Dash Cam; front and rear - your thoughts ??

What's Hot
HI all,
Due to being involved in the car accident recently (non-fault), and due to covering quite a lot miles as business travel etc. started to think about dash cam.

I need something which is:
- not too expensive but don't want any cheap cr*p;
- is good at night;
- have fairly wide angle;
- constant recording (overlapping)
- small enough to hide behind the mirror;

I need front and rear, so maybe some packages ??

What do you recommend guys ?
Any good deals out there as its Black Friday (dont get it personally but maybe there are some good offers)

Cheers,

Chris 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gjonesygjonesy Frets: 145
    maybe check with your insurer, you may get a discount on your premium if you use one that they approve
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    edited November 2017
    Kinioo said:
    - is good at night;
    - small enough to hide behind the mirror;...

I've been using a Transcend.  (Personally, I've got the 200 -- and £80 now is cheaper than what I paid).
    The image quality is stunning and it ticks all the boxes you've mentioned.  Day/ night.
    It won't fit behind your mirror but I've used a suction mount from Day 1 -- basically the time it takes to stick it to your screen is less than 5 seconds; similar to take it off and hide it in the glove box.*

This dash cam has already saved my arse once.  Worth its cost for that alone.  Not the cheapest but it works day in day out.
    PS I use a 32Gb card which gives you about 5 hours before overlapping.

Hope that helps.
    And if I wanted a rear view one I'd just get another one of these.  They're independent so the data just gets stored on the card.

*cos no one would ever look there!
  • KiniooKinioo Frets: 19
    Grunfeld said:
    Kinioo said:
    - is good at night;
    - small enough to hide behind the mirror;...

I've been using a Transcend.  (Personally, I've got the 200 -- and £80 now is cheaper than what I paid).
    The image quality is stunning and it ticks all the boxes you've mentioned.  Day/ night.
    It won't fit behind your mirror but I've used a suction mount from Day 1 -- basically the time it takes to stick it to your screen is less than 5 seconds; similar to take it off and hide it in the glove box.*

This dash cam has already saved my arse once.  Worth its cost for that alone.  Not the cheapest but it works day in day out.
    PS I use a 32Gb card which gives you about 5 hours before overlapping.

Hope that helps.
    And if I wanted a rear view one I'd just get another one of these.  They're independent so the data just gets stored on the card.

*cos no one would ever look there!
    Thanks Grunfeld I will look into it - 80quid not bad.

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    I’ve got a nextbase, 320g.. I think. 

It loops, has gps logging the journey, not that i ever use it, full hd, timestamps and everything. 

Its good and has served me well.. but the inbuilt battery is kak. I left it attached a few days in the summer and that was enough to kill it dead. It still worked, as I have it hardwired in, but when I shut the ignition off, it would just die insantly, thus not saving the final 3 minute segment of video.. which is most likely to be the only part you’d want! 

Halfords replaced it easy enough, but a year later I’m seeing signs that its internal battery is going again.. so maybe they arent the best.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited November 2017
    On London Live News lasT WEEK THEY HAD A REPORT THAT IS A MASSIVE INCREASE IN CAR BREAK INS AND THAT THE POILICE SAY 90% are unsolvable. They will only investigate too if you have any cctv evidence from dash cams or other.

So got me thinking: Dash Cam theft due to soar in coming months...!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    57Deluxe said:
    On London Live News lasT WEEK THEY HAD A REPORT THAT IS A MASSIVE INCREASE IN CAR BREAK INS AND THAT THE POILICE SAY 90% are unsolvable. They will only investigate too if you have any cctv evidence from dash cams or other.

So got me thinking: Dash Cam theft due to soar in coming months...!
    This is why I have a dashcam dashcam. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom