Windows 10 via a dongle. Hopeless or maybe?

SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
edited November 2017 in Off Topic
Windows 10 Laptop with an unlocked USB dongle loaded with a 2gig data bundle (30 days)
Does that sound like a possibility for a very light user (not me) needing e-mail and light browsing?

This guy seems to be saying no. He says that Windows Updates and general Microsoft traffic will destroy the data allowance in no time at all. Even on "Metered" setting.
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/manage-windows-10-data-usage/

Any thoughts? Is he right?
Any way of turning off all Windows updates in Windows 10 Home? Just for a couple of months?

Or.....what about an Android device running Lollipop 5.1? (I am thinking 10 inch Phablet). Is it easier to stop an Android device robbing data by turning things off  when compared to a Windows 10 device?

If this is not going to work we may consider the  basic Plusnet deal. But that will double the monthly cost.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    You could try this. It is a few years old, but might help.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Skipped said:
    Windows 10 Laptop with an unlocked USB dongle loaded with a 2gig data bundle (30 days)
    Does that sound like a possibility for a very light user (not me) needing e-mail and light browsing?

This guy seems to be saying no. He says that Windows Updates and general Microsoft traffic will destroy the data allowance in no time at all. Even on "Metered" setting.
    https://www.groovypost.com/howto/manage-windows-10-data-usage/

Any thoughts? Is he right?
    Any way of turning off all Windows updates in Windows 10 Home? Just for a couple of months?

Or.....what about an Android device running Lollipop 5.1? (I am thinking 10 inch Phablet). Is it easier to stop an Android device robbing data by turning things off  when compared to a Windows 10 device?

If this is not going to work we may consider the  basic Plusnet deal. But that will double the monthly cost.

When I moved in with my mother so I could go to uni she had no internet, so I relied on the internet via my phone and usb tethering...

It felt like I could sneeze and by the time my eyes were open again I'd used 2 GB it was terrible
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Thanks to both replies.

Asda have a Christmas bundle (12 gig for £10).
    We will try that and see.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I spoke personally to The Gadget Detective on Friday (Fevzi Turkalp) and I asked him about this inability to turn W10 updates off but he misunderstood pointing me to Never 10. But this situation is a bloody nightmare for me cos right now I am relying on an old laptop that I put W10 on  last year just to see what its all about on the free upgrade scheme and now every time i turn it on it wants to go through major upgrades that not only take hours and render the laptop useless but eats my data quota to boot.

This is totally unacceptable. Last year it ate so much data  (W10 took 5 days to download and install! itself fully) that my miserly TALKTALK speed of 2.4Mbps was downgraded 1.37Mbps! I had to fight to get it back up!

So, if anyone has any workrounds  - even deep registry editing, then please post.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The link that I posted might work. When Windows 10 tries to look for updates, it will fail to find them because it can't resolve the server names. When you get a better internet connection, reset the hosts file.

Windows 10 has two major updates a year. They should be smaller from next year (I think), but they will still be sizable.