Changing a Squier Telecaster Affinity's Pickups

What's Hot
I have been offered a set of MIM Telecaster Standard pickups for £25, would they be a worthwhile upgrade? If I changed them would I have to consider changing the pots? Sorry all a bit of a learning curve: )

Cheers

Simon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MIM Pickups might be a slight upgrade on what you have.
    If you're after budget pickups you could do worse than IronGear or ToneRider- both make good cheap pickups in a variety of flavours. 
    The pots in an Affinity are likely to be a bit cheap and nasty (a sure indicator is that they respond in an all or nothing way, good pots gradually increase and decrease as you turn them)...
    The issue once you start is where do you stop? Pots, wires, jack socket, capacitors, pickups... All can be upgraded. 
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Changing control electronics doesn't make any difference to sound, only to durability.

I hardly touch them (I play rock/metal with multiple channel amps which offer all the tonal versatility I need), so I wouldn't ever bother changing anything other than the pickup switch.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alegree said:
    Changing control electronics doesn't make any difference to sound, only to durability.

I hardly touch them (I play rock/metal with multiple channel amps which offer all the tonal versatility I need), so I wouldn't ever bother changing anything other than the pickup switch.
    At the other end of the spectrum I use the guitars controls all the time. 

I dial my crunchiest tone into the amp with my guitar controls at 10, then I know that by rolling off/ using picking dynamics I can get my clean etc. It drives me mad if a guitar doesn't have a good taper on the pots. 
    I only use one pedal (a Bad Monkey) for an extra boost if I'm playing a lead. 

Each to their own I guess. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31557
    I'd leave the bridge pickup in at least, the Affinity definitely has a more characterful twang than an MiM Standard. 

The neck pickups are probably much of a muchness tbh, you might just be better off removing the cover on the one that's in there. 
    Alegree said:

While I agree that the sound of pots with the same measured value is the same, I'm amazed to hear a pickup manufacturer imply that pot taper or overall quality is unimportant.  

A tenner's worth of decent quality 250k log pots is critical to how some of the world's best Tele players interact with their guitars, and is a far more crucial difference IMO than that between a couple of pairs of cheap ceramic pickups. 
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    I agree - I had a couple of Affinities a few years ago. Bridge pickup was pretty nice to my ears, especially after changing the 500k pots to 250k.  Assuming yours are 500k I'd change those first.
  • Thanks for the replies. I'm on a big learning curve and do like to tinker with things. Is there any recommended reading regarding guitar electrics, so I can understand what I'm doing!?
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    Alegree said:

While I agree that the sound of pots with the same measured value is the same, I'm amazed to hear a pickup manufacturer imply that pot taper or overall quality is unimportant.  

A tenner's worth of decent quality 250k log pots is critical to how some of the world's best Tele players interact with their guitars, and is a far more crucial difference IMO than that between a couple of pairs of cheap ceramic pickups. 
    I had no intention of making that implication at all. I sell high quality pots so it certainly isn't in my own interest to do so!

My point was that for someone expecting an instant tonal quality boost from upgrading them would be disappointed. Someone who wants a smoother taper or better durability wouldn't though. 

If it's got 500k and you find the pickups too shrill, going down to 250k, however, would be a tonal improvement.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • So if I change the pots would I be better using linear or logarithmic? Linear looks to me like it would give the smoother transition... am I correct?
    Alegree said:
    p90fool said:
    Alegree said:

I had no intention of making that implication at all. I sell high quality pots so it certainly isn't in my own interest to do so!

My point was that for someone expecting an instant tonal quality boost from upgrading them would be disappointed. Someone who wants a smoother taper or better durability wouldn't though. 

If it's got 500k and you find the pickups too shrill, going down to 250k, however, would be a tonal improvement.
    Ah fair enough, I misunderstood you. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    So if I change the pots would I be better using linear or logarithmic? Linear looks to me like it would give the smoother transition... am I correct?
    I think Logarithmic.

However, unless you are especially keen to tinker, putting money into an Affinity Strat is something to be wary of; the guitar is maybe worth £50-100, so don't go mad!
  • prowla said:
    So if I change the pots would I be better using linear or logarithmic? Linear looks to me like it would give the smoother transition... am I correct?
    I think Logarithmic.

However, unless you are especially keen to tinker, putting money into an Affinity Strat is something to be wary of; the guitar is maybe worth £50-100, so don't go mad!
    Good point... I may just be getting carried away. I should spend more time practicing instead: )
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    MIM pickups might be a slight upgrade on what you have.  
    Damned by faint praise. Rightly so.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.