Acoustic options £500 - £750

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
Since sold my Sigma DR28 I've been mulling over what to get next. Research starts now while I'm in plaster for a few months.

I've decided I don't like the size of a dreadnought, so a mid to small sized acoustic for picking and strumming at home. 

Budget will be between £500 to £750 and I'm pretty sure I'll buy new as I really want to find the guitar that feels and sounds right, so will want to try lots. 

Definitely on my list to try will be Faith, Yamaha and Guild. I really like the look of the new Art & Lutherie Legacy series, and I think Andertons carry an eastern European maker which looks good quality at that price. 

What else should I look out for? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I thought the answer to that particular set of requirements was always gs mini? They've come down in price recently too

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I thought the answer to that particular set of requirements was always gs mini? They've come down in price recently too

Yes, also on the list to compare. 
  • Some good Takemine guitars in that price range too

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    edited November 2017
    Do you want on-board electrics and how good do you want them to be?  That's going to take up a bit of budget.  I have a Yamaha A3R which has a brilliant modelling preamp - it wasn't the best guitar in the shop acoustically but it was the best for live playing purposes due to its excellent plugged-in sound.  If you don't need advanced electronics you'll get better bang for your buck in terms of acoustic tone.  

Maybe have a look at one of the Yamaha ARE series - pre-aged woods and IIRC one of those was the best sounding acoustic in that price range last time I had a good play of a few different models in a shop.  The LS is the small body, with their discount code this can be yours for £463.60: Yamaha LS6 ARE

Edit: that's got passive electronics so will have an underwhelming plugged-in tone without the use of an outboard modeller.
    Seems I'm the one person who wants a cutaway but not electronics  ;)
  • paddybpaddyb Frets: 31
    I bought a Faith last year when I had pretty much the same requirements. I love it, the smaller body feels so much more comfortable to me and I play acoustic alot more since I got it.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/faith-natural-series-venus-electro-acoustic-guitar
    Looks ideal @paddyb I like the new Blood Moon version.

Did you buy from Andertons?
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    100% Faith.  went to Andertons a few years back and played just about everything in the price range, the only thing that sounded better that the Venus Natural I bought was a £3k Taylor.

and since the missus was paying, she wasn't up for the extra expense... :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dont buy a cutaway, they sound shitter. 
    Guild, Recording King, Epiphone masterbilt, Seagull, Faith.
    Epiphone Master built look interesting, will take a look. 
  • paddybpaddyb Frets: 31
    Fuengi said:

Yes, they have a good selection if you can get to the store. The one I linked is the model that I bought.
    One of the other reasons I went for that model was that it had more basic electronics
    paddyb said:
    Fuengi said:

Yes, they have a good selection if you can get to the store. The one I linked is the model that I bought.
    One of the other reasons I went for that model was that it had more basic electronics

I can get there, they are about half an hour from me. I noticed there is another small guitar shop in Guildford opposite the Post Office, not been I'm there yet. 

PMT is also close by also and I really like Guitar Sound in Chichester, super chilled place to try things out and they have some good stock. 
  • Faith are brilliant :) Not much wrong with Yams either. As an interesting alternative (should you like that sort of thing) there's the Epiphone Masterbilt archtop acoustics which I'm quite interested in, mainly the Olympic and Century f-hole models. In your price bracket, at PMT. If you try one, please let us know how you got on with it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Will do @Phil_aka_Pip although it won't be until the new year. The Epi Masterbilt were not on my radar until today and I didn't know PMT carried them. I find PMT infinitely better then Nevada Music was but a little bit pushy and don't always let you try in peace. 

I did try the Gretsch Rancher which was brilliant fun and loved the V shaped neck but couldn't bring myself to buy one. 
  • Simples - 2nd hand Larrivee
    Simples - 2nd hand Larrivee
    I don't mind taking a gamble on a used guitar up to £300 as I can always move it on without too much of a hit.

If I'm paying over £500 I really want to chose from a selection and to do that you have to buy from a store.

Also I personally believe that this price point represents the best value for money in the market so there are lots of really good guitars the chose from. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Eastman om? There are several flavours in that price range.
    Cheers @Kilgore I see Guitar Village stock them, they are not far away. 
  • If you are going to Guildford you should also look at Guitar Village in Farnham, Massive selection of acoustics. Played mostly high end stuff last time but they had a great violin colour Eastman under £1000
    Will do the Portsmouth, Chichester, Fareham, Guildford tour trying before buying. 

Looking at Eastman's range they do some gorgeous looking guitars for what looks to be very competitive prices. Do they sound any good?