Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Could you wire this up?

What's Hot

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    I'm with @sporky on this one. I'm kind of interested in trying one of these pickups but I'd want to wire it in a way that makes sense to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Would it be possible to offer a semi-custom service. Where people can request variations with more/less controls depending on their needs? 
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    I cannot help thinking that the likely customers for the Chameleon pickup pair will be self-selecting. The sort of guitarist who appreciates the sonic possibilities of the switching options will comprehend the necessary complexity of the wiring harness. 

The "Little Johnny" type of punter is unlikely to require anything this complex to begin with.
    I think you're right. But I have spoken to a number of customers who are interested in it, but have little wiring experience. Anyone who does probably won't be interested in buying a harness anyway, and they'll be perfectly fine wiring them up however they wish with my wiring scheme and their imagination.

I don't want to exclude anyone from being able to buy a set just on the basis that they can't wire them up themselves. This is my attempt to fill that niche of people who are interested but incapable.
    sweepy said:
    Maybe its the luddite in me but the fewer breaks in the signal path the better, I used to have mad switching options like that on my guitars in the late 70's and 80's, soon got very tedious indeed and the only switch I then fitted was a "blower" switch
    Then you're certainly not the target market of these pickups. 

I've been playing these for 2 months now and still haven't put the guitar down, and I usually cycle through guitars every couple of weeks. It still feels fresh and fun, and I'm still discovering new tones from it. The idea is that it's a versatile gigger's all in one solution. 
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Would it be possible to offer a semi-custom service. Where people can request variations with more/less controls depending on their needs? 
    Yes, a lot of my work is like that. If it's possible, I'll do it.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1971
    Initial thought: 

"spaghetti". :/
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    The other thing I'd ask is how usable it is with four pickup controls - are they usefully mapped to the available options?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • If you could present this in a cleaner, more consumable ‘PTP’ boutique amp way, with coloured wire, neat routing and cable ties so it looks compact and neat, then it would be much more attractive and I doubt anyone would even care what exactly is going on- at the moment it looks like a mad mess of wires, and not something that inspires confidence or have me reaching for my wallet imho.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    The other thing I'd ask is how usable it is with four pickup controls - are they usefully mapped to the available options?
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but unless you're going to be adding another hole to your guitar, you'll have two tones or two volumes (master tone in this example). All the volumes and master tone work as normal with all the modes.
  • Have you got a schematic? 
    tFB Trader
    If you could present this in a cleaner, more consumable ‘PTP’ boutique amp way, with coloured wire, neat routing and cable ties so it looks compact and neat, then it would be much more attractive and I doubt anyone would even care what exactly is going on- at the moment it looks like a mad mess of wires, and not something that inspires confidence or have me reaching for my wallet imho.
    I think there's only a certain level of neatness that can be achieved with this. But your point is a good one. I've underestimated how much people buy with their eyes.

I shall make some amendments and post a new photo when I get the new parts!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Have you got a schematic? 
    Only a crudely drawn one at present.
  • What others have said - it might be versatile and useful, but that picture makes it look like a complete mess and would certainly put me off buying one.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31370
    Leaving the selector switch aside for a moment, is there any reason that the pots and jack can't be neatly wired with short, tidy wires as a kind of finished assembly?

I realise that with complex switching the pickups will need to be soldered to the pots and switches, but surely the wires which are already there could be much neater?

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I say go for solderless connections, so all that needs doing is the pickups wires being attached to mini screw connectors.
  • Alegree said:
    Have you got a schematic? 
    Only a crudely drawn one at present.

I was thinking more along the lines of a true schematic showing electrical connections. Like this:

• aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    I agree that even if you don't need to understand it fully, it doesn't inspire confidence, however undeserved that is.  Make it look "professional" by colour coding, grouping wires and routing them neatly.  Shielded cable can make a big difference to reduce the amount of spaghetti.

• I was thinking more along the lines of a true schematic showing electrical connections. Like this:

Sorry but i dont think joe bloggs (me) will understand this too well, needs more colours   :) (i'm being serious btw)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• I was thinking more along the lines of a true schematic showing electrical connections. Like this:

Sorry but i dont think joe bloggs (me) will understand this too well, needs more colours   :) (i'm being serious btw)

This would not be aimed at you or Joe Bloggs, but rather at people like myself, Sporky, etc.
    tFB Trader

I was thinking more along the lines of a true schematic showing electrical connections. Like this:

This would not be aimed at you or Joe Bloggs, but rather at people like myself, Sporky, etc.
    I'll be providing pictures of how to wire up each mode, which ought to be sufficient for people like yourself, and wiring schematics for people to follow who don't have schematic designing abilities of their own. Why would a schematic like this be useful to you?

p90fool said:
    Leaving the selector switch aside for a moment, is there any reason that the pots and jack can't be neatly wired with short, tidy wires as a kind of finished assembly?

It's for an LP. Unless I made the harness the size of the body of an LP, the wires will end up being loose. I could just cable tie them off in a couple of folds when it comes to making it look nice. But shielding first - I completely overlooked shielding when designing this!

• Alegree said:

I'll be providing pictures of how to wire up each mode, which ought to be sufficient for people like yourself, and wiring schematics for people to follow who don't have schematic designing abilities of their own. Why would a schematic like this be useful to you?

Because it's the standard language of electrical circuits, understood worldwide. I can understand a diagram like that instantly, whereas something you've created yourself, with your own conventions and symbols, not so much.

R.