Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ever been to a gig just to see the support?

What's Hot

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I went and saw Whitesnake and Journey, really just to see Thunder. Thunder were good (except for the dad-dancing), Whitesnake were a bit embarrassing and Journey were terrible.

I lucked in on another gig - I went to see The Cathedral, but their support band dropped out and they got Cressida in at short notice. Cressida were great (though they didn't play "To Play Your Little Game"), but The Cathedral did my head in!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    Yeah, as a teenager my sister’s ex-boyfriend took me to see a fairly obscure band called Wilt who were supporting Reef. He didn’t like Reef so we only stayed for a few of their songs before leaving, although in subsequent years I went on to really like Reef and see them play a few times too.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Bourgeois Tagg supporting T'Pau - they blew them off stage and to date, are the best support act I've ever seen.

They only had one hit, "I don't mind at all". Their guitarist was Lyle Workman, who's done stuff on Beck, Jellyfish and Todd Rundgren albums as well as film stuff and if you like bands like XTC and The Police with a maybe a touch more quirkiness, give their "Yoyo" album a whirl

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    mart said:
    sev112 said:
    Yep, Mamas Boys, Magnum, Tull, Gary Moore supporting Marillion in 86
    Milton Keynes? That was quite a gig!
    Indeed.  Was right at the front for Gary Moore, had never heard Tull before, had seen Mamas Boys supporting Lizzy the year before.  Plus magnum we’re touring “On a storytellers night” so what a line up.  Was never into Marillion so went and sat on the slopes as the night cam down and the fires lit up.  Even Marillion were good.  
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited November 2017
    Oh Yes.
    Went to see John Scofield at the Corn Exchange in Cambridge in the Late 80s. He was supporting Andy Sheppard (saxaphone prodigy) at the time. It was really hot that day and Scofield was feeling the heat.. but Lord he was superb.
    When me and my mates left after the 2nd Sheppard song he (Sheppard) got really quite miffed and commented on our leaving to the rest of the audience, but when didn't pay to see him and although he was technically brilliant he was boring as feck B
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Had to sit through Coldplay at Crystal Palace to watch Supergrass many moons ago and more recently The Last Shadow Puppets to get to see Gaz Coombes (his solo stuff is brilliant and his guitarist is a bit special too)
  • I managed to persuade a supplier to get me free tickets to see Vintage Trouble in Washington. DC. I got snarled up in traffic and arrived late so only got to see the last couple of songs.

The main act weren't bad, though - The Who on the recent Quadrophenia tour :)

R.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Sisters of Mercy supporting Depeche Mode.

The latter were better, on balance.
    They, erm, got the balance right then? ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Went to see Bettie Serveert supporting Buffalo Tom back in 1993 when I was an indie kid...both bands were excellent, to be fair.

More recently (2012), went to see Clutch supporting Thin Lizzy...Clutch were cool...Lizzy were a bit cheesy...so we left. Both were upstaged by (another) Belgian band called Triggerfinger who were the first on.

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    The Who at Hyde Park in 1996. They performed Quadrophenia (I think for the first time). It was really, really good. Eric Clapton headlined but a lot of the crowd (including us) had left by the time he got on stage. 

• horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Went to see Bettie Serveert supporting Buffalo Tom back in 1993 when I was an indie kid...both bands were excellent, to be fair.

Love that Bettie Serveert 'Palomine' album, but not as much as I love Buffalo Tom in their prime
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27591
    Sporky said:
    Sisters of Mercy supporting Depeche Mode.

The latter were better, on balance.
    They, erm, got the balance right then? ;)
    I gave you a LOL because I assume this is a brilliant Depeche Mode joke.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    When I was at school in the early 1970's a mate persuaded me to go to a Slade gig because they were being supported by a little known three piece called Thin Lizzy.  My mate reckoned the guitarist, then Eric Bell, was phenomenal.  He was right.

You wouldn't think The Ramones could be easily upstaged but on their uk tour in 1977 they made the mistake of hiring the  then unknown Talking Heads to open for them.  I saw them in Doncaster and all the talk post gig was about this weird band with the girl bass player.
  • Metallica at Milton Keynes in 1993.  Had only heard the black album at that point.  Mainly went along because The Almighty and Megadeth were supporting.

Metallica absolutely blew me away that day.  First thing I did on my next day off was to head to HMV and buy their entire back catalogue.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• axisus said:
    Stone Broken are playing In London, Feb next year. I have no clue about the band or their music, but I would very much like to see the support act - fab American blues player Jared James Nichols. I would have definitely have gone but for the fact that it is a Saturday and that is most inconvenient.

Ever been just for a support band?
    Saw Stone Broken at Download and listened to their CD a few times.  Not particularly breaking any new ground, but they've got some good riffs and tunes, and I'd go and see them if they were playing locally.  YMMV, of course.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I went to the pier in southsea to see Echobelly in the early 90s was only interested in Rialto who were supporting but echobelly were pretty good too.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I went to see Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians who were supporting Billy Bragg at the T&C in 1990/1991. Got stuck in traffic and missed 3/4 of RH & E set! I quite liked Billy Bragg but was so pissed off that I left before he came on.

I went to see Coldplay (oh the shame) at the Forum in Tunbridge Wells just before their first LP came out. They were second on the bill supporting a band who I think were called Janus or something like that. Their singer danced like Ian Curtis and they had keyboards instead of bass. To be fair Coldplay were quite good. Chris Martin had floppy curly hair and was really excited about their single creeping into the lower end of the top 40.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1207
    edited November 2017
    munckee said:
    I went to the pier in southsea to see Echobelly in the early 90s was only interested in Rialto who were supporting but echobelly were pretty good too.
    I went to see Rialto supporting Echo and the Bunnymen at Brixton Academy. My girlfriend wanted to see the Bunnymen but I preferred Rialto. In fact I saw them several times and Kinky Machine before that.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Didn’t go specifically for it but I got dragged to see Robbie at Knebworth by the GF - I enjoyed Ash and The Darkness a lot more than Robbie!
  • westwest Frets: 994
    acdc headlined donnington in 1984 ,but i went to see van halen with dlr ;)