Old Stock BFS

What's Hot
GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
in Bass tFB Trader
@Bridgehouse had a look through the wood store as I seem to remember I had some stingray basses part built, thought you might like to have a look. There are necks to go with the two bodies, but there are only glued up, so I didn't bother with a photo.The 5 string stingray, neck and body are going very cheap, it's a wide neck, even by 5 string standards, the bass is 35 inch scale.

PS don't look two the P- basses they are already sold.

There is still a fair amount of work to do on the bodies as you can see, the necks for them are both maple/maple. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Cor. One of those musicman 4's is tempting. 

What sort of work still needs doing? 

I am tempted to try a Stingray but put some sort of wacky humbucker in and see what happens - keep it passive but go for a higher output so it doesn't need the Preamp. Maybe even a mudbucker style. Hmmm...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader
    All the work will be completed by me. No rush on taking a decision I won't be doing any work on them till after Christmas.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

GSPBASSES said:
    All the work will be completed by me. No rush on taking a decision I won't be doing any work on them till after Christmas.
    Ahah, ok ;)

Well having a browse around, I could do one with the Kent Armstrong pickup, which can run passive only, with a series/parallel switch to get some tonal variation. 

I will have a think today and get and get back to you. Most tempting. Might do a bright lurid green stain on it and go for the proper MM vibe.. *thinks*
    Ah sod it, put me down for the one on the left so I can use a standard control plate and run with no pickguard!

Anyone fancy doing the other one so we could run a parallel "build a Stingray" challenge? ;)
    @stimpsonslostson - how about a Stingray project? ;)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited November 2017
    Long shot but sperate from your BF sale I'm after a fretless 5 string with a regular stingray width neck, pao ferro or ebony variant lined board.... any free time next year for something like that?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    Anyone fancy doing the other one so we could run a parallel "build a Stingray" challenge? ;)
    I'm slightly tempted but only in a four stringer. Prices would help with the decision process.

TBH, I am more interested in the Squigglecaster in the guitar clearance thread.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27426
    I'm going to ask a probably dumb question ...

On the body for the 5-string, you've got a little slot for access to the truss rod.  But not on any of the other bodies.

Why is that?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:

On the body for the 5-string, you've got a little slot for access to the truss rod.  But not on any of the other bodies.

Why is that?
    The 4 string necks are hewn from granite. Neck dive is a bit dodgy on them tho..

(I suspect that is some of the work required)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

Why is that?

The scratch plate I used originally had a matching cut out in it. I used to do the same little cut out in Jazz basses and P basses, but you couldn't buy the scratch plate to match.

I was thinking of modding my body to add the little cut-out slot.  

Firstly because I thought it might be helpful for easier truss rod tweakery.

Secondly because I'm not using a full scratchplate, the top edge of the end of the truss rod is visible above the top of the body.  So, I thought maybe I'd turn it into a feature with a cut-out.
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    I was thinking of modding my body to add the little cut-out slot.  

Firstly because I thought it might be helpful for easier truss rod tweakery.

Secondly because I'm not using a full scratchplate, the top edge of the end of the truss rod is visible above the top of the body.  So, I thought maybe I'd turn it into a feature with a cut-out.
    I use a round nose half inch cutter freehand, quite an easy job if you got a steady hand. If not make up a little jig.

I've got some little powered carving tools which'd probably do the job too - and slower than a router so less risk of a slip.
  • @stimpsonslostson - how about a Stingray project? ;)
    Why would you do this to me? I'm being SO good- I'm down to two guitars.
    VERY tempted. How much are we looking at? I really enjoyed building my last partscaster & need a new project. 

... Trots off to ebay to research parts prices...

dammit. 
    @stimpsonslostson - how about a Stingray project? ;)
    Why would you do this to me? I'm being SO good- I'm down to two guitars.
    VERY tempted. How much are we looking at? I really enjoyed building my last partscaster & need a new project. 

... Trots off to ebay to research parts prices...

dammit. 
    Dunno. I agreed to buy the one on the left and I don't even know how much yet :D 

@GSPBASSES ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Its (a) affordable, and (b) a bargain.

The rest is just some numbers.
    TTony said:
    Its (a) affordable, and (b) a bargain.

The rest is just some numbers.
    Yeah, I know.. but I showed Mrs B the pic and said "look! New year project!"

She said, "ooo, nice! How much?"

"Er, I Er, not sure Er.."

After all the times you must have been asked that question, and that's the best answer you could come up with?

Poor.
    ;)

Next time, try ...
    "Wow - have you just had your hair done", or
    "You've lost weight again, haven't you", or
    "I thought we'd go to XXX (enter name of favourite pub/restaurant) tonight", or

(I've got more if you need them.  Though they've never worked for me, so no guarantees).
    TTony said:

After all the times you must have been asked that question, and that's the best answer you could come up with?

Poor.
    ;)

Next time, try ...
    "Wow - have you just had your hair done", or
    "You've lost weight again, haven't you", or
    "I thought we'd go to XXX (enter name of favourite pub/restaurant) tonight", or

(I've got more if you need them.  Though they've never worked for me, so no guarantees).
    Mrs B is Scottish. She also lived in S Africa for 20 years. She invented the patented female radar that spots when you are trying to mug her off.

My tactics are:

- Agreed to drive her and a dog to a rescue tomorrow morning 
    - Put a new fence up today
    - Bought her a new coat last weekend so she has a warm coat for the trip to Germany to go to the market with her mate (which I also paid for)

She has acquiesced on the price and said "that's nice dear, it will keep you from getting under my feet"

Which is clearly a man-win as she sees it as a positive thing...