Correct wire for a mid-60s Gibson humbucker?

What's Hot
goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6147
I can find a lot of info about PAFs and early PAT-sticker humbuckers, but not much on slightly later pickups. So wondering if any of you vintage savvy chaps can tell me what sort of wire is correct for a mid-to-late 1960s Gibson humbucker with:
1) PAT-sticker on the underside
2) T-top bobbins
3) chrome covers

Braided outer with a single conductor wire, I think. But what colour/type of insulation?

TIA

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    goldtop said:
    I can find a lot of info about PAFs and early PAT-sticker humbuckers, but not much on slightly later pickups. So wondering if any of you vintage savvy chaps can tell me what sort of wire is correct for a mid-to-late 1960s Gibson humbucker with:
    1) PAT-sticker on the underside
    2) T-top bobbins
    3) chrome covers

Braided outer with a single conductor wire, I think. But what colour/type of insulation?

TIA
    Black waxed cotton.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7021
    tFB Trader
    I've just rewired a '64 ES-345 and the insulation was a black rubbery material which had perished and was crumbling. 

I had to remove it all and replace with cloth insulated stuff.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7021
    tFB Trader
    Sorry I should really do more than skim read posts. The guitar wiring was rubber insulation, the pickups themselves used cloth insulation. Sorry for the confusion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6147
    Thanks guys. This helps me decide if/how to restore.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    As far as I can remember, Gibson have never used anything else for single-conductor cable on the pickups.

If you do buy some, make sure it's cotton and not synthetic (not sure what exact type they use) cloth - not for any snobbery reasons but because the cotton won't melt no matter how much you heat it, which matters when you're soldering it to the back of a volume pot.

I know that rubber stuff SteveRobinson is talking about, it's a nightmare - it's usually fine as long as it's left undisturbed, but if you need to repair the loom then I agree it can be better just to replace the whole lot rather than try to troubleshoot it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein