Harmonising - guidance needed

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980

If I play the G major scale (ot the G minor), what notes harmonise with them? I propose to record playing these scales on my looper pedal and have no idea on where to start playing harmony notes or even what they are. All help and assistance appreciated as usual...
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Usually the 3rd's and 5th's harmonise well, or you can add others to form a chord.

E.g if you are in G then you can play a B and D note to make it a major or power chord (depending on which notes you use). You can create a major 7 if you play the F# as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited November 2017
    If it helps, here are the chords that can support the two scales. As mentioned above, some are more harmonious than others because they have more 3rds and 5ths and fewer 2nds and 7ths, but the G scales will fit over all of them. 

For G major:
    The ii chord (a minor or am7)
    The iii chord (b minor or bm7)
    The IV chord (C major or Cmaj7)
    The V or V7 chord (D major or D7)
    The vi chord (e minor or em7)
    The V or V7 chord in 1st inversion, which is D/F# - 254232 or just the D7 chord, thumb over)

for G natural minor:
    The ii(dim) chord (a minor b5)
    The III chord (Bb major or Bbmaj7)
    The iv chord (c minor or cm7)
    The v chord (d minor or dm7; you can also play D7 if you're happy to break out of natural minor and accept that your G minor scale will have an F# instead of an F)
    The VI chord (E major or Emaj7)
    The VII chord (F major or F7)
    (Or you could play the V chord in 1st inversion, which would be D7/F# as above, again if you're happy to break out of natural minor; or you could play f#dim)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • This sounds nice ... in 3rds as suggested above, ie. harmonise the 1st note of the major scale with the 3rd, the 2nd with the 4th and so on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---2-------3-------5------7--------9-------10--------12--------14--
    ---3-------5-------7-------8------10-------12-------14--------15----

When other sites and teachers leave you frustrated: https://www.taplature.com/ 100% Unique, 100% Effective, 100% Free!