Fender Play experiences? Also: Black Friday

What's Hot

Not sure where to post this, so feel free to move this if required! :)

Fender has been offering their Fender Play program for a while now and it seems that general reviews are pretty good. It seems to go through all the basics of guitar playing up to a decent level. 

I’m wary the likes of JustinGuitar and AndyGuitar seem to offer a very decent online curriculum for free, and that Fender is a big bad commercial entity, but was curious to hear if anyone has any experience! :) 

I’m tempted to try it out as they have a 50% off Black Friday deal going on (no affiliation) - https://try.fender.com/play/easy-guitar-lessons/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 979
    edited November 2017
    I think @TimmyO tried it out.  It does look interesting especially with the free 30-day trial, but I find that I seem to learn better from magazines, so I haven’t bothered trying it out.

A review here 
    https://www.guitarchalk.com/fender-play-review/
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    Hey Ferdi <waves at @JEPBLEP

I haven't tried the Fender Play site - but from a short look just now it does look pretty well designed for beginner-and-beyond stuff. 

Of the online stuff I *have* used I'm a big fan of Truefire - either their all-access plan that puts a shit-ton of great courses at your beck and call, and they have curated 'learning paths' to string their existing material together into a long-term plan, or the more expensive one-on-one video exchange stuff ( 
    https://truefire.com/private-lessons

If you are feeling committed and bring your own motivation then I think that Truefire offers a wider variety of stuff you can dip into any time (as well as follow a learning path)

If you want all the barriers removing, lots of smaller elements and everything geared toward making the whole process easier, then the Fender Play site looks really good.

If you're not cost-constrained and you want the best tuition and to be held to account (video uploads to your teacher) then the Truefire Private Lessons plans are the thing - both Jeff Sheetz and Jeff McErlain would be 2 I'd say check out there. 

It's probably worth doing the free trail on both Fender and Truefire - one will click more than the other. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ... This might just be my first post but I almost asked the same question as JEPBLEP as my first post.... anyway I thought I'd try it out and see what it had to offer.  I have been playing for years and so was somewhat hesitant but since I'm kicking off a new band in a style i have never really played before it seemed a smart way to get into that style... I can post some experiences when I get a chance to give it a go.  J
  • JEPBLEPJEPBLEP Frets: 188
    Thanks @TimmyO - I love the idea of the Truefire method, but think I should reward myself when I've actually studied for a bit... (full admission: this has already made me research highest fidelity video recording hardware, but that's besides the point)

@Jim-Bob - Did you get in on the Black Friday deal? I did and apparently it's life-time discount, so that's a bonus. I've only watched a couple vids, but it looks like super bite-sized at least for the first level, which is exactly what the doctor ordered! :)

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    I tried it when it first appeared, its all very glossy and professional, nicely filmed and produced, however I think whichever your goto You Tube is, it is likely to present the same info for free, I left after a couple of weeks....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• I think it depends on your best style of learning and your current ability.
    I haven't tried Fender but I am currently using Guitar Tricks and have in the past used Jamplay.
    The trouble with some sites and the likes of youtube which I do use frequently is that whilst there is some great stuff out there there is also plenty of rubbish and bad tutorials as well.
    In my case I tend to flit around from one thing to another and end up going nowhere if I am not careful.
    I have settled on Guitar Tricks for now as it is structured for the beginner and has plenty of good song tutorials as well.
    Jamplay was also great but less structured for beginners.
    I also use Truefire which is fantastic for focused lessons but I am not sure its so great for beginners as you could end up with an unsuitable course and spending lots of money on course after course.

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    My son has a kindle tablet i bought him and i am glad i did. His tablet has lots of free games he can download when he chooses  Everytime the game gets difficult. He just downloads another one. would have cost me a fortune.
    He can play bits of lots but is not very good at any. He has too much choice readily available.
    Maybe paying for a course will make you stick at it when the going gets tough... Like getting your moneys worth! etc. 
    I made the same mistakes with books, bought far too many and skipped more than i learned. Though  Justin guitar would be my choice.

• duotoneduotone Frets: 979
    Am gonna give the 30 day free trial a go.  https://www.fender.com/play

Will let you know how I get on.

• duotone said:
    Am gonna give the 30 day free trial a go.  https://www.fender.com/play

Will let you know how I get on.

Evening, did you get the free trial in the end? Interested to know what you thought of it.