Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guns n Roses Rig Rundown

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
edited November 2017 in Guitar

Very cool RR, even if you’re not a GnR fan it’s worth watching for all the gear.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Richard Fortus is the most interesting bit, he is such an ace guitarist and has killer tone. I love those Leo Scala guitars with the vent in the top, so cool.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I'm 20 mins in. I'm the rig equivalent of star struck 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Just watching this, was going to post it in case @thomasross20 had missed it... 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It would have been cool if Slash was on hand to give the viewers of this particular Rig Rundown a few riffs and licks on his guitars and talk about his favourite tones over the years.

I remember, back in 1992, I got Use Your Illusion II on CD after my friend at school would bring it in on his Walkman to listen to.  I recall the first time I heard Locomotive thinking that I'd never heard such a static sounding riff in rock music before.  UYIII is my favourite GnR album, with Appetite coming a respectable second place.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Ooh I love Rig Rundowns and this'll be a great watch I'm sure, thanks for posting this!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited November 2017
    It would have been cool if Slash was on hand to give the viewers of this particular Rig Rundown a few riffs and licks on his guitars and talk about his favourite tones over the years.

I remember, back in 1992, I got Use Your Illusion II on CD after my friend at school would bring it in on his Walkman to listen to.  I recall the first time I heard Locomotive thinking that I'd never heard such a static sounding riff in rock music before.  UYIII is my favourite GnR album, with Appetite coming a respectable second place.

The riff from locomotive is my favourite piece of guitar ever, it's absolutely beautiful, just chunky and relentless but rhythmic too.

Though I have to rate appetite as their best album, had they cut out the cover versions, left off the Axl wank fests and allowed no song to be over 5 mins long then they could have made UYI a single album of 12 or so tracks to rival appetite.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:
    It would have been cool if Slash was on hand to give the viewers of this particular Rig Rundown a few riffs and licks on his guitars and talk about his favourite tones over the years.

The riff from locomotive is my favourite piece of guitar ever, it's absolutely beautiful, just chunky and relentless but rhythmic too.

Though I have to rate appetite as their best album, had they cut out the cover versions, left off the Axl wank fests and allowed no song to be over 5 mins long then they could have made UI a single album to rival appetite.
    Yeah the riff from Locomotive is massive sounding.  One of the GnR's greatest ever riffs and one of the under appreciated gems in their back catalogue.
  • Just watching this, was going to post it in case @thomasross20 had missed it... 
    Yep, missed it - appreciate you pointing this out to me. Will definitely watch later...
  • Thanks for the heads up. This is one for the big screen so will watch on the TV
  • I'm not usually into hour-long videos like this but this is pretty good. 
    Just taking a break at 24 mins in. Funny they refer to Slash as "him" without saying his name!
    Absolutely love Slash's playing. I really do. Appeals to me MUCH more than anything a lot of the "wizards" do.
    Just taking a break at 24 mins in. Funny they refer to Slash as "him" without saying his name!
    Absolutely love Slash's playing. I really do. Appeals to me MUCH more than anything a lot of the "wizards" do.
    They probably refer to Slash as "him" because he's such an idol.  
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    I can still remember my disappointment when the UTI albums came out. Such indulgence and so far from the classic Appetite album, which I still love to this day. You could be mine and perhaps, Civil War, are the only decent songs IMO.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    edited November 2017
    Here they are at their peak IMO. I remember being blown away by this gig back in the day. Essential viewing for Guns fans.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good gig ^^^^.  I haven't watched that in years so I'll keep it for tonight and it will give me something to watch.
    They probably refer to Slash as "him" because he's such an idol.  
    I completely agree. 
    Honestly, what a guy. I'm being serious.
  • I love Appetite but I think both UYI albums are outstanding. Only a couple of naff songs between them 

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited November 2017
    You know what. I've been depressed as f*&^ lately after Sheena has passed away. 
    However this video and that gig video (which I've seen before and is excellent)... started to ignite something in me again. I've not touched the guitar since she passed away but I've had nothing to do (just feel hollow and don't know what to do with myself) and I remember how much having something like the guitar meant to me. Something nobody else can touch. Nothing to do with earning money. Just playing for yourself, igniting a passion - love it. Hopefully get more into it. Will watch the rest of the gear video later!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited November 2017
    Lebarque said:
    I can still remember my disappointment when the UTI albums came out. Such indulgence and so far from the classic Appetite album, which I still love to this day. You could be mine and perhaps, Civil War, are the only decent songs IMO.

I think one record that included

Civil War
    You could be mine
    Don't damn me
    Locomotive
    Estranged (shortened)
    Coma (shortened)
    November rain (shortened)
    Don't Cry (just one version)
    Breakdown (without the dumb speach and screeching that hides the awesome guitar solo behind it)
    Get in ring (just for the opening solo)
    Double talking Jive

It could have been a great album.
  • Let’s not forget ‘Lies’, love that record, especially the acoustic tracks, a really cool thing to release that after Appetite.
  • What was the actual difference in the don't cry versions?