What's a good beginner acoustic?

What's Hot
mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
edited November 2017 in Acoustics
Would appreciate some advice...

My nephew is looking to start playing guitar, and is after an acoustic.

Who makes a decent inexpensive acoustic these days,  suitable for a beginner?

Would you recommend a Yamaha F310?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    Tanglewood

• Tanglewood or Yamaha.
  • Also Sigma which are good value.
  • SparkySparky Frets: 90
    How old is he? An F310 might be too big for him or the wrong shape. What is your budget? Best advice if you're buying new is to go to a reputable shop and get him to play lots of them. Buy the one he likes the most within your budget.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • wis @Sparky Gretsch Jim Dandy is a parlour size that sounds better than it should given its price.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Thanks for the suggestions. :)
  • Cheers Sparky. He's a big lad, 15 years old, but doesn't live in the UK so can't try any out unfortunately. I reckon he can handle a full size guitar. 
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited November 2017
    I have an inexpensive Fender parlour acoustic in the classifieds with a solid top if that’s any good.

It’s a lovely little thing but it crossed over with another incoming and so ended up being surplus to requirements. 
  • Cheers Sparky. He's a big lad, 15 years old, but doesn't live in the UK so can't try any out unfortunately. I reckon he can handle a full size guitar. 
    If he can handle a full size I'm selling a very good tanglewood (tws115 sce) elsewhere for £200 but I said early on I'd let it go for £150 to a Fretboarder 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Used Ovation? Bullet proof and stay in tune forever - always thought they're ideal for teenagers. 
  • The Yamaha F310 is a good bet for a beginner, it's got a shorter scale as well which reduces string tension.
  • We bought a ‘beginner’ acoustic this time last year. I couldn’t bring myself to spend money on the shonky Epiphones and the Yamaha’s just seemed so much better built. I can’t remember the exact model number now, the only hesitation really is that they can have slightly narrower nut widths than other guitars. I guess this is part of being aimed at learners/ smaller people although if I go between the Yamaha and one of my guitars it takes me a little while to adjust. From what I looked at in PMT last year in the sub £200 acoustic market it was hard to beat Yamaha. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SparkySparky Frets: 90
    How about looking for a used APX500III? They are a good introduction to acoustic guitars-their main strength being they are slightly slimmer in their body depth and so a little more forgiving for a new player. You can't really go wrong with any Yamaha to be fair.
  • Thanks for the input. He's going to grab a yamaha starter pack with a dred and see how he gets on. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I picked up a used Washburn wf10s, recently, smaller than dread size, based on the fact that I’d had a dreadnought version in the past, which was great for the money. Under 100 notes, used, plays and sounds great!
    Worth considering, imho...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    Fender CD-140, if you can stretch to it. CD-60 if you can't. 

Yamaha F and FG series used to be great value for money. I have not played one in recent years. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6145
    tFB Trader
    anything from the Faith Naked series is great value

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    The Yamaha F310 is a good bet for a beginner, it's got a shorter scale as well which reduces string tension.
    Is 25" considered a short scale length for an acoustic?

Anyway, I've had an F310 for about 6 years.  Would I recommend it as it is now?  Yes.  Would I recommend it the way it was delivered?  No.  The action was needlessly high and a bone saddle transformed it tonally and playability-wise.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    ThorpyFX said:
    anything from the Faith Naked series is great value

Agreed! Even better if you find one that needs tlc like the one I've just bought and repaired for £100

It's now going as a gift to my Aunt though 
  • sinbaadi said:
    The Yamaha F310 is a good bet for a beginner, it's got a shorter scale as well which reduces string tension.
    Is 25" considered a short scale length for an acoustic?

Anyway, I've had an F310 for about 6 years.  Would I recommend it as it is now?  Yes.  Would I recommend it the way it was delivered?  No.  The action was needlessly high and a bone saddle transformed it tonally and playability-wise.

Current F310 scale is 634mm, which compared to the standard scale of 645mm (Martin's etc) and Larrivee/Lowden 650mm, so therefore I'd say it is fair to say it is a shorter scale similar to the Gibson J45 at 629mm.