PJ Bass - Control Layout - now accidentally turned into a build thread!

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
edited October 2017 in Bass
I have 2 PJ style basses in build, both fundamentally will be used for gigging - one a relic style (already have a thread on that) which is currently in the "lacquer curing" stage so not much happening.. the other is going to have a thin skin tru-oil coat and not much else.

So I'm now pondering control layout. I want to keep the jack socket on the top at the end of the guard, and I want to get a standard three hole guard. So - the question is, do I:

1. Drill an extra hole in-between the vol and tone controls for a smaller 'blend' control, using mini cts pots and wire a-la jazz bass
2. As above but locate the blend up from the volume nearer the P pickup
3. Have a micro dpdt on-on-on switch in between the vol and tone and have P, PJ or J selector

What do you all think? And @ICBM - I might need a bit of wiring diagram help
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Just my feelings...

Personally I'd definitely go for blendability, not a switch. P with a just-so smidgen of J? Lovely. 

I like proper-sized knobs on a P, even if there's one too many of them. With nice even spacing. So my choice would be vol/blend/tone.

(Have you discounted stacked knobs, not to mention a series switch...?)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    KKJale said:
    Just my feelings...

Personally I'd definitely go for blendability, not a switch. P with a just-so smidgen of J? Lovely. 

I like proper-sized knobs on a P, even if there's one too many of them. With nice even spacing. So my choice would be vol/blend/tone.

(Have you discounted stacked knobs, not to mention a series switch...?)
    Re: Stack knobs - as gigging basses I'm worried about how fiddly stacks can be when it's all a bit dark. Knowing me I'd roll off the tone and not realise it until the second note.. ;) Kinda the same for a series switch - not sure I'd use it.

However, I am coming round to blend being the right answer, even if it's an extra knob near the pickup. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3129
    +1 for blend. My immediate thought was stacked knobs too, at least that would keep it neat looking. Why not experiment with stacked to start and then alter if it doesn’t suit?
  • Vol/Vol/Tone and layout like this

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Personally I would just fit two volume controls and not bother with a tone. I rarely use it on a bass, and never while actually playing, so it's really just as easy to do it at the amp.

If you really do want three controls I would either fit the extra volume control in the properly-spaced place as in guitarfishbay's pic, even if it involves routing, or move the jack to the side like a Tele Bass.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    ICBM said:
    properly-spaced
    This is essential. No point having lots of controls if you cannot easily operate them.

'blend' control ... dpdt on-on-on switch P, PJ or J selector
    The three-way selector switch is valid, provided that you use a bass in an either/or way.

A Fender Broadcaster-style blend control could work if the P pickup is always full on and it is the J pickup that gets blended. 

Traditional three pot Jazz Bass wiring provides access to infinite blending possibilities. Sheer force of habit would lead me to take this option. 
    Be seeing you.
    Understood about spacing - the problem is getting a suitable pickguard. 
  • Well that pickguard I posted seems to be stock on some Fender models - I bet you could order one via a Fender stockist
    Well that pickguard I posted seems to be stock on some Fender models - I bet you could order one via a Fender stockist
    I have had a look - seem to be rather difficult to come by!!
  • You can request stockist get stuff in even if it isn't on the sites.  If the parts exist they can probably get hold of them.  I'm pretty sure I've got some stuff via Strings Direct in the past like this
    It can't be difficult to drill a hole…

The problem is if the body cavity doesn't extend up far enough to fit the pot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    It can't be difficult to drill a hole…

The problem is if the body cavity doesn't extend up far enough to fit the pot.

No the body is routed plenty far up - if I put an extra hole in a standard guard equally spaced it's going to be pretty close to the strings - I will have to measure
  • Your other option is to get a blank cut to your needs 
    Bridgehouse said:

No the body is routed plenty far up - if I put an extra hole in a standard guard equally spaced it's going to be pretty close to the strings
    Do you play like a demented chimpanzee me?

:)

I do thrash about a bit when I'm using a pick, but I can't imagine the position of the one in guitarfishbay's pic would be a problem, although I haven't tried using one with it there at a gig.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

No the body is routed plenty far up - if I put an extra hole in a standard guard equally spaced it's going to be pretty close to the strings
    Do you play like a demented chimpanzee me?

:)

I do thrash about a bit when I'm using a pick, but I can't imagine the position of the one in guitarfishbay's pic would be a problem, although I haven't tried using one with it there at a gig.
    In that pic they are closer spaced than standard - however, I don't thrash about like a loon, so it should be ok - it might just need to be closer to the other volume so it's twin volume
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    A Blend control between a P and J? Sounds like what the americans would call a PB&J sandwich  X_X
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27341
    Strangely, I'm watching this with interest.

Are you going for the usual large scratchplate too, or just a control cavity cover? 

If the former, just start with a blank piece of scratchplate material and cut it to whatever shape you fancy, drilling holes wherever you need?  Bit of a faff, but then you'd get exactly what you needed.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    Strangely, I'm watching this with interest.

Are you going for the usual large scratchplate too, or just a control cavity cover? 

If the former, just start with a blank piece of scratchplate material and cut it to whatever shape you fancy, drilling holes wherever you need?  Bit of a faff, but then you'd get exactly what you needed.
    Yeah, I considered that..then had an attack of can't be arsed ;)

I will do either VVT or VBT with an extra hole nearer the strings/P pickup. 

I will post photos. If I can be bothered to get a second plate and do custom holes then I may swap to that later.
    Bridgehouse said:

In that pic they are closer spaced than standard - however, I don't thrash about like a loon, so it should be ok - it might just need to be closer to the other volume so it's twin volume
    Yes, you're right - not much, but I didn't spot it. It should still be fine though, the equal-spacing position on a standard pickguard looks like it will be directly in line with the D/G polepieces, which is still going to be miles from the strings - I would guess about 2-1/2". (Slightly more than the string spacing at that point.)

ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Yes, you're right - not much, but I didn't spot it. It should still be fine though, the equal-spacing position on a standard pickguard looks like it will be directly in line with the D/G polepieces, which is still going to be miles from the strings - I would guess about 2-1/2". (Slightly more than the string spacing at that point.)
    Yeah. I'm going to try that. 

Now, just need to pick VVT or VBT,