What's Hot
BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
edited November 2017 in Acoustics
Does this mean I don't have to buy any more strings? : > 

Just practice more?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4127
    I saw this a little while ago - my main thought was that O'Connor is one of the greatest flatpickers of all time....and that would have sounded immeasurably better with some fresh strings!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Great playing. The Homer Simpson line comes to mind "..he's just makin' that stuff up..."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Great playing, and the guitar sounds fantastic. I love that thick woody tone you get from old strings and an old Martin, so unlike that tinny toppy sound that everyone seems to want now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• In 20 years he's never thought to trim the dangly ends... 

But srsly, it sounds great, due to a combination of a great player with a fantastic guitar in a wonderful sounding room with what sounds like a hacking thick pick. But it *does* sound great. 

Interestingly I'm now about 8 weeks into a set of uncoated Martin strings on my HD28 - they're the oldest sounding strings I've used in at least a decade but they do sound good.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    regularly get 1 - 2 yrs from a set uncoated PB's - I dont understand all the issues folks have with strings or guitars - re, what tonewood combo suites a particular song or my voice etc. All beyond me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Great playing, and the guitar sounds fantastic. I love that thick woody tone you get from old strings and an old Martin, so unlike that tinny toppy sound that everyone seems to want now.
    That's the sound I fell in love with as a kid listening to my big brother's country records. The tinny toppy sound you're talking about makes my teeth itch.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It sounds great, I wish my 2015 Martin D28 sounded that good.

• I think irrespective of the strings you've got a great guitar player, lovely guitar and a tremendous microphone all going to make a lovely warm tone. Out of interest I looked up the AKG C24 and they seem to retail around the 12.5k used, so I'll have to stick with my ATM2020.
  • That's a great story, and a revealing insight into how an acoustic guitar should be recorded.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I find that the biggest problem with old strings is that the intonation (especially the high E!) starts to go flatter, the higher up the neck you go. It helps that he is only playing in the open position.