Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How many times will I buy a les paul

What's Hot

Comments

• skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 909
    edited November 2017
    adampeter said:
    skaguitar said:
    get a 335 ...you won't be disappointed
    I did....and like an idiot i p/x'd against another LP, and regretted it straightaway.....335 is defo on the incoming list 
    i just got my first one... had it a couple of weeks and haven't played any of my other guitars and that never happens when I get a new guitar..I usually still play my others..!
    skaguitar said:
    get a 335 ...you won't be disappointed
    Any particular reissue or spec?
    mine is a 63 re issue..block inlays...slimmer neck... love it
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I don’t realy get on with Les Paul’s but the tone of a good one is impossible to beat.  I’ve never heard a PRS sound as good, but I’d probably prefer one for everyday use.  Unless I had one, then I’d want the tone of the Les Paul.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Over the years I had 4 Les Pauls. 
    I too kept thinking I *could* and then later realised I'm just not into that thing they have.
    A few years pass and here we go 'round again.

I've taken more to the ESP/LTD version of the single cut style but even that tests me after a while. 

My strat is like my right arm.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    I started on Les Pauls and played them for years, but then I got a old 1960 strat and stopped playing them for many years.  I still pull them out and use them for some things, but then I got a 25.5" scale Les Paul made and that sounded totally different and gave me a lot of what I wanted.  Now though, I tend to play my Feline Lion when I want a Les Paul sound.  It has a great feel and plays really well.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2797
    PhilKing said:
    I started on Les Pauls and played them for years, but then I got a old 1960 strat and stopped playing them for many years.  I still pull them out and use them for some things, but then I got a 25.5" scale Les Paul made and that sounded totally different and gave me a lot of what I wanted.  Now though, I tend to play my Feline Lion when I want a Les Paul sound.  It has a great feel and plays really well.
    This all sounds just about right to me.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited November 2017
    Do you play seated with the guitar on your picking hand leg?

A lot of the people who dislike the ergonomics and prefer Strat types seem to do so. They are a bit uncomfortable on that leg.

I find LP ergonomics fine when standing. Sits at a nice angle quite naturally for my tastes. I play seated with the guitar on my fretting hand thigh, with strap, foot on a guitar stool, angle ends up pretty much the same as standing for me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    I tend to play standing most of the time, unless it's acoustic guitar.  I have to think which leg I put the guitar on if I'm sat down.  I can't get one, because they are all in transit, as we are moving 500 miles.  I'll have to check it out at the weekend when they all arrive again.  I think I have them over the fretting hand leg though,
  • i've had 7 Les Pauls, been over this so many times, they sound ace, but are like playing a wardrobe.

I recently got a Knaggs Kenai which is the nicest singlecut i've had, i did have a PRS Tremonti years ago that was a great guitar

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    Man I love my LP Standard had it since 99 and no desire to trade or swap it. Love it for what it is, nothing like it for me.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Do you play seated with the guitar on your picking hand leg?

A lot of the people who dislike the ergonomics and prefer Strat types seem to do so. They are a bit uncomfortable on that leg.

I find LP ergonomics fine when standing. Sits at a nice angle quite naturally for my tastes. I play seated with the guitar on my fretting hand thigh, with strap, foot on a guitar stool, angle ends up pretty much the same as standing for me.

100% agree with this, I find an LP really awkward when sitting down and much prefer to play it stood up (apart from the weight that is) probably a result of playing Strats for the past 30 years. 
  • I must have had getting on a dozen LPs in total and still have 4 at the moment. I love ‘em though if I’m being honest, as much for the looks as the sounds they produce. I’ve owned LPs that we’re just dark, dark, dark. I prefer the sound of a single coil so for me a P90 LP is just the best. My number 1 right now is a Tokai R4 style wrap tail gold top and it’s the most perfectly playable LP I’ve ever touched.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    I don't tend to play Les Pauls at home - and I totally get what folks are saying about the ergonomics when sitting.

However, my Goldtop is like a comfort blanket when playing live. It just *works*.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    edited November 2017
    I have been through the same thing with singlecuts. Historics, Hubers, Collings, PRS etc, and the answer is McInturff Carolina.

Sounds like a proper LP, none of the other non Gibsons did. Sits more comfortably than a Gibbo. Amazing upper fret access. Straight string pull at headstock, and no tuning issues. Strengthened at the usual headstock break area. Arched top is contoured on the upper side for forearm comfort. Weighs 8lb dead, with no chambering. Great controls that are usable, and custom wound Florance Voodoo 59 pickups. Incredible build quality all over.

And no messing about with funky neck angles. Exactly where it should be, tailepiece decked and strings well clear of the back of the bridge. Having the right neck angle seems to regularly correlate with a good sounding and playing guitar. Some of the Gibson LP's and ES335's I have seen recently, jeeez...... Really need to find the right one of those....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Before I realise that I don't get on with les pauls.

Latest is a beautiful 58 historic vos lemon burst. Stunning guitar but I should have bought a 335 historic burst

Just saying

Never found a Les Paul I liked, never found a Strat I liked.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    Alnico said:
    Over the years I had 4 Les Pauls. 
    I too kept thinking I *could* and then later realised I'm just not into that thing they have.
    A few years pass and here we go 'round again.

I've taken more to the ESP/LTD version of the single cut style but even that tests me after a while. 

My strat is like my right arm.

I find the ESP version fixes a lot of obvious problems about Les Pauls.

Mostly the neck join and the weight are a big "improvement".

I have an Indie Guitar LP that is on my "to sell" list and it is just too heavy for me to play often.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

I have a lot of money tied up in an R8, and I'm wondering about moving it on as I really only play it at home.  I'm playing my other guitars more, and I really like the look of something along the lines of that Esquire that @guitars4you is selling in his Black Friday deals.  Something like that I would use live.

At the same time, it is nice to have a Les Paul, or something along those lines (maybe a PRS 594).  There is something about the sound that other guitars don't seem to be able to replicate.  There is also something iconic about them.

• I have the same thing with Strats. I've had 3 (possibly 4) and never keep them. I like the IDEA of Strats, but the reality is they're not right for me. I've had one Les Paul, which I kept out of duty, but never really enjoyed playing it. I part-exed it for  a PRS DGT and now I don't need a Strat or a Les Paul!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    LP switching & controls are very different from a Strat and need experimentation/learning.  Neck girth of LP varies a lot too from log to wafer, the VOS R series are very chunky. Need to find one to suit you - I love the 3 I have, all with thinner necks thougn not too thin. Also have a PRS SC as well.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback