eBay - buyer arranging collection

What's Hot
CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
Is this a bad idea?  

I presume the buyer could pretend they never picked it up and get their money back from PayPal/eBay?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Paypal and post, or cash and collection are both ok.

Paypal and collection is "sure you can have my guitar for nothing!" 

I had one try it with me a while back.  All sorts of excuses were made by the buyer but I just said it was against ebay rules.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Just take a picture of them taking it away...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    spark240 said:
    Just take a picture of them taking it away…
    For your own amusement, if you like! It has no other value to Ebay.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240 said:

Yup  what he said, you could even get them to sign a receipt when take a pic, all they have to do say their account was hacked and... Well. Good bye money and guitar. 
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Thanks, guys.

Re-enforced my initial thoughts but I’m a cynical bugger and wanted to make sure I wasn’t going mad.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    just to be clear for the future, if I buy an amp on ebay, pay with paypal, and then arrange collection by a courier, it would be against ebay rules?
    I only ask as a mate was trying to do the same thing as he doesn't trust other couriers and prefers to go through one of his choice.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    lukedlb said:
    just to be clear for the future, if I buy an amp on ebay, pay with paypal, and then arrange collection by a courier, it would be against ebay rules?
    I only ask as a mate was trying to do the same thing as he doesn't trust other couriers and prefers to go through one of his choice.
    It's not against Ebay rules, but the seller would be unwise to allow it since they're opening the door to a chargeback scam, if you were someone dishonest. There are many sellers who either don't know this or are willing to take the risk though.

If you're the seller, nothing other than shipping it to the buyer's confirmed Paypal address via a tracked, signed-for courier arranged by the seller holds any water as proof of delivery with Ebay.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    ICBM said:
    lukedlb said:
    It's not against Ebay rules, but the seller would be unwise to allow it since they're opening the door to a chargeback scam, if you were someone dishonest. There are many sellers who either don't know this or are willing to take the risk though.

If you're the seller, nothing other than shipping it to the buyer's confirmed Paypal address via a tracked, signed-for courier arranged by the seller holds any water as proof of delivery with Ebay.
    Thank you for the explanation. As only a buyer. and a paranoid one at that, I forget to consider the cautions a seller should take. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    spark240 said:
    You might be able to enter a photographic competition with it but it won't help you get your guitar and money back.
  • I have had this and suspected the buyer was not in this country ( and was confirmed by the polish courier who collected the amp), there is a scam going on at the moment whereby someone will pay via paypal and then once you have had the items collected they reverse the credit card payment saying their card was stolen, what this means to you is you loose all your money as paypal has to abide by the credit card peoples terms and conditions and offer a full refund therefore no money and no goods and you also have to pay the eBay fee's. Ebays stance on this is once the transaction has gone through its up to the you the seller to get paid and its not their responsibility (Ebay's words not mine as I contacted the on line help).

What i did was to cancel the transaction and demand that if they still wanted to collect via a courier the courier had to bring hard cash with them and i wouldn't let the item go until i had counted and tested each note. which they did and the notes were fine.

Hope this helps
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    ICBM said:
    lukedlb said:

I say "against ebay rules" because it has the desired effect on the potential scammer.

Its also important to note that as well as Ebay taking no notice of 'proof' like passports or driver's licence, neither will the Police - they will take no action.  You have been warned.
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    The guy is quite persistent, but I’m not getting involved.  Far too likely to be a scam although he has near perfect eBay feedback.
  • Maybe off subject but how does one check notes are counterfeit or not these days ? @TimberG ;
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Maybe off subject but how does one check notes are counterfeit or not these days ? @TimberG ;
    send them to me and if the're fake il destroy them for you