Action/ truss rod problem?

What's Hot
this is my son’s friend’s Fender electro acoustic, his photos. He says the action has gone up dramatically to almost unplayable. Someone has told him it’s a problem with the truss rod. 

Anything thoughts? Ta.

I’m not sure of the model, apparently it cost him £260. 
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    edited November 2017
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Gone up as in it was fine and it's recently gone up a lot?
  • Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited November 2017
    Cant see the photo, but to check the truss rod (neck relief), put a capo on the first fret, and press down on the 14th fret of the low E. Now check how much of a gap you have between the low E and the top of the 7th fret. It should be around the thickness of a business card.

If the gap is bigger, the truss rod can be tightened slightly. If the gap looks ok, then it’s likely that the top of the guitar body has bowed and raised the height of the bridge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gone up as in it was fine and it's recently gone up a lot?
    Yes, that’s as I understood it. 

It doesn’t look too horrendous in the pictures but he says it has gone up a lot. 
  • https://i.imgur.com/qSZ9GPj.jpg

Thats all the photos now! 
    Gone up as in it was fine and it's recently gone up a lot?
    Yes, that’s as I understood it. 

It doesn’t look too horrendous in the pictures but he says it has gone up a lot. 
    Well it could be seasonal variance - which means a truss rod tweak. 

Or maybe the saddle has lifted for some reason. I can't see from the pics if the top is flat or if it's bowed up for some reason..
  • Maynehead said:
    Cant see the photo, but to check the truss rod (neck relief), put a capo on the first fret, and press down on the 14th fret of the low E. Now check how much of a gap you have between the low E and the top of the 7th fret. It should be around the thickness of a business card.

If the gap is bigger, the truss rod can be tightened slightly. If the gap looks ok, then it’s likely that the top of the guitar body has bowed and raised the height of the bridge.
    Okay, I’ll suggest that, cheers. 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Also worth checking the nut. If he’s restrung it recently with higher gauge strings, they may not be sitting in the nut grooves properly, thus creating a high action at the nut end.
    Maynehead said:

And remember - Righty tighty, lefty loosey...
  • Maynehead said:
    Also worth checking the nut. If he’s restrung it recently with higher gauge strings, they may not be sitting in the nut grooves properly, thus creating a high action at the nut end.
    Maynehead said:

And remember - Righty tighty, lefty loosey...
    Cheers both. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72259
    Check the relief first. Fret the G string at the first and fifteenth frets while holding the guitar in the normal playing position and look at the gap between the string and the 7th fret - if it's more than the string diameter, the relief is far too big.

If that's OK and the action has suddenly gone up, chances are a brace has come off inside the top.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein