Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What would be the most preposterous claims you can think of to bring to an insurance company ?

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
edited November 2017 in Off Topic
Just for laughs, here is my preposterous claim:

Putting in a claim to the company that insures my toyota for damage in a thermonuclear war.
Definitely good grounds for a complete respray instead of matching individual panels  damaged by the fireball.

Can you lot come up with anything better ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited November 2017
    There is a tale, within the industry, of a man who bought an extremely expensive cigar collection and then had them insured. The story goes that some months down the line he put in a claim, stating they had been destroyed in a series of small fires. The insurers refused the claim, but reported him for arson. 

I'd love it to be true but there are too many holes in it sadly.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I would be tempted to lodge a claim with an insurer for extreme underwhelming experience trauma, it dates back to 1985 and the first listen of Jimmy Page's The Firm album.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12313
    There is a tale, within the industry, of a man who bought an extremely expensive cigar collection and then had them insured. The story goes that some months down the line he put in a claim, stating they had been destroyed in a series of small fires. The insurers refused the claim, but reported him for arson. 

Must be true its in CII official courses...

Unfortunately the nuclear war wouldn't be covered, standard exclusion.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited November 2017
    munckee said:

Must be true its in CII official courses...

Unfortunately the nuclear war wouldn't be covered, standard exclusion.
    I got it from several courses, but always told tongue in cheek. I think the lesson was on exclusions or something. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I'd like to insure myself against damage to my clothing sustained by vomiting while watching Steven Spielberg's awful, sludgy, soppy, over-sentimental films.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    That’s what they said when I tried to claim for my Emmental cheese collection.

And Eric Clapton played my guitar once and broke a string, but when I tried to claim that, the insurers said they wouldn’t pay out as it was an act of god.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    I would like medical cover for PTSD in case I ever meet The Donald.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15482
    I think the renewal quote from our house insurer was pretty preposterous. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Most insurers' limitations exclusions and excesses are totally preposterous. The summary is: you pay us the premium but we are guaranteed to find reasons not to pay your claim.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • reckon i could make a claim for having to listen slade merry xmas every year since 1973 ?
  • I remember a while back when the owner of Cardiff city effectively bet against them winning the league they were in, through an insurers. They won, the insurance paid out, and every player got a massive bonus.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    I remember a while back when the owner of Cardiff city effectively bet against them winning the league they were in, through an insurers. They won, the insurance paid out, and every player got a massive bonus.
    Wow! Wouldn't that be a massive contravention of League/ FA rules? 

I seem to remember Joey Barton getting a massive ban for betting ON his team, rather than against it.

• A cow jumping onto the roof of my car.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • Most insurers' limitations exclusions and excesses are totally preposterous. The summary is: you pay us the premium but we are guaranteed to find reasons not to pay your claim.
    i remember a couple of years ago when insurers were whingeing about having to pay out for a number of 'unseasonal' freak weather conditions, and would 'unfortunately have to raise premiums' across the board. and i thought then, "if one year makes the premiums go up, how come the previous 250 years of 'normal' weather, during which time householders must have paid in hundreds and hundreds of millions in premiums, hasn't led to a gradual fall in the amounts you charge for premiums?" surely if it works one way?...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    That the insurers of the World Trade Center had to pay out twice the amount because 9/11 was two separate incidents.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    A cow jumping onto the roof of my car.
    I’ve seen that happen. The woman in the front passenger seat was in serious shock for ages after
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16077
    My sister had a goat jump onto the roof of her car ..........it was a convertible and the goat's hoofs ripped the fabric ;it got it's legs stuck in the roof hurting her and damaged the internal leather seats ..........Fire brigade got it out
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    I've seen a sheep jump onto the bonnet of a car as well. This seems to be quite a theme with dim herbivores…

The car was going quite fast unfortunately - the sheep smashed the windscreen and bent the pillar, but luckily didn't end up in the car. Unluckily (for the sheep) it did end up dead.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 185
    A cow jumping onto the roof of my car.
    My dad had the open door torn off a work minibus by a galloping cow.  When they've just been separated from their calves they're pretty determined to get back towards them.  He had some difficulty resisting the urge to fill in the claim form with "Colour of other vehicle; black and white.  Model; Fresian..."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There is a tale, within the industry, of a man who bought an extremely expensive cigar collection and then had them insured. The story goes that some months down the line he put in a claim, stating they had been destroyed in a series of small fires. The insurers refused the claim, but reported him for arson. 

There's a song on Brad Paisley's Mud On The Tyres album about that.