Digitech Trio Band Creator

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
I am not into using FX but the latest issue of Hot Deals from Thomann dropped into out letterbox yesterday and a Digitech Trio Band Creator is listed at €79. Has anyone any knowledge/experience of this pedal? I am persevering with, and struggling with, a Boss RC-3 looper, would that Digitech pedal be any easier to use or it it a different type of pedal entirely? A Trio+ is listed too at €249. Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    They’re £40 at G4M and Amazon! See the other thread!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I got my trio+ for about £175 on a deal... They're worth the money but I can't speak for the staggers trio

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2942
    Trio+ has built in looper, normal Trio does not. So if looping's your game, you will need the + version. It also adds some more styles over vanilla.

I have the basic model and it usually goes something like this:
    1. random chord strumming (learn), replay Trio attempt to match up, sounds awful, grimace.
    2. Turn down bass player, find nice sounding drum pattern from the recognised styles, turn up bass player, sounds awful.
    3. Play original random chord sequence over the top, sounds awful.
    4. Forget about original chord sequence and play along with drummer, bass player now (somehow) 'makes sense'
    5. Amazement that from nothing there is now a semi coherent 'jam' happening.
    6. Now I'm not sure it does this but to me the bass player 'adapts to the new jam and starts to sound authentic.
    7. Hours pass, great fun.

I'm sure having the built in looper would add another dimension. But I love the basic idea and it always pulls something out of the bag even though you don't ever expect it to.

Here's a bit of late night noodling with Trio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJrQIGMyoCA

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Do you think one could use it as a live band tool?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Do you think one could use it as a live band tool?
    Not without an awful lot of apologising to the audience.

My experience with it is remarkably similar to @blobb ;

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2942
    it has three patterns so you could line up a verse / chorus / middle type thing if you prep it beforehand. but only one song and it's pot luck. If you are doing it live, in real time, then it could be fun to see what happens! so i guess it depends on the context.

As a proof of concept though, it's brilliant. Much better than I expected it to be. For idea generation it's great - that's really what I use it for, then into DAW with the idea for building up. There have been times when I just wanted to record the whole ensemble in action though.

but that bass player..........gets there in the end though.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i bought one of these 39.99 from amazon played with it for a few days and decided it wasnt that useful for me so ive sent it back.  i found it too unpredictable as to what rhythm you get
  • I got one and i love it. 
  • blobb said:
    it has three patterns so you could line up a verse / chorus / middle type thing if you prep it beforehand. but only one song and it's pot luck. If you are doing it live, in real time, then it could be fun to see what happens! so i guess it depends on the context.

As a proof of concept though, it's brilliant. Much better than I expected it to be. For idea generation it's great - that's really what I use it for, then into DAW with the idea for building up. There have been times when I just wanted to record the whole ensemble in action though.

but that bass player..........gets there in the end though.
    The plus stores 12 songs, each with up to 5 parts. If you have another memory card, double that. You could absolutely gig with it.

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Forget the standard trio version.

If you want a trio, then it HAS to be the + version.
  • fandango said:
    Forget the standard trio version.

If you want a trio, then it HAS to be the + version.
    The man speaks truth

• maybe thats why they are selling off the standard one cheap. i found it to limiting, even just as a practise tool.
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    Anyone have a view on whether the Trio and/or the Trio+ have an effect on tone? I found that a Digitec looper I had sucked dynamics out of my guitar sound and was therefore not at all satisfying to use - even though it was quite a subtle thing.

On the other hand I have since tried a Ditto and a Pigtronix Infinity looper, and they are both completely transparent to my ears.

If the Trio was similarly transparent I may be tempted by one...
  • @smigeon ; I've not done any scientific testing but I haven't noticed anything. Plus the trio+ has some good fx itself. (For each "genre" it has a different rhythm and lead tone which can be toggled, so you can run it in front of the amp and use basic fx.

• m_cm_c Frets: 1238
    I've finally bit the bullet and pre-ordered a plus from Andertons. They still have them priced at £179, however I suspect that'll go up and be nearer all the other suppliers prices once the new stock arrives. Plus I get triple points, so it adds £5.37 to my points collection (so I've now got just under a tenner to spend on something I probably don't need at some point in the future).