Gibson have dumped cakewalk

What's Hot
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/11/21/gibson-ceases-development-of-cakewalk-products/

A lot of very angry people, I'm glad I ditched sonar years ago.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Eeee there's trouble at t'mill
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuminousLuminous Frets: 210
    Yup...I posted this in the guitar section as Gibson's activities are relevant.
    Luminous said:
    Yup...I posted this in the guitar section as Gibson's activities are relevant.
    I'm sort of not surprised they have done this. But also it's a pretty sad development in their story tho.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I got out when Roland bought Cakewalk.
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    Seems a theme... I moved over years ago, I think after Roland bought them. Never looked back
  • Luminous said:
    I got out when Roland bought Cakewalk.
    I didn’t even realise it wasn’t still owned by Roland until today 
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited November 2017
    Eee lads nay'mind there's a new Tracktion 'art!
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    The king is dead, long live Reaper.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    http://blog.cakewalk.com/cakewalk-announcement/

Almost unbelievably, this is the second long-established multitrack recording program they've killed off! That must be some sort of record in such a niche market.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Wow, thanks for the update. I've used Cakewalk and then Sonar since the mid 90s. However, recently (Im on Platinum) it has got more and more glitchy and tbh its a bit of a pain in the arse. I've always resisted learning another daw as I am a hobbyist, but looks like this might make me do it.

The developers have been a bit of their own worst enemies as its been a glitchy DAW from day one. I've always had vague worries about it packing up.

Recently I've lost 2 projects as its totally remapped all the midi routing without obvious reason.
  • The decision was made to better align with the company’s acquisition strategy that is heavily focused on growth in the global consumer electronics audio business under the Philips brand.

Eeeh, I remember the days when Gibson were a guitar company. :)
    The decision was made to better align with the company’s acquisition strategy that is heavily focused on growth in the global consumer electronics audio business under the Philips brand.

Eeeh, I remember the days when Gibson were a guitar company. :)
    Yeah but expensive posh guitar businesses don't pay for themselves y'know
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Gibson still have an 'acquisition strategy'?

I assume this works along the lines of deliberately becoming too big to be allowed to fail. They're already half a billion dollars in debt and their credit rating and outlook has recently been downgraded again...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Gibson still have an 'acquisition strategy'?

I assume this works along the lines of deliberately becoming too big to be allowed to fail. They're already half a billion dollars in debt and their credit rating and outlook has recently been downgraded again...
    Again again? Credit rating = Teletubbies
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Stuckfast said:

Almost unbelievably, this is the second long-established multitrack recording program they've killed off! That must be some sort of record in such a niche market.
    What was the first?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    guitarfishbay said:

Again again? Credit rating = Teletubbies
    Half a billion in debt and not enough income generated to repay it isn't though. And credit rating does impact that since it will affect the interest rates.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27472
    Separate threads merged and original thread moved to Studio & Recording.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Freebird said:
    Stuckfast said:

What was the first?
    Opcode.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I'm guessing whoever made this decision has an interest in some other similar product, and this is just sweeping up the competition. Sonar's never been any kind of industry standard or choice for professionals really. It's been a relatively competent DAW that squarely sits in the consumer/ home market and done well thanks to the high features/price ratio - in recent years you've got *a lot* of plugs, soft sythns and functionality for your money.

The upgrade paths have been incredible too - I remember back in 2007 buying an old copy of Sonar (maybe sonar 3?) to use the activation code to get the upgrade price to Sonar 7 pro, which was insanely cheap compared to the RRP. Then again, the upgrade cost to Sonar X3 pro was really low.

Didn't go onto the subscription model though, as I've always been cautious of those kind of rolling monthly outgoings. It'll be very interesting to see how people on that plan are treated in the coming months and years - even a couple of weeks ago people were buying a lifetime updates package in a sale, and as of this moment it's still possible to go on Cakewalk's website and buy Sonar without having any indication that it's now a dead product that'll never be developed further.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Be interesting to see if they really do kill it or sell off to management (or somebody else) - original Tracktion developer bought all rights back after Mackie bollocksed it up ended development.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback