Laney VC15 V1 or V2?

scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
New one at £299 or older version locally on eBay at £175ish? I prefer newer styling (quite subtle changes) and think they have different reverbs but which is best investment? Alas I can’t claim money no object...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    edited November 2017
    Initially, there was no difference between the v1 and v2 other than styling - later v2 changed to a digital reverb, I think? I have an early v2 and it has spring reverb (and I agree, the styling looks better).

Another point to consider is the speaker - the early v1s had an HH (?) speaker thayt was reportedly pretty awful. Later ones (and the v2 I have) had a Jensen which is much better. I'm not sure whether they stuck with that speaker for the later digital reverb v2?

Mine was £225 new about 10 years ago (from Peter Cook's) so I'm not sure if £175 is all that good a price?
  • V2 has better cooling iirc (more vents) but tonally they’re the same, apart from the reverb change in later V2s

My very early V1 came with a Jensen speaker which was fine but meh. I put a greenback G10 in it and it was fab
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Sounds Grest have reduced them to £299 which is pretty good and it will have a warranty. I’m sure I’ve read about some issues with valves overheating or being poorly positioned but it’s a rare amp that doesn’t draw some critical comment.
  • I don't think they're the most robustly built amp but they sound pretty good. Mine survived being lent out to a friend and getting pulled off an amp stand onto the stage floor - it stopped working but was only a case of replacing a dodgy power valve when it was checked over. So it's not that fragile!
  • I don't think they're the most robustly built amp but they sound pretty good. Mine survived being lent out to a friend and getting pulled off an amp stand onto the stage floor - it stopped working but was only a case of replacing a dodgy power valve when it was checked over. So it's not that fragile!
    Yeah I gigged mine for years. Only had one issue after I bashed it against a doorframe during a load out, which caused a single solder joint to fail. But about 6 years of gigs in total and never put a foot wrong. I'd happily buy another
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    They seem to generate happy owners and options for small 15  watter  with fx loop sub 300 are limited ie rockier Blackstar ht5r.
  • Beware the fx loop - it's a parallel loop with a fixed 50/50 mix (a bit silly really). It's fairly easy to mod to serial by removing a resisistor (and patching the in/out if not in use) - I had that confirmed by Laney support although I never got around to modding mine.