Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Moviprep and sigmoidoscopy....

What's Hot
Yeah, not a nice subject. If you don't know what it is, don't google it when eating.

I've got to go and have a sigmoidoscopy tomorrow.... which means I have to take Moviprep tonight. A whole litre of sh!t-juice, basically, and then another litre in the morning. To say I'm dreading the whole thing is an understatement.

So, fellow fretboarders, has anyone else been lucky enough to have moviprep and / or a sigmoidoscopy? How was it? Thankfully I'll be sedated during the procedure itself, but I'm more concerned about the 'bowel cleansing' tonight.... not even thought about the results from the investigation, so hopefully it'll be all-clear.

(Literally!).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    edited November 2017
    My Dad has had this. He said the most eventful part was the moviprep. Basically, don't leave close proximity to a bog for hours. He said he has never shat like that in his life. Apparently he shat repeatedly for hours. Left him exhausted!

For once in your life, you will be able to say with absolute conviction and truth: I am not full of shit.

Said the scope was fine, and that the farting afterwards was of Olympic standard as they fill your bowel with air.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Why a sigmodoiscopy and not a full colonoscopy? Sheena got the first one but a full colonoscopy would have detected her cancer and saved her life.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2394
    Why a sigmodoiscopy and not a full colonoscopy? Sheena got the first one but a full colonoscopy would have detected her cancer and saved her life.
    I'm guessing it's down to where the pain was - lower left side, which actually went while I was on a laxative. I'll ask about a full colonoscopy when I'm there - see if they can 'upgrade' me seeing as I'll be sedated anyway....
  • Sedation - good call..!! Let us know how it goes.
    Cheers :) Just spoke to them about getting an 'upgrade' to a colonoscopy - they said to ask the nurses tomorrow. guess it's worth it while I'm there and high as a kite!

Looking forward to the olympic wind....!
  • drink nothing but water today, it'll make it easier.  
    drink nothing but water today, it'll make it easier.  
    D'oh - already had a couple of coffees and a squash! Thanks though - duly noted!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31572
    I had exactly that procedure, it was painful in parts but sedation would've been overkill IMO.

The Moviprep instructions weren't particularly accurate in my case, I took the first lot at 6pm and nothing happened until midnight, after which I spent nearly the whole night on the bog. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    I had exactly that procedure, it was painful in parts but sedation would've been overkill IMO.

The Moviprep instructions weren't particularly accurate in my case, I took the first lot at 6pm and nothing happened until midnight, after which I spent nearly the whole night on the bog. 
    Cheers - sedation was offered, so I thought 'why not?' - had heard from others that they would have taken it if available.

Yeah, not looking forward to Moviprep - mine says to take it at 8pm. Did it make you sick or anything? That's the thing I'm most concerned about....!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    No vomiting, tastes lite watery orange squash, but in the back end KAAABOOOOOOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jalapeno said:
    No vomiting, tastes lite watery orange squash, but in the back end KAAABOOOOOOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's OK, I can deal with the rear-end explosions.....!

(My toilet, however, is going to take one hell of a beating).
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Heed the advice about vaseline, or use something moist! Colonoscopy with sedation and gas and during - I was quite cheerful about the whole thing. Smile for the auxillary(?) afterwards got me extra biscuits.
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
    FatPete said:
    Heed the advice about vaseline, or use something moist! Colonoscopy with sedation and gas and during - I was quite cheerful about the whole thing. Smile for the auxillary(?) afterwards got me extra biscuits.
    Got 3 packs of flushable Andrex moist wipes at the ready :)
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

I had a colonoscopy after a suspected acute episode of diverticulitis that put me in hospital on IV antibiotics etc.  

The Moviprep worked remarkably quickly on me, took the first lot and about 20 minutes later strapped to the bog for about two hours, was "running clear" by the end of that, but that was it for me, other than a bit of cramp during the night.   I opted not to take sedation, but when he turned the first corner, it became very painful as that's where the main patch of diverticulitis was, so they pumped in the sedation and I don't remember anything until being back in the ward about 30 minutes later and the comedy farting began .. (they pump you full of air during the procedure). 

All in, it wasn't that bad,  3 patches of diverticulitis found, but no ulceration which was good news.  Due for a check-up next year.

• yup just a last month had the Moviprep

fuck me that stuff is harsh ! 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31572
    FarleyUK said:
    p90fool said:

Cheers - sedation was offered, so I thought 'why not?' - had heard from others that they would have taken it if available.

Yeah, not looking forward to Moviprep - mine says to take it at 8pm. Did it make you sick or anything? That's the thing I'm most concerned about....!
    Not sick, but it's exhausting, as I guess anything poisonous enough to make the world fall out of your bottom is. 

The whole experience was fine to be fair, the staff were excellent at Brecon Hospital. It was slightly disconcerting at first to walk into a room with four women you knew by sight, but we had a good laugh and they made it easy, even blobbing the lube on the dish into a smiley face :) 

It is knackering though, and took me a couple of days to feel right again. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Movieprep is nothing to worry about. You'll just be shitting water. Often.....

Sigmoidoscopy doesn't go round the first bend I think so they don't have to blow you up with as much gas. Colonoscopy goes all the way to the end and in order to steer the probe they inject gas to inflate the colon and it's this that causes the pain. I found,  and I've had a few, that the pain is caused by inflating the colon at the junction with the small bowel or maybe the small bowel itself. If you are not sedated you can apply pressure in the appendix area and this helps to stop the gas inflating this area. The pain you will feel is a dull ache rather than sharp and can get quite intense but it doesn't last for long. 

Bear in mind you will fart something rotten whilst the procedure is being carried out, don't worry the nurses are used to it, and it does help release the gas pressure.

The downside of having the sedative, and it's not that effective IME, is that they will not let you leave for quite a while and you cannot drive yourself. 

If they only do a sigmoidoscopy and you are worried that they are not inspecting the whole bowel you can ask for a barium enema to eliminate any other possible problem areas. They had to do that for me when the crap foreign doctor couldn't get the probe round the first bend, blamed me for being too strong and resisting!! Twat. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    hywelg said:
    Movieprep is nothing to worry about. You'll just be shitting water. Often.....

Sigmoidoscopy doesn't go round the first bend I think so they don't have to blow you up with as much gas. Colonoscopy goes all the way to the end and in order to steer the probe they inject gas to inflate the colon and it's this that causes the pain. I found,  and I've had a few, that the pain is caused by inflating the colon at the junction with the small bowel or maybe the small bowel itself. If you are not sedated you can apply pressure in the appendix area and this helps to stop the gas inflating this area. The pain you will feel is a dull ache rather than sharp and can get quite intense but it doesn't last for long. 

Bear in mind you will fart something rotten whilst the procedure is being carried out, don't worry the nurses are used to it, and it does help release the gas pressure.

The downside of having the sedative, and it's not that effective IME, is that they will not let you leave for quite a while and you cannot drive yourself. 

If they only do a sigmoidoscopy and you are worried that they are not inspecting the whole bowel you can ask for a barium enema to eliminate any other possible problem areas. They had to do that for me when the crap foreign doctor couldn't get the probe round the first bend, blamed me for being too strong and resisting!! Twat. 

Cheers mate, very informative. The girlfriend is aware she'll need to collect me - the hospital is only a mile away as well, so that's good.

Will keep it in mind about the barium enema, just in case!
  • yeah the gas does make you fart, i was lying to the trolley chatting away to a rather nice looking nurse when i had the biggest fart, she just smiled and said its fine everyone does it. The sedative does leave you slightly out there, my mate came to pick me up and pissed himself laughing at me smiling away :-) 

i had some samples taken at the same time so was shitting some blood next day but apart from that all was well. 

oh and going up da bum isnt so bad, i had the down the throat at the same time, thats MUCH worse 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    yeah the gas does make you fart, i was lying to the trolley chatting away to a rather nice looking nurse when i had the biggest fart, she just smiled and said its fine everyone does it. The sedative does leave you slightly out there, my mate came to pick me up and pissed himself laughing at me smiling away :-) 

i had some samples taken at the same time so was shitting some blood next day but apart from that all was well. 

oh and going up da bum isnt so bad, i had the down the throat at the same time, thats MUCH worse 
    Hope they rinsed the camera first ! :o
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom