Steinberg UR22 users - how do I hear the guitar I (think) I just recorded?

I'm trying out my Steinberg UR22 MkII  for the first time. I want to just record myself playing guitar direct via the interface in to Cubase AI on my MacBook Pro. And I want to just use headphones to monitor the playing AND hear the playback afterwards.

So I have the interface connected with the USB cable, my guitar plugged into input 2, my headphones plugged into the UR22 phones socket. In Cubase when I record I can hear the guitar, I can see the sound levels go up and down, and I see the audio wave pattern in the track window: in other words, it looks like something is definitely recording. The problem is, I can't figure out how to hear the track on playback. The VST output window shows no outputs connected to the line outputs, which is true because I don't have any speakers connected. But I can't find any way to hear the track through:
-- the headphones when connected to the UR22
-- or the headphones when connected to the MacBook (and headphones selected as the output device in the Mac Sound preferences window)
-- or even through the MacBook's built in speakers

There must be sound available to hear because when I press play in Cubase I see the levels going up and down - but how do I access it with headphones???

Grateful for any guidance with this!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Er... mine's packed up in the box now.

But did you rotate the Mix knob from Input towards "DAW"? That's how you decide what to listen to through the phones (i.e. a balance between what you are playing in through the inputs and what's coming out of the PC).
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited October 2017
    Never used Cubase so not familiar with the sound routing of that but in order to hear playback through the UR22 the DAW needs to direct the master output to it.  On Sonar the master bus output has to be set to Steinberg UR 22 Line to hear anything on the phones.  Assuming that Cubase has an equivalent master bus routing function somewhere then you need to point it at the UR22.  Then make sure the UR22 phones volume control is not turned all the way down.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Check Devices/VST connections and make sure the output bus is connected to the sound card outputs. Also, you won't hear the output of the track if input monitoring (yellow button) is on.
  • Thanks for all the replies - sorry I didn't acknowledge them earlier but work took over and I never got chance to go back to the Steinberg until now.

The strange (but not completely unexpected) thing was that right after posting my question a fortnight ago I switched to GarageBand and although I hadn't used it before was immediately able to figure out how to do what I wanted. 

Now I'm back to Cubase again and cannot for the life of me get it to do the simple thing of playing back through the headphones, either when plugged into the Steinberg phones socket or into the MacBook phones socket. I've tried every combination of things that I can see in the various menus.

@wave100 what you say makes sense, except I cannot see the Mac sound card outputs as an option for an output bus. As far as I can tell nothing about the MacBook appears in any of the Cubase menus - it's as if the Cubase app doesn't know its actually running on a Mac at all. In the Mac audio preference window I can of course see the Steinberg and select that as an output device, but in Cubase itself there is nothing that says 'send output to Mac soundcard'. 

Anyway, I'm not going tpo mess with this much more. I didn't pay for Cubase - it came bundled with the Steinberg - and Garageband seems much more intutitive, is specifically designed to work with Macs, and has more than enough features for my amateur needs. But thanks again guys for trying to help - much appreciated.