Ernie Ball Music Man - why so few second hand Lukes?

What's Hot
GeeJayGeeJay Frets: 15
I've owned a Music Man Luke for a few years and still absolutely adore it, I think it's a fantastic guitar.

But one thing I've noticed when looking on eBay / classified sites is that there seem to be a lot less pre owned Lukes for sale compared to almost every other model of Music Man.

Does anyone have any idea if this is because they are generally less popular than other models, or because they are loved so much that people rarely sell them?

I know the above is perhaps a question without a clear answer, but I'm also just interested to hear people's opinions on them and see if maybe I'm missing out on some alternative guitars.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    A friend of mine recently bought one. He's a big Lukather fan so it surprised me that he hadn't got one long ago. Maybe they're just really rare...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14237
    tFB Trader
    Used availability is reflected by the amount of new sales so if low new sales are low, then assuming those who do buy keep, then less used for sale - hope that makes sense

I use to sell new M/Man Guitars until 12/18 months ago and whilst all M/Man sales are on the low side, compared to other brands, the Luke sales were even smaller compared to say the Axis S/Sport - I'd say very under rated guitars but EMG's are not flavour of the month to many so that will influence the market to many
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    I suspect that, after the initial model launch, distributor and retailer ordering will have been proportional to customer demand.

It cannot help that the model has undergone several revisions. Does the dedicated fanboi keep each successive variant or dump the old to acquire the new? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    The pencil-width necks might be a bit marmite...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1286
    EMGs and signtaure on headstock probably don't help, unless you mean the newer L3 models. I've recently got a Luke BFR in a trade, man what a guitar!
  • Whitecat said:
    Agreed.  Other than that it looks a great guitar.  
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • The Luke guitars cater to a certain crowd so you will only find them for sale on certain groups / forums.  On the old HRI forum Lukes used to come up for sale all the time.  On Rig-Talk they come up occasionally.  There are some Facebook groups, such as the CAE III, rack gear groups etc, which they would probably come up on too.  
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I tried one years ago. I didn’t like the V neck profile.
  • GeeJayGeeJay Frets: 15
    Whitecat said:
    This was something I was thinking about specifically actually. I have bigger than average hands so I guess in theory a smaller neck would be a disadvantage. I guess I just need to try and bunch of other high end guitars and find out if it actually suits me, or I'm just so used to it. I've not really played any other guitars for a while now.