, Am, F#dim and Cmaj - which various places tell me is E Harmonic Minor.

The second part, however, has Gmaj7, Cmaj, Dmin7, Am and B7 and I'm not sure they fit anywhere, so I assume I'm jumping keys somewhere ;)

If possible, can someone enlighten me ?
"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BradBrad Frets: 659
    I'd say the second part is overall G major with a little detour. You can look at it a number of ways, it depends on how you want to treat the D-7 and if you want to include the Am in that detour...

You could look at everything in G just D-7 being a ii of C so Cmaj for that bar.

Or D-7 being a ii and Am being a vi of C major.

Or D-7 being a vi and Am being a iii of F major (less keen on this personally).

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786
    G major doesn't have a D minor (Dmin7) or a B major (B7) though.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • @Brad makes sense 
    Given that the first part is in Em, you could maybe treat the Gmaj7 as its relative major and then treat the Cmaj7, D-7, A- sequence as being in the key of Am before using the B7 to get you back into Em.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    @Brad makes sense 
    Given that the first part is in Em, you could maybe treat the Gmaj7 as its relative major and then treat the Cmaj7, D-7, A- sequence as being in the key of Am before using the B7 to get you back into Em.
    Yep that's what I'm getting at. You're correct @Paul_C D-7 isn't in the key of G but you just slipped out momentarily. How you deal with that chord and the surrounding ones is up to you. 

Neither is B7 but it's acting as a V-i move back to the 1st part. B7 has a stronger harmonic pull to Em than Bm (which would be diatonically correct in the key of G) Try both. If there is a V-I movement and the V happens to be minor, we often change it to a dom7 for a stronger resolution. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Well if you said G not Gmaj7, it'd be a modulation to G major with a flat 7 - ie basically like G mixolydian, which has a minor V chord (the d minor), then when you land on the B7, it's ready for the modulation back to Em through a V-i cadence. 

Are you sure it's Gmaj7?

If so, then it's the same as the above, except it starts with a Gmaj7!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    C ?

• If it sounds good, then it is good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    If it sounds good, then it is good.
    I'm very much with this approach. Plenty of music doesn't fit a single key or rule rigidly, between modulations and key changes and intentionally "out of place" chords or notes. 

FWIW it sounds like you're shifting to C or Am for the second bit (depending on your exact structure and melodic note choice)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    The first 2 chords could be treated as Emelodic minor..next 3 the key of Gmaj
    2nd part first 2 chords key of G maj still..then next key of C apart from the B7