Telecasters

What's Hot
are not so inspiring when used for practicing at home IMHO.  Controversial suggestion I accept, but that is how I find it. A Tele is brilliant in a band situation when played at volume but is tame and insipid at typical bedroom volumes.  Whereas a Strat sounds good in both situations.  And before you ask, I have two Telecasters......

Agree or disagree..
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3201
    edited November 2017
    Disagree. I get bored with a strat very quickly, mainly because it lacks a certain bite when I dig in (at any volume). As a result I always return to my tele. However, I accept that teles are very easy to be tempted away from, I just find myself disappointed when the rose tinted glasses come off.

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Hmm. I have a Fender SSS Mexi Strat and a Burns Semi Hollow Tele with coil split humbucker in the neck and single bridge. That's it. 

With these two and some pedals there is a huge range of tones I can get.

I would say I play the Tele 70/% of the time. 

• RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    The point I am making is that, for me, the Tele only comes into its own at a certain volume. That volume is way higher than I use when playing at home. As a result I rarely get to hear either Tele at its best, whereas a Strat works at any volume level.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    Disagree. What are your Tele's? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Rocker said:
    The point I am making is that, for me, the Tele only comes into its own at a certain volume. That volume is way higher than I use when playing at home. As a result I rarely get to hear either Tele at its best, whereas a Strat works at any volume level.

You may be right, I've never played mine at gig volume! 
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Rocker said:

Surely that means the amp you're using isn't capable of projecting the subtleties of your tele at home volumes rather than the tele doesn't work.  Unless you mean you roll the volume off on the tele but leave the amp the same wherever ... but I doubt that.

On the original point, I write a lot more on my teles than on my strats (and I have 3 of each) ... I just find them more immediate, more lively, especially when not plugged in.  Or it might be that both make me play in a different way and, at the moment at least, the way I play a tele brings more out of me.

I'm rambling non-sensically aren't I ... as you were.

• Strats bodies are more comfortable to play (especially seated) and have more sounds in them.

Either can sound good though.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    I'm going through a Tele phase at the moment

Here's my sunrise of teles

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    This guys Esquire sounds okay at lounge volume.....

https://youtu.be/Vv4bYfeG7xk?t=1m2s
  • Gassage said:

Is that a brass nut on the one on the right side @Gassage ;

Do you feel it has any impact on the sound?
  • Strat54 said:
    This guys Esquire sounds okay at lounge volume.....

https://youtu.be/Vv4bYfeG7xk?t=1m2s
    It sounds great but a lot of that is quite loud!  The only way that can be called lounge volume is on account it's the volume he's playing at in his lounge.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I agree, never really thought about it till now but when I did covers the Variax was almost always on the strat or tele setting live, but never at home. 

Like the late Rory Gallagher used to say a strat or a tele hits the back of the hall almost at any volume but those frequencies aren't as useful practicing at much lower volume.  By the same token a nice semi 335 style is fun to noodle about with at home but can be a pain cranked up.  

As I keep telling my wife this is why we have to have lots of different guitars...

• RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    Strat54 said:
    Disagree. What are your Tele's? 
    USA Fender Telecaster

Squier Telecaster.

For home volumes, the Squier (which has a pair of Mex Tele pickups fitted) is the "better" of the two. I do enjoy playing them but my Fender CS '62 Relic Strat sounds better all round.  If it clarifies things in any way, I play (at home) at acoustic guitar volumes through a self built Dennis Cornell Stinger combo (6L6 SE combo, Jensen 10" speaker) or my little Pignose amp.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    My Kemper amp is always at gig/arena/stadium volume .. sort of  :) 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    @Gassage That's an Andy Summers, right? How did you get hold of one of those? I'm jealous. 
    Gassage said:

Is that a brass nut on the one on the right side @Gassage ;

Do you feel it has any impact on the sound?
    Ahhh no- it's an orig 1965 neck so the nut is a bit discoloured! That's all.

AlexC said:
    @Gassage That's an Andy Summers, right? How did you get hold of one of those? I'm jealous. 
    Well, it technically was just snared by a pal of mine and I'm 'looking after it' however, he's a VERY good mate, and I can honestly say it's one of the sexiest machines I've ever played in my life so negotiations ongoing...it's steller- mahoosive old skool U shape neck and shed loads of power from the onboard preamp.

• Actually, I kind of get OPs point. I much prefer teles to Strats, but there is something that at low vol just isn’t quite right with a tele. I think maybe it’s down to playing on the bridge more on a tele than you would anything else (well I do) - they need the push to sound great. Much prefer my jag and Jazzmaster at low level. (And high level, but for different reasons). 
  • Actually, I kind of get OPs point. I much prefer teles to Strats, but there is something that at low vol just isn’t quite right with a tele. I think maybe it’s down to playing on the bridge more on a tele than you would anything else (well I do) - they need the push to sound great. Much prefer my jag and Jazzmaster at low level. (And high level, but for different reasons). 
    I actually agree as well. And as @GavRichList knows, I'm a huge Tele fan. I find myself turning up my amp slightly more when playing my Teles at home. 
    If I'm playing at night and have to be quieter (next door have a baby human thing) I tend to use my Strat or Squier Jarman. They just work better at low volumes for me personally. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    Sounds fine at any volume including unplugged. That said, I've played a Tele exclusively for the past few years. I don't like the shape of strats and I find 24" scale difficult. Telecasters just work.