Wiring diagram for neck and middle PU in pos. 3 on a strat?...

What's Hot
Hi, does anyone have a wiring diagram for neck and middle pickup together on position 3 of a strat using a super Switch? Trawling the interweb I only seem to find ones with push/pull or toggle switches etc. It’s a bonus if it’s a HSS diagram with the humbucker split in that position as well but not a big deal as I can probably work that bit out....
many thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    You can now get 6-way strat switches that add the neck/bridge option... but since you want to split the humbucker I would probably still go superswitch.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    It's easy to work out if you look carefully at how the Superswitch works. The four end terminals are the rotors, and each bank of five is what they're connected to as the switch moves. Move the switch and watch what happens.

Connect two of the rotors to the volume control - now you can select either one or two pickups in any switch position.

Connect the third rotor to the coil split connection for the humbucker. Now you can select whether it's split in any position, and depending on whether you connect it to ground or to the volume control, which coil remains on.

So you could have the bridge-side coil plus the middle pickup in position 4 (more like a Strat) and the neck-side coil in position 3 (more like a Tele) if you want. If the middle and neck pickups are RWRP you could also make both these sounds hum-cancelling, if you want.

Does any of that make sense? :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Makes sense to me but, then, it would. ;)

It is possible to get the OP's required pickup selections from an Oak Grigsby switch but with two drawbacks.

Firstly, it is not possible to automate the coil split on the humbucker. Secondly, it is not possible for any individual tone control to act on two pickups unless it acts on all three.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBM said:
    It's easy to work out if you look carefully at how the Superswitch works. The four end terminals are the rotors, and each bank of five is what they're connected to as the switch moves. Move the switch and watch what happens.

Connect two of the rotors to the volume control - now you can select either one or two pickups in any switch position.

Connect the third rotor to the coil split connection for the humbucker. Now you can select whether it's split in any position, and depending on whether you connect it to ground or to the volume control, which coil remains on.

So you could have the bridge-side coil plus the middle pickup in position 4 (more like a Strat) and the neck-side coil in position 3 (more like a Tele) if you want. If the middle and neck pickups are RWRP you could also make both these sounds hum-cancelling, if you want.

Does any of that make sense? :)
    Thanks, yeah that does make some sense- I’m not mega technically minded but can usually follow the diagrams ok. I’ll keep digesting it and hopefully it’ll make more sense when I have it front of me. Thanks!
  • Makes sense to me but, then, it would. ;)

It is possible to get the OP's required pickup selections from an Oak Grigsby switch but with two drawbacks.

Firstly, it is not possible to automate the coil split on the humbucker. Secondly, it is not possible for any individual tone control to act on two pickups unless it acts on all three.

I’m a little lost there, sorry...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    stefjudd said:

Thanks, yeah that does make some sense- I’m not mega technically minded but can usually follow the diagrams ok. I’ll keep digesting it and hopefully it’ll make more sense when I have it front of me. Thanks!
    Great :).

I've always found it an advantage to look at how the switches work, then it becomes obvious how you need to connect them, at least with a fairly simple scheme like this. Once you see it that way, you can work out how to wire it without needing to blindly follow a diagram - which are sometimes wrong! (Not so much with Superswitches, but there are some models of 3- and 5-way switches with the contacts in a different order, which causes much frustration…)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    stefjudd said:

Great :).

I've always found it an advantage to look at how the switches work, then it becomes obvious how you need to connect them, at least with a fairly simple scheme like this. Once you see it that way, you can work out how to wire it without needing to blindly follow a diagram - which are sometimes wrong! (Not so much with Superswitches, but there are some models of 3- and 5-way switches with the contacts in a different order, which causes much frustration…)
    Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go!