SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Gaggia Classic pre-2015

I'm stepping into the world of espresso making at home, and after some research it seems that the Italian made, pre-Philips buyout of the Gaggia Classic is the one to go for.

I'm looking for a pristine example - preferably unused. Maybe a long shot, but if you've got one, throw me a PM!

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Word of warning; I had one, and it was rubbish. No end of faffing and bother and it was still like gnats piss. Now have an Ascaso, and that’s great. 
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 393
    edited November 2017
    Word of warning; I had one, and it was rubbish. No end of faffing and bother and it was still like gnats piss. Now have an Ascaso, and that’s great. 
    @GavRichList ;
    Interesting, you appear to be the only person in the world with this complaint Was it a new 2015 model? Apparently it doesn't have a solenoid valve and it greatly effects the quality.

Which Ascaso do you have? Never heard of them. (not that I know what I'm talking about)
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    edited November 2017
    Had one a few years ago, it can make good coffee once you get the technique down but its a lot of faff and mess, and the results can be inconsistent because the end result is based on many variables (bean freshness, bean type, amount of coffee used, tamping pressure etc etc). I've now gone down the nespresso route and can make cofffee in seconds which is mess free and  always consistent. 

The coffee snobs turn their nose up at nespresso capsules but it suits me fine....
  • Word of warning; I had one, and it was rubbish. No end of faffing and bother and it was still like gnats piss. Now have an Ascaso, and that’s great. 
    @GavRichList ;
    Interesting, you appear to be the only person in the world with this complaint Was it a new 2015 model? Apparently it doesn't have a solenoid valve and it greatly effects the quality.

Which Ascaso do you have? Never heard of them. (not that I know what I'm talking about)
    Pre-2015. Was just junk. Maybe I got a duff one, but it was shite and I was glad to give it away! Have the Ascaso Dream, in a slightly effeminate “wife-approved” blue colour - was the only way I could get the purchase over the line! 

http://i.imgur.com/avb6oXQ.jpg

• With any of these machines, you may need to "temperature surf" to get a really nice shot of coffee. I had a Rancilio Silvia and never really got my tamping or surfing down to the extent that I could produce a consistently good brew. But when it was good, my god it was good.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Had one a few years ago, it can make good coffee once you get the technique down but its a lot of faff and mess, and the results can be inconsistent because the end result is based on many variables (bean freshness, bean type, amount of coffee used, tamping pressure etc etc). I've now gone down the nespresso route and can make cofffee in seconds which is mess free and  always consistent. 

The coffee snobs turn their nose up at nespresso capsules but it suits me fine....
    I've found all coffee-pod solutions to taste of plastic. Could never get it to work for me.

Anyway, I am a fan of the process and i'm quite prepared to learn how to get it right; so that's not a problem.

Ascaso looks good Gav, but is twice the price of the Gaggia. i'll keep a look out for a used one
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    Pm'd