amptastic - anybody got one?

https://www.amptastic.com/

matey at work has just received his, I hope he'll tell me some time next week how he gets on with it. I'm still sold on the stuff I've already got, but this looks cute and convenient, and very price-advantageous. A hifipig review http://hifipig.com/amptastic-mini-1-amplifier/ suggested they are excellent full stop not just excellent for the price,

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• matey at work says his sounds really good, but it seems to have changed (for the better) over the weekend. He says this may be a burn-in period (I didn't know solid state electronics had such a thing) or maybe just him getting used to it. I'm tempted :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited December 2017
    Mine arrived today. Doddle to connect.

1st impressions: clean sound, perhaps a little forward in the treble dept but not unpleasantly so. The most noticeable thing is that I had to turn the wick up to 3/4 of its travel to get the same perceived volume as the Arcam Alpha gave me on 1/5 of the volume pot's travel (same speakers and CD player).

Edit: By the end of the CD (Thomas Arne, Trio Sonatas, Collegium Musicum 90, Simon Standage, Chandos records) the cello was sounding a lot more authoritative and it was a pleasure to listen to. That's consistent with what my workmate said - the bass just gets better, without any losses in the midrange or treble.

I think I'm going to end up recommending this product.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    nice find Phil. just looking at it makes me feel all excited. I like minimal hifi stuff. Just thinking where I could use it...
  • Snap said:
    nice find Phil. just looking at it makes me feel all excited. I like minimal hifi stuff. Just thinking where I could use it...
    If you go for it (and at that price, who wouldn't?), let us know how you get on. As per last post it did well with a 4-piece Baroque Ensemble, so tonight I shall try it with some high energy rock - eg Vanilla Fudge Spirit of 67.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    Aaah, I know where it will fit......

In the new year, I shall be getting a new turntable, this would be perfect.

As will new speakers.......

marvelous!
  • @snap you may need a phono stage between turntable and amplifier
  • Well, I listened to Spirit of 67, which is an album that has always sounded huge on other equipment. With this little amplifier, it's just as huge but it seems more detailed. On occasions I wondered if there was enough grunt in the bass but then decided that there was plenty of bass and that more of it would have confused the sound as there was kick drum, toms, keyboards, electric bass, and the bottom end of the guitar all competing in that frequency range - more bass was not going to be the answer, and I was glad of the mid range and treble detail to help sort it all out. Plus, I had to turn the volume pot down a bit from where it was yesterday.

Still some way to go before a final conclusion but so far it seems like £130 well spent :)
  • John Mayall's Jazz/Blues Fusion is sounding excellent :)

This is a keeper :)