Earth problem on a les Paul.

markjmarkj Frets: 914
edited November 2017 in Making & Modding
I have just rewired my les Paul and changed the pickups as well. I have changed the standard wiring to 50's style I have used cts pots, paper in oil caps and quality vintage style wiring. I know how to solder and have taken my time over this project but to my disappointment when played for the first time it has got a hum when my hands are not on any of the metal parts, strings, bridge etc. It gets worse when played through a drive pedal when I'm not touching any of the metal parts. I know this is an earth problem, but is there any part of the circuit I should check first ? Any advice welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72235
    If the hum/buzz stops when you're touching the strings the chances are it's wired correctly - there must at least be a good ground connection from the jack to the tailpiece.

If you've used vintage-style braided cable and it's all soldered to the pot casings and switch frames, it's probably a lack of shielding in the control cavity which is the problem. Although this is how they were wired in the original Les Pauls, it will let in some noise. Some caps can be quite prone to it as well, particularly as in the standard Gibson scheme, neither side of the cap is grounded when the tone control isn't turned fully down. If the caps have the outer foil end marked, make sure that's towards the tone control not the volume control, but it still won't make much difference.

Fully shielding the cavity - and the switch cavity - might be the only way. Also, if the pickups aren't covered then that will be a problem too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Happened to me on my LP Standard. Got my local guitar guru to shield the cavities (including the switch cavity) with copper leaf. This eliminated the buzzing, and all is well.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    edited November 2017
    The wire is vintage style fabric pull back type. I have used this from the toggle switch to the control cavity I expect this to be the problem area. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16642
    markj said:
    The wire is vintage style fabric pull back type. I have used this from the toggle switch to the control cavity I expect this to be the problem area. 
    @icbm has just been talking about this on another thread... even cheap guitars have shielded cable for that run
    markj said:
    Do you mean Gibson-style braided shield cloth wire - or single core Fender-style wire with no shield?

If the latter, that's the problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    markj said:
    Do you mean Gibson-style braided shield cloth wire - or single core Fender-style wire with no shield?

If the latter, that's the problem.
    That's the problem. Single core vintage cloth covered fender style wire. Would I need to replace the wires or would I be able to put copper tape around the 4 wires?
    markj said:

Would I need to replace the wires or would I be able to put copper tape around the 4 wires?
    If you can do it, copper tape will work - it will be quite a pain though. It's probably easier to replace the whole lot with the proper Gibson-style wire to be honest.

That was what I was thinking. Who do you recommend to buy from.
    Allparts do it, although their minimum length is 25ft, which is about five times as much as you need.

This Ebay seller seems to have it in the right length - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLOTH-COVERED-1-7MT-BRAIDED-SHIELDED-PUSH-BACK-WIRE-GIBSON-STYLE-CH14009/201363537009?hash=item2ee233bc71:g:jp0AAOxyBjBTPtGT

Thanks for the link. Just ordered some up. ICBM your a gent.