Recommend some pedals for a pedalboard build?

GodlykepowerGodlykepower Frets: 174
I currently have a Boss GT100 going into a Blackstar HT20 head and cab, connected via the 4 cable method, and I love it, but it can be a faff to make alterations to individual effects quickly, when I’m in the ‘zone.’

I’m only a bedroom/hobby guitar player, but I do like recording stuff, so I don’t need anything amazing, but it’s a hobby, and I can afford fairly decent stuff.

So, if you were building a pedalboard for the first time, what would you put on there to get tones ranging from slightly overdriven Pink Floyd-y type stuff, through Gov’t Mule up to Iron Maiden?

I’ve got some ideas, and I’d love your input (pros/cons/alternatives)

I’ve changed the pre-amp tubes and speaker in my amp, so my clean tone is beautiful, so I’ll be using that a lot.

For boosting that a bit, I was thinking a Hudson Broadcast.
For a more aggressive overdrive, what would you recommend? I see Blues Driver come up often.
I rather like a compressor and was thinking a TC Electronic HyperGravity.
for Delay (where I really like to fiddle, I was thinking Strymon El Capistan.

I’m not really into Wah pedals, so not bothered by one of those.

What reverb pedal would you recommend, or should I just stick with the amps reverb?

I’ve never really loved a chorus effect, but I’d like some sort of modulation to get cool, ambient sounds. I’ve seen some cool videos of Electro Harmonix stuff - organ sounds etc.

Thoughts?

I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    You're going to get a different answer from everybody, but in my view, if you have a decent amount of money to spend, a simple route to the top would be Keeley C4 compressor, Analogman KOT overdrive, Friedman BE-OD distortion, then Strymon Mobius, Timeline and Big Sky for modulation, delay and reverb respectively.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited November 2017
    a distortion pedal?

phaser maybe for modulation.  ehx small stone?

a Hudson Broadcast is not typical of a boost or overdrive
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Definitely get a looper on there. I've used pretty much all the TC Electronic loopers and they have all been really decent. Highly recommend the Dittox2 if you have space
  • Budget-
    OD - Boss Bluesdriver
    Delay - TC Electronic Flashback mini
    Reverb - TC Electronic HOF mini

No budget -
    OD - Analogman KOT
    Delay - Strymon El Capistan
    Reverb - Strymon Flint 

• Yes, a looper is on the cards...I’ve asked the missus for a Ditto X4 for Xmas.
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
  • What kind of music do you play

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• What kind of music do you play
    Like I said above, from Pink Floyd, ambient type stuff, through AC/DC, Classic Rock, Gov’t Mule, up to Iron Maiden.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28032
    Helix. All the effects you'd ever want, and much easier on-the-fly adjustability.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Helix is a good shout and more user friendly than the GT100. Or what about one of the ultra bargainous Fractal FX8’s that crop up from time to time?
  • I did debate a Helix when getting the GT100. I definitely want to go with individual pedals now.

I’m not going to get rid of the Boss, but have a separate pedalboard I can use instead if I feel like it.
  • Its always difficult to recommend things when you have a for sale thread since it just looks like a simple plug. So I'm going to offer two lists, one made up of stuff that I have for sale, and one for things I don't have in a sense of openness:

My items:
    • EP Booster - amazing on cleans and also great for boosting OD
    • Delay - Line6 Echo Park - amazing array of settings to fiddle with, highly thought of and in great condition
    • OD - Suhr Shiba Drive - everything from low OD to a good, sustaining level of drive. Stacks very well with the EP

An impartial list:
    • El Capistan - amazing delay and also has reverb which seems to not be widely known for some reason
    • OD - I'd agree with the Boss Bluesdriver
    • Boost - Suhr Koko Reloaded is simply fantastic and has two modes whilst being a normal sized pedal
    • Modulation - Boss MD500