Order of Pedals.

What's Hot
SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I am in the process of building my pedalboard and just wanted to confirm the best order to place them in the chain.

I have:

Overdrive

Reverb

Delay

Looper Pedal

Many thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Depends on personal preference! I’d go drive, Delay, Reverb, looper. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    In general put analogue (overdrive) before digital (Reverb and delay). Delay and Reverb shouldn’t matter because, if the algorithms are correct, the result should be the same. Looper depends on what you want to loop.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • My rational is that Delay is still an effect, and reverb creates the space that I want it to be heard in, which is why I put Reverb at the end. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I'd always put reverb after delay - it sounds better, especially if you want some ambience. However, there are no rules only bad sounds.

Where the looper goes depends on what you want to loop.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    For me…

Overdrive > delay > looper > reverb.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited November 2017
    as a very general rule of thumb, orthodoxy would be:
    >  pitch changing (e.g. octave, pitchshifter, Whammy)   
    >  gain/dirt and tone (e.g. overdrive, distortion, fuzz, and EQ)
    >  modulation (e.g. chorus) 
    > delay
    >  reverb

so, in your case
    overdrive > delay > reverb

Re: looper 
    where you put the looper depends entirely on how you want to use it; i.e. which effects you want to have on your looped parts.
    Possibly, last in chain, or last in chain before reverb, may suit you best.

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited November 2017
    Roland said:
    In general put analogue (overdrive) before digital (Reverb and delay). Delay and Reverb shouldn’t matter because, if the algorithms are correct, the result should be the same. Looper depends on what you want to loop.
    curious methodology.  so you put an analogue delay before a digital distortion?   
    i don't see what analogue v's digital has got to do with it, surely it's about the sequence of type of effect that matters.

"[the sequence of] delay and Reverb shouldn’t matter because, if the algorithms are correct, the result should be the same" 
    - eh?  i don't get that either.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Depends whether you want to reverberate your delays, or add delays to your reverb.
  • Roland said:
    -at the risk of being rude I disagree entirely with all of this.

Analogue vs Digital doesn't matter for effects order. Effects type is what matters. 

As for the latter, Reverb into Delay is never going to sound the same as Delay into Reverb - - - that's not how sound works. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I think the reverb and delay order won't matter if the full reverb tail is shorter than the delay time and the delay has no tone modification in the repeats, but otherwise it will.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Roland said:
    In general put analogue (overdrive) before digital (Reverb and delay). Delay and Reverb shouldn’t matter because, 
    if the algorithms are correct, the result should be the same
    I don't understand that bit either.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I've got my Echo Park after my reverb and it doesn't sound right. It's only there because it shares the slot with my Trio - they both need a dedicated supply due to noise on daisy chains. 

Other delays / Echo pedals are before the reverb which sits much better in my opinion.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Roland said:
    -at the risk of being rude I disagree entirely with all of this.

Analogue vs Digital doesn't matter for effects order. Effects type is what matters. 

As for the latter, Reverb into Delay is never going to sound the same as Delay into Reverb - - - that's not how sound works. 

I agree with this It's the types of pedal fx, not analogue or digital. Personally I put my looper at the end so it it will take any sound I put into it or play 'over' it.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    Having gain of some sort after delay and/or reverb is common place in certain circles (I'm thinking shoegaze). Personally I find it doesn't matter one bit what order your pedals are in, once you get beyond a certain amount of drive/saturation. It just sounds big and filthy.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    ewal said:
    Having gain of some sort after delay and/or reverb is common place in certain circles (I'm thinking shoegaze).
    And elsewhere. Neil Young's usual sound is reverb before overdrive, and The Edge's is delay before overdrive, for example.

Whether it's going to work so well with a looper, I'm not sure - there's always a risk of making a big muddy mess if you layer too many similar thick sounds on top of each other.

Or you may like that :).

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4528
    If your reverb is modulated it sound good before delay
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Sassafras said:
    Roland said:
    In general put analogue (overdrive) before digital (Reverb and delay). Delay and Reverb shouldn’t matter because, 
    if the algorithms are correct, the result should be the same
    I don't understand that bit either.
    Reading it back I can’t work out where the analogue and digital came from. However it’s certainly distortion (eg overdrive) before modulation (eg Reverb and delay)
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Thanks for all the information guys!
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12340
    Having never had a looper before, if you put it last does that allow you to record clean rhythm and then driven lead? 
    munckee said:
    Having never had a looper before, if you put it last does that allow you to record clean rhythm and then driven lead? 
    Yes. Any pedals before the looper can be on or off for rhythm and lead parts; any pedals after the looper are on both.