I bought an FRFR, and I think I like it.

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
edited November 2017 in Amps
Been gassing for an FRFR for my Helix for a while. Popped into LMS for a butchers at the DXR10.

Yeah. They look nice. Assistant pops over and we have a chat. "The Yamaha is great, but why not A/B it with the QSC K10.2"

Er, the what? Well. Ok. 

Crikey. It's loud. Really bloody loud. Like a lot louder than the DXR10. It also has substantially better bass response.

"Its got different DSP settings on it" says the assistant "See? There's a bass amp one too - you can plug a bass in direct to channel B and set it to instrument and..."

I heard blah blah blah from then on. Tried a passive bass into channel B and it was basically a good solid bass combo amp. A really good articulate bass amp. 

It also has a flat studio monitor setting, and two combo sockets so you can do mic, line, instrument etc. With the DSP settings you could use it for vocals, an acoustic instrument with or without Preamp, a bass, a Helix, or pretty much any combination of them.

Its 14kg and just slightly smaller than the DXR10. It's about £100 more. 6 year warranty. Its rated at about 2000w peak and 1200w constant. Sits on the floor as a wedge or upright, or on a stand. 

Basically, I'll use it live as a bass monitor and DI to front of house. I can use my mini board with Preamp DI on it or Helix. Crikey.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27437
    You have more interesting shopping trips than me.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    TTony said:
    You have more interesting shopping trips than me.
    Not planned at all. Wanted to just have a look. It was just so much better than the DXR10 and it had money off. I felt compelled.
    and it had money off. 
    Yup.  They're on run out now before the new model comes out.

I can't see them going below £100 though, even with the BF deals!
    TTony said:
    and it had money off. 
    Yup.  They're on run out now before the new model comes out.

I can't see them going below £100 though, even with the BF deals!
    True. They probably saw me coming. Still, it does the job I wanted an FRFR for - and more.
    :D 
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited November 2017
    Used to have the k8 and thought it was amazing  size / price wise. Have a Atomic CLR now but still think those are great value for money
    cbellanga said:
    Used to have the k8 and thought it was amazing to the size / price. Have a Atomic CLR now but still think those are great value for money
    Surprised at the power and sound quality out of the k10.2 - it was a lot richer and had so much more depth compared to the DXR10
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    QSC K8.2 user here and love it. I have a DXR10 too, but haven’t used it since owning the Quilter.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28050
    QSC make since good stuff. The speakers can be a bit brash for music reproduction but not unpleasantly so.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    It seems to be fine for bass and for helix duties. I wouldn't say it's a harsh sound at all, but maybe it's their new DSP profiles - I can imagine some of them (programmed for "dance" and "live bright") could be a bit harsh.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4167
    Sporky said:
    QSC make since good stuff. The speakers can be a bit brash for music reproduction but not unpleasantly so.
    Yeah our PA is based around two of these, or similar at least (I can't remember precisely, despite standing next to one every Wednesday night). 

A lot cleaner than the Bose they replaced, lighter too. Bloody loud with it, as @Bridgehouse is quickly discovering. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2083
    That’s good review, the DXR seems to be the choice model for kempers but this looks like a good alternative.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28050
    It seems to be fine for bass and for helix duties. I wouldn't say it's a harsh sound at all, but maybe it's their new DSP profiles - I can imagine some of them (programmed for "dance" and "live bright") could be a bit harsh.
    I didn't (and wouldn't) say harsh - they're just a bit "forward" compared to some others, which suits some music and some environments. Spend vastly more on Nexo (point source - the arrays are awful) or d&b and I think you get something more flattering.

For instrument use that aggression in the QSCs can be a big advantage, and we're talking differences that you only really hear when back-to-back listening.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    You know that's the new model of the k10 I use?
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    My pa is x2 K12's and x2 KSubs. 4yrs I've had it now, gigged it most weekends with zero problems. Sounds stellar as well. Way better than the Mackie gear I previously had. 
    horse said:
    Yes - that's most of the reason I gave it a try ;)

Tho I'm not gonna let you try it in case you feel compelled to upgrade and get in trouble with Mrs horse :D
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    horse said:

Tho I'm not gonna let you try it in case you feel compelled to upgrade and get in trouble with Mrs horse :D
    For my purposes I think I can avoid temptation, but I'd really have loved 2 of them to run in stereo, but too extravagent unfortunately! We'll be like the qsc club at load in
    horse said:
    horse said:

For my purposes I think I can avoid temptation, but I'd really have loved 2 of them to run in stereo, but too extravagent unfortunately! We'll be like the qsc club at load in
    Lol - maybe they will sponsor us :)
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    How controllable is this for home use? I'm looking at getting a DXR10 for home, this worth looking at instead?
    peteri said:
    How controllable is this for home use? I'm looking at getting a DXR10 for home, this worth looking at instead?
    Yes. Definitely - one of the DSP settings is "studio monitor" - nice flat response specially for small rooms.

You can balance the channel volume and Helix volume for perfectly acceptable bedroom style levels.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom