Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson CEO rumours

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchman said:

PRS have refused dilute the brand name with cheaper guitars and it seems to be working for them.

Have they? PRS himself is very proud of the SE range, they've started putting the signature on the headstock of the SE range, haven't they? Or are we talking about something completely different? Sorry.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    Their best bet would be to move lower end guitars to the Epiphone Factory, but with US parts and higher quality wood. Sort of like the S2 range, but priced around £1k

Then they need to make a US Standard Range for around than £1.5k and above that they can have higher end stuff priced at whatever insane price they want. 

I'm not sure there would be a lot of profit in a nitro finished US Standard range at a £1.5k price point.  The Fender American Pro guitars seem to retail around £1400, and they aren't nitro finished, and they are a much simpler build.  Realistically you would have to be around the £2k point on those to make them worthwhile.

I think they would be better upping the spec slightly and putting a long tenon neck joint and pricing them around £2.5k.  It would still be cheaper than a new PRS.  It would also make a real distinction between a LP Studio and LP Standard.

But that is just the retail price, I think the American Pro probably has quite a high markup. Also with Modern CNC, the only extra steps are gluing the top and the neck. 

They need to consider cutting their profit margins to drive up sales numbers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    underdog said:
    Their best bet would be to move lower end guitars to the Epiphone Factory, but with US parts and higher quality wood. Sort of like the S2 range, but priced around £1k

Then they need to make a US Standard Range for around than £1.5k and above that they can have higher end stuff priced at whatever insane price they want. 

From a customer point of view I'd hate to see them move their lower models offshore. The big success for me the past 5 years for Gibson has been the LPJ, tribute, satin models.
    How much profit can they be making on those though?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Speaking as a fairly new player:
    * the Gibson line up is utterly baffling
    * I bought a new PRS, it was a dumb thing to do as I lost 30% when I carried out the shop (like cars) and the second market is saturated because guitars, essentially, don't wear out (unlike cars!).

I can't see myself every buying new again, I bet that's a typical pattern for many people, so whoever's new at Gibson has to have a serious rethink. Fender are barking up the right tree by offering tuition aimed at reducing the huge attrition rate of new players.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    do you guys who have been playing a while ever buy new? really?
  • pmbomb said:
    All my Gibbos are s/h. I own 2 Yamahas bought new. Next intended purchase is another Gibbo, most likely s/h.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    pmbomb said:
    Yep. All the time. Amps, pedals & guitars. At least I know I can get what I want, when I want it rather than wait on the off chance something I want will turn up on the used market. 

Of of course I still love scoring a bargain used toy now and again!

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    pmbomb said:
    yep. if something is interesting it's interesting. I like a deal mind you...
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    pmbomb said:
    I've never bought anything second hand, guitar wise. I'm left handed. There is no second hand market.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2017
    pmbomb said:

Yes

My current electrics are 5 I bought new, and 2 second hand.  The ratio has been different in the past with more second hand.

My bass was second hand.  My acoustics were bought new.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    underdog said:

From a customer point of view I'd hate to see them move their lower models offshore. 
    All Gibson guitars are all made offshore, aren't they?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Gibson just make way too many guitars, with way too many options in a confusing naming structure.

Fender do it as well. Doesn't excuse it though
    Not really, at least not to the same extent. Gibson is a total nightmare. So many changes from year to year.
  • @Teetonetal I agree Gibson's product range and nomenclature is confusing but I've also seen huge numbers of strats and wouldn't know where to start in picking one, should I wish to do so.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited November 2017
    pmbomb said:
    Yes depends what it is. When Fender brought the Kotzen Strat into the UK. They priced it £300 below what they sell for in Japan. So it was cheaper than a grey import used one. I literally ran to GuitarGuitar on Monday morning. 

If I bond with a guitar, I bond with it. So some of mine are bought used. Some new. It’s a mix. 
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1677
    I am ignorant. If Gibson did go to the wall, what happens to their patents?

Is it open season for open book headstocks? Or are they never seen again?

Although I would assume the brand is too big not to carry on in some form regardless.

DannyP said:

Although I would assume the brand is too big not to carry on in some form regardless.

That's copyright/trademark rather than patent.  A patent expires after 25 years anyway.

If they go to the wall, the receiver that is appointed would sell off the assets to try to pay back the creditors (with what is left after the receiver takes a big fat fee).   Any trademarks/copyrights would be intellectual property that would be sold off.  Whoever bought them would then have the right to make Gibson branded guitars with the Gibson headstock.

• pmbomb said:
    Yeah, sometimes.

I bought my first SG new, when they first started doing the faded SG Specials. And I got my Dove new, because it was the best dreadnought in the shop. Id happily do that again if the right guitar presented itself. 

But ive bought 4 used and that’s generally my first port of call when looking.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DannyP said:

They won't disappear. They'll file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, take 6 months to restructure (i.e. sell most of the subsidiaries) default on a big chunk of their debt, and be bought out for $1 by someone else. The resulting company would have a good chance of becoming a smaller, but successful company, if managed properly.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited November 2017
    crunchman said:
    underdog said:

From a customer point of view I'd hate to see them move their lower models offshore. The big success for me the past 5 years for Gibson has been the LPJ, tribute, satin models.
    How much profit can they be making on those though?

Like I said, from a customer point of view I'd hate them to stop. Also they can serve as a gateway guitar for people, so they aspire to owning that R9 or whatever.
  • humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    Everyone's got their opinion on what Gibson needs to do and we're probably all right to some extent.

Ditching the yearly models idea would be a great first step... they should realise noone really wants a "modern" guitar - most people who want to make "modern" music with every effect pedal under the sun still like using basic vintage instruments. Maybe do the odd model with something like a sustainer in (see the new Fender Radiohead bloke guitar), but that's about it.

Start making the models that people actually like at proper price points (why is the upcoming 2018 SG Junior the same price as an SG Standard?), ditch the myriad of Studio, Faded, Tribute options and just have your cheap Les Paul as the same type as a traditional/standard, but make it in Japan or Korea. Basically what Fender do with Mexico.