Converting existing garage into a music room

What's Hot

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Danny1969 said:
    Your kind of over thinking it .... your gonna teach in it, not live in it ...... that's 2 separate things.... Electric and a solid door is what you would expect in any garage anyway

I did mine, to a standard that was soundproof so I could record loud guitars late at night. This meant a lot more material than you would need (only thing that stops sound is mass) . I also converted a mates to a similar man cave for his guitars

Basically I did the following

Made good any holes in the walls and roof

Ripped out old window and door and replaced with well measured UPVC 

Battened the walls and insulated the walls and roof with acoustic grade Rockwool

Then a vapour barrier, then lined the walls and ceiling with plasterboard

Built false floor with vapour barrier 

Many builders will want to run the cable behind the plasterboard so they can cut into the plasterboard and use flush fitting pattresses for the electrics ... this looks neater but it will degrade the performance of the plasterboard in terms of it's thermal and acoustic performance. For best results surface mount sockets and put wire in conduit 

In terms of cost your probably talking about 1.8K in materials for a basic single garage and 2 weeks labour so probably around 4K for builders to do it in total 
    4k sounds cheap to me too, im looking at commisioning a garage conversion at the mometn and ballpark quotes have ranged from 7-12k. 

I know your pretty local to me so if you know anyone worth contacting to quote would def be interested.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd have to apply for planning permission though wouldn't I? Surely I can't just go and build a studio on my tod
    I think if its jsut a garage conversin then it will fall under permitted development. My local council have a form you can fill in to submit some sketches and they will confirm that you dont need planning permission ...it £79 but cheaper than doing a full planning permission application I would have thought.
    I think its fine if I'm just adding bricks and windows. Its not like we're building from scratch according to the electrician who had an extension built in his house.
  • He came back and noticed all the rendering outside the garage is fucked and would need replacing, so now we are getting his builder mate round to have a look and really diagnose what we'd be looking at in costs. Hoping it don't add alot of money onto the budget! Anyone know how much rendering usually costs?
  • Builder comes round and has a look at the overall garage, roof needs doing now, suggested fibreglass to prevent leaks and also the seams round the edges have gone. Combined with the rendering that's going to be the bulk of the costs, but he has taken measurements and factored in what I want done and should be getting a price in the next few days.
    def be interested to see what your quote is if you dont mind sharing. Im getting quotes at the moment for a conversion for an integral garage so would be good to compare.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Yeah no worries, once I get the quote I'll post it on here. My reckoning is the roof and rendering will cost the most. The actual inside work isn't too bad just bricks, plasterboards (dot and dab) and electrics really. Oh, and the carpet.

Mine might cost more cos I'm in London though (don't know where you're based!)
    South East so also in the expensive zone :D I expect they'll want to build the floor up to level with the interior house for mine but expecting little if any ground works (jsut need to brick up the garage door and put wind in) plus dot+dab plus electrics
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • As you saw in previous posts my garage is not attached to my house its right at the back of the garden and is in a bit of a state, so alot of work needs to be done for it to be usable. Just hoping its not going to be a hefty price to do everything!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    I'd have to apply for planning permission though wouldn't I? Surely I can't just go and build a studio on my tod
    I think if its jsut a garage conversin then it will fall under permitted development. My local council have a form you can fill in to submit some sketches and they will confirm that you dont need planning permission ...it £79 but cheaper than doing a full planning permission application I would have thought.
    If you need CAD drawings & not having them is preventing you from moving the project forward, then give me a shout.  I would be happy to help.
    duotone said:
    I'd have to apply for planning permission though wouldn't I? Surely I can't just go and build a studio on my tod
    If you need CAD drawings & not having them is preventing you from moving the project forward, then give me a shout.  I would be happy to help.
    Dont think I'll need them as long as the window is the correct minimum size Im pretty confident this falls under permitted development. My case is pretty straightforward though, might be less so for the OP which is why I suggested it
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just heard back from the builder and his electrician mate, he said its going to cost approx £18,000 to do the work, the roof and rendering being the biggest costs. Oof. It might be a bit less but its still ALOT of fucking money.

Will be hunting around other builders though.
    fuck thats a chunk
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Yeah double what I expected it to cost. I'm trying to find someone else to do it for less and just use electrician matey for the socks/lights etc. Originally we didn't know the roof was so bad and the rendering had to be done. If it was mainly bricking up and plaster boarding then it would have been alright I reckon.

Best start buying some lottery tickets then eh.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Just heard back from the builder and his electrician mate, he said its going to cost approx £18,000 to do the work, the roof and rendering being the biggest costs. Oof. It might be a bit less but its still ALOT of fucking money.

Will be hunting around other builders though.
    Woah thats a HUGE leap.  
  • After speaking again we have established our main priorities are the roof and the rendering. So what we will do is get a new quote for these and have a look at the interior stuff later on, if I sort the materials out I only pay day rate to him and his mate to do the other stuff. I'm not on a timeline to have this done, but it'd allow us to spread out the cost and allow time to save more money.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    edited October 2018
    Just to update everyone on this we have established the main structure/stability of the building needs work, lintels needed to support the weight of the roof, and is not stable currently. We are starting work next week on this plus removing garage door to brick up. New UPVC windows/doors installed and celotex insulation under a new felt roof. Get everything watertight and exterior neat and tidy first.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    edited January 2019
    Another update:

So its now January 2019 and the work mentioned above was done back in November, just didn't put any photos up cos I wanted it all finished first. I know I took some flak for a silly funding idea on here which I apologise to anyone who got pissed off at it. Just at the time originally we thought the quoted work would have to be broken up into multiple stages. But ironically the very next day we sourced a guy who could do the work much cheaper which saved several grand.

But yeah a new felt roof has bee installed, 3 new UPVC windows have been fitted, and a door. The back garage door has been removed and bricked up.

This week the inside plasterboard will be fitted with outside render too. Electrics will also be installed and carpet fitted.

As far as the "not attracting council attention" thing goes, I kinda don't want to post any photos on social media or anything, but how they can prove it belongs to me anyway? It could be somewhere else.

Also with plasterboarding, once its fitted and bolted in, there's another layer of plaster over that to smooth and then to paint over right?
  • Plastering has been done, just waiting for it to dry now before painting over. Electrics being installed tomorrow (sockets/lights)

Last step will be carpet and I will be all finished!

Been asked what LED downlight type I want, cool, natural or warm, any ideas what is the best to choose?
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I'd go for warm, with complex yet haunting midtones.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • Hmm the electrician suggested natural or neutral, I want a good balance between energy saving and enough light to look at any chord charts/tabs on my music stand.