Speaker repair - is this rescue-able and is it worth it?

rexterrexter Frets: 369
in Amps tFB Trader
I have an old alnico speaker that apparently came from a Fender Champ that I'm really curious to try in my '73 Vibro Champ. It currently has a ceramic Weber signature in it, sounds good, but stays clean all the way to full volume pretty much and I'd like a bit of lower volume breakup if possible - hence hungering for an inefficient alnico speaker in it!

Somebody gave me this free as I'm finishing a bass for them, but I just wonder can it be saved, either with some nifty diy, or if by a repair guy would it cost more than it's worth?

It's fairly buggered:

Any input appreciated - thanks!

Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
www.rexterguitars.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    It could be re-coned, but it will cost much more that it's worth, and they aren't great anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the reply - kind of what I thought but good to get confirmation that trying to resurrect it would be silly. I think it's beyond help then... unless i get the sellotape out and see what happens.
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    rexter said:
    Thanks for the reply - kind of what I thought but good to get confirmation that trying to resurrect it would be silly. I think it's beyond help then... unless i get the sellotape out and see what happens.
    A waste of sellotape :).

It's totally beyond help, without being completely re-coned. The voice coil isn't even in the magnet gap any more, and getting it to line up properly would be nearly impossible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Looks like the best use for that is the world's most powerful fridge magnet.
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Looks like the best use for that is the world's most powerful fridge magnet.
    What with my wife being angry with me filling the freezer with guitar bodies this week, that might just take the biscuit!
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk