Gary Barlow Ticket Rant

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1746

My wife is a massive fan of Gary Barlow and as such she wanted to get tickets to see him on his next tour.

Last lot of tickets sold out in seconds so they've added new dates with the tickets going on sale at 09:30am. So here I am at 09:30 waiting for the tickets to go on sale. I'm in straight away and other than the crazy expensive VIP tickets there's 9 main tickets left for my chosen venue. I clock on two to buy and it tells me I can't buy two tickets as it will leave one seat on it's own (never seen this before). SO I think ok i'll buy three and a mate of hers will no doubt buy one from me.

By this time all of the tickets have now gone - this entire thought process and actions on the website have taken less than a minute. so still at 09:30am all of the tickets have been sold - but you can bet they're already on tout sites for ridiculously inflated prices.

I really don't understand how this works - is there really thousands of people queued up online for each venue for tickets and the website has the ability to sell them all in less than a minute?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    It's a bit rubbish. I think that the govt should look into the whole ticket resale thing.

On the plus side, you don't have to go see Gary Barlow. Unfortunately Cliff Richard wasn't as popular as Mr Barlow, we got tickets ..... 5 times .....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The pond life ticket sites get thousands reserved for them before the actual sale starts. Gotta protect the profits of these despicable companies at all costs. This has been discussed in parliament many times but they won't do anything. Unless and until they limit resale to just returns at face value, with purchasers details on the tickets, nothing will change. The whole practice is abhorrent and the reason I can't be arsed to go to gigs currently. That and the extra costs snuck on to the bill.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • It's funny how all these stories are from super-popular acts (Peter Kay last week). You don't hear about Robin Trower fans struggling to get tickets. It's not that his popularity is waning, it's because his appeal is becoming more selective ;) Gary must be annoyed he's paying out all that extra tax now... so it's not all bad.

Unfortunately until people stop turning to the re-sellers it won't stop. People are willing to pay over the odds so it will continue to work for them. It's dead annoying. I've stopped going to the bigger gigs because of this. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Yup, the whole ticket sites thing has now pissed me off to the point i just cant be arsed anymore. Go online for tickets as soon as they go on sale and they are all gone yet Viagogo and cunts like that have tickets on sale straight away. 
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Was the same with John Mayer - ticketmaster ‘sold out’ in seconds yet hundreds of tickets on the resale site owned by...ticketmaster. 

Honestly don’t know how they can get away with it, despicable practice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Eddie Vedder the same. As i said its actually put me off gigs now, i have Mark Lanegan in the Church in Leeds in a couple of weeks which should be good, but for  bigger artists i just cant be arsed lining these parastic cunts pockets. Its a shambles and the Government do sod all about it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I paid £90 each for two tickets to see Marilyn Manson, and that was not long after they went on sale. SIckening, but I've always wanted to go to one of his shows
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited November 2017
    It's funny how all these stories are from super-popular acts (Peter Kay last week). You don't hear about Robin Trower fans struggling to get tickets. It's not that his popularity is waning, it's because his appeal is becoming more selective Gary must be annoyed he's paying out all that extra tax now... so it's not all bad.

Unfortunately until people stop turning to the re-sellers it won't stop. People are willing to pay over the odds so it will continue to work for them. It's dead annoying. I've stopped going to the bigger gigs because of this. 
    Sometimes it's worth looking on the reseller sites last minute.  I got tickets for the NFL game at Twickenham last month for about half of face value.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Eddie Vedder the same. As i said its actually put me off gigs now, i have Mark Lanegan in the Church in Leeds in a couple of weeks which should be good, but for  bigger artists i just cant be arsed lining these parastic cunts pockets. Its a shambles and the Government do sod all about it 

I learned a valuable lesson when I missed out on Eddie Vedder tickets on Ticketmaster. As you said Ticketmaster had sold out in seconds, yet I got tickets direct from the venue an hour later. So now I do the ticketmaster dance while the wife goes directly to the venue's site, and we see who wins the race.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Think of it as a blessing in disguise  ;)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Snap said:
    I paid £90 each for two tickets to see Marilyn Manson, and that was not long after they went on sale. SIckening, but I've always wanted to go to one of his shows

Oh man the 2000 tour to support Holywood was the best of his I'd ever been to. He was at the top of his game then plus John 5 was playing guitar for him.

Barlow tickets now sorted - had to pay £10 on top of face value but I have them and therefore will have a happy wife.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    It's funny how all these stories are from super-popular acts (Peter Kay last week). You don't hear about Robin Trower fans struggling to get tickets. It's not that his popularity is waning, it's because his appeal is becoming more selective ;) Gary must be annoyed he's paying out all that extra tax now... so it's not all bad.

You a fan? Mate and myself had tickets to see the Islington gig but it's been postponed due to him having kidney problems. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Gary Barlow?
    I'd tell her to get her own bloody tickets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    edited November 2017
    Iron Maiden did something about this last tour, they did it ticketless - your ticket was the credit/debit card that you paid on. Was swiped at the venue and that was it for your party.
    Touts couldn't buy up huge amounts as they couldn't physically sell them on. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    It's funny how all these stories are from super-popular acts (Peter Kay last week). You don't hear about Robin Trower fans struggling to get tickets. It's not that his popularity is waning, it's because his appeal is becoming more selective ;) Gary must be annoyed he's paying out all that extra tax now... so it's not all bad.

We, somehow, ended up with 12 tickets (6 tickets to two different dates) for Peter Kay. 

One lot from the original on sale date last week and one from the extra dates that went on sale on Tues (or wed) - granted those are for June 2019, but still managed to get tickets (face value) 30 mins+ after they went on sale. 
  • LuttiS said:
    Iron Maiden did something about this last tour, they did it ticketless - your ticket was the credit/debit card that you paid on. Was swiped at the venue and that was it for your party.
    Touts couldn't buy up huge amounts as they couldn't physically sell them on. 
    Same again for next summer. They reckon Book of Souls tour only had a handful of dodgy ticket resales not spotted and cancelled...