I might be mad but....

RockerRocker Frets: 4980
I decided to try to learn to read sheet music.  Not for any project but as a challenge to self. So in Dublin last week I bought a book, actually two books that were recommended by a music shop there.  How to Read Music by Wise Publications and Music Theory in Practice by Eric Taylor.  The latter is a self test workbook to check progress etc.  Any help or pointers will be very much appreciated.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Once I got into  learning to read I found that using sheet music written for other treble clef instruments was a good way to learn to read for guitar.    Flute and violin music don't have any fret marker clues etc., so you really have to think about where you are on the neck and where the notes are.  You're not mad, I didn't start learning to read until I had been playing guitar for 15 years and found that it made it so much easier to communicate with other musicians, even ones that don't read.  I also got some gigs that I couldn't have without it.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• You might find yourself starting off by recognising single notes, in similar manner to reading words, you see an assemblage of letters and then deduce the word. It is worth noting that you need to get off that stage and into recognising things like arpeggios and scale fragments. You probably know how to execute those on the guitar aleady, so recognising how they are written down is a good start. Some people find it hard to recognise pitch but they're OK with reading rhythms. I'm the other way round. If that is also true for you, this might help: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Reading-Text-All-Instruments/dp/0769233775. ; Eric Taylor's AB Guide to Music Theory is also very good, in that it provides definitive statements about what musical symbols mean and how to interpret them (and also highlights the cases where ambiguity exists).

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • You're not mad. Learning to read music is a valuable skill, and it makes you realise that TAB has significant limitations. Like everything els, it takes a fair bit of practice.