The Long Goodbye

What's Hot
Well, as I'm always happy to see the forum talk more about, music, playing, recording etc - I'll contribute. Haven't written a full tune for ages and this was my last effort.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I quite enjoyed that. I was wondering where you were going with the really nasal guitar for the intro but it really sat well once the rest  of the instruments came in. I'd say that's not necessarily a single, more a B-side or a deep cut on an album that'd grow on you with a few listens.

I was expecting a bigger crash finish though...the end took me a little by surprise.

What are you using for drums?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @vasselmeyer Thanks for the feedback, 

I wrote this really as a vehicle to get used to helix. The ending is a bit flaky, not very good at endings.
    I normally play the drums in on a yamaha dtxpress 4, then run the midi into NI Studio Drummer or EZ drummer. I think this is Studio drummer. Will have to double check.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ive tried before to post something my son did on Soundcloud, could never get the link to work ( Halloween themed drum n bass, so the moment has passed). 
    Anyway, that was a bit bluesy, a bit punky - not sure what is supposed to be wrong with the ending? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • @EricTheWeary to get the link to work for your track, just navigate to the actual track, copy the address of the page, then paste here in the reply box. it *should* be simple.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ta, I’ll try that ( although I think I must have tried that before) in a moment. Just replaying The Long Goodbye - I like the way the solo guitar comes in with a lot of attack towards the end ( just before 3:30 I think).
  • See if this works ( not the drum n bass one):

https://soundcloud.com/potatoinpotato/reggee

• There you go, works nicely! Is that your son's work?
  • There you go, works nicely! Is that your son's work?
    Yeh, that terrible rythmn guitar is all me though. He’s doing music technology at college so the point is the mixing more than the content. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Reminds of the Rocky Horror show for some reason  :-0)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    The guitars sound very nice on this, everything has it's own space, nice lead work as well. Are all the guitars through the helix?
  • IMC1980 said:
    The guitars sound very nice on this, everything has it's own space, nice lead work as well. Are all the guitars through the helix?
    Yup. That is all helix, even the bass and vocal.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    IMC1980 said:
    Yup. That is all helix, even the bass and vocal.
    When I first started recording, I used to use a Boss ME25 and tried recording vocals through that with an XLR to 1/4 Jack converter and a cheap dynamic. The results were much less impressive...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited November 2017
    @IMC1980 for me it was a zoom 1010 and a cheap "condensor" mic. I shudder to think what it sounded like... my poor parents D
    edited November 2017
    @IMC1980 for me it was a zoom 1010 and a cheap "condensor" mic. I shudder to think what it sounded like... my poor parents D
    I listened to one of my first efforts a while back, it sounded like it had been recorded in a bin with a potato. Underwater.