Talk me out of a GS Mini?

What's Hot
Found a mint GS Mini E Mahogany for £400 locally....someone tell me I’m making a mistake and I don’t want one?!

Seriously though, any reason not to? Seems a good deal, just had a setup and looks immaculate - £200 off new prices. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Buy it if you can afford to. You'll sell it for that in the new year if you don't want to keep it. 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1239
    Do you seriously think anybody on this forum will talk you out of buying something so well priced?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Small guitars sound small.

That's why all their marketing is aimed at talking about how *this* one doesn't sound small.

Were you in the market for a small-sounding guitar before you saw this offer? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited November 2017
    TimmyO said:
    Small guitars sound small.

That's why all their marketing is aimed at talking about how *this* one doesn't sound small.

Were you in the market for a small-sounding guitar before you saw this offer? 
    I bought a little James Neligan parlour guitar from a chap on here but I don’t love it - mainly down to the 12 fret join which I thought I could live with but it annoys me! I’m happy enough with the sound and from memory the GS Mini I played a year or so ago was good; and punched well above it’s size sound wise. 

I only play at home, in a small room, so I don’t need enormous sound....and I have small hands and so the more comfortable to play the better. Lots of ticks in the GS Mini box!
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Depends whether you like GS Minis. I know many players like them. I had one and hated it. Put me off acoustic guitar for quite a while - as I thought that's what acoustic guitars sounded like. The neck was beautiful, the top sounded like it was made of cardboard. My opinion, YMMV, etc.
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    I have the spruce one, which I like a lot. It's bright and authoritative and sounds great amplified at open mic things. When I bought it I tried a mahogany one as well - which was OK but (contrary to my expectations) but not as good as the spruce one to my ears. The mahogany one was less bright, as expected, but sounded dull and subdued next to the one I bought.

That probably doesn't help at all!
  • jakzekjakzek Frets: 55
    I think I’m going to pull the trigger on one too this week.

Tried both the standard and the Koa last week and they are so fun to play and sound great for the size. I’m not an acoustic player really but I don’t have one anymore so this would be perfect to just grab and go when I feel like playing.

The koa sounded better in my opinion, only reason I didn’t buy is because I wanted to compare it to the mahogany but they didn’t have any in stock unfortunately. 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1239
    @jellyroll that's probably a valid comment. I've got a Koa top Mini, and with the stock elixir strings, I do find it a bit dull/lacking treble sounding unless I really attack the strings with a pick. The stock action is a bit high, so when I do get around to restringing it, I'll knock a bit of the bridge, and try some different strings.

However, as it is, it's a nice guitar to sit and noodle on and hone technique.

• enjoenjo Frets: 278
    I find a full size acoustic difficult to play as a smaller guy and the GS mini gave me the love for acoustic sounds again. I love mine but only payed £260 for it just over a year ago so there is some food for thought at least.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    (non E version, hog)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    Good price and IMO the mahogany version is the second-best sounding - I prefer the koa just a little bit but there's not a tonne in it. Really expected to hate these little guitars and then the experience was quite the opposite - they are fun and easy to play and they sound remarkably bigger than they are.
    Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated. I’m going to pull the trigger as an eBay search suggests I’m not going to lose money should I want to move it on. 
  • SparkySparky Frets: 90
    You can have mine for £360-currently on the sales page. Depending on where you live, I'll happily meet you half way as work means I travel a lot.
    Thanks @Sparky I did see yours but assumed it was without the pickup - I’m after the electro version!
  • SparkySparky Frets: 90
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Thanks @Sparky I did see yours but assumed it was without the pickup - I’m after the electro version!
    Gotcha, no worries. Mine is the non electric one. Good luck with your purchase!
  • It's my understanding that the GS mini is marketed as a Travel guitar or guitar of convenience and therefore I'd see no good reason why you would have this as a number one choice for playing at home, for that there are better options in this price range. My only experience of Travel guitars was a Baby Taylor and TBH that was fit only for firewood.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    You see a lot for sale secondhand 
    Red ones are better. 
    Sparky said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Gotcha, no worries. Mine is the non electric one. Good luck with your purchase!
    Thanks, GLWTS!
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    TimmyO said:
    You see a lot for sale secondhand 
    Or, to re-phrase, the bag is better than the guitar.
    edited November 2017

It's my understanding that the GS mini is marketed as a Travel guitar or guitar of convenience and therefore I'd see no good reason why you would have this as a number one choice for playing at home, for that there are better options in this price range. My only experience of Travel guitars was a Baby Taylor and TBH that was fit only for firewood.
    My main reason for considering it as an only guitar is comfort. I have small, child like hands and wrists, and can find full sized acoustics a challenge from a strength perspective. When I played a GS mini a year or so ago I was very taken with the playability, felt like I was playing an electric but with a very impressive sound for the size. Sure - if you’re expecting it to sound like a dread you’re going to be disappointed - but I kept my expectations in line with the specification.  

Another aspect is that where I only play at home in a small room, a full body acoustic can actually be far too loud at times. 

Internet reviews are in the main very favourable (especially of the Mahogany and Koa models) and they seem to hold a good second hand value.